BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a facelift model with LED rear lights which I think really make the car look modern, but the brake lights make it look old fashioned to me.

I've never seen any threads about trying to upgrade the brake lights to LED and can't believe no-one has ever thought about this any thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us thought about it but just never got around to doing anything about it. Those bulbs are also monitored by the LCM but you can code the LCM to turn off monitoring. I'm not sure how much of a difference an LED bulb will make for Brake lights. I have already dealt with substandard and overpriced supposedly good License plate LED's and gave up on those. They all eventually started to flicker and fail, even the expensive ones.

Some have modded the 3rd brake light with LED's and also made them do the panic stop fast blinking and slow blinking on regular stops.

What were you thinking?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was thinking about a more serious mod and trying to do some kind of modern LED conversion rather than simply fitting LED bulbs.
It's beyond my ability but there are some very inventive people on here and I'd have thought someone would have tried something over the years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Well I was thinking about a more serious mod and trying to do some kind of modern LED conversion rather than simply fitting LED bulbs.
It's beyond my ability but there are some very inventive people on here and I'd have thought someone would have tried something over the years.
I hear ya and I thought that's what you were getting at. One could probably take some RED LED strips, hook them up in series and make some interesting patterns in addition to making it much brighter.

Do we have any volunteers? :greenflag:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
How do you remove the rear windshield bulb?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Barry, thanks! yeah I took a look at that, but I should have been more specific: how do you remove the plastic cover?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I'm sure it has been thought of before. I think most don't want to deal with the hassle of "check bulb" warnings, taking it to get decoded, etc. Plus, looks like LED bulbs don't do much. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Well there doesn't seem to be much appetite for LED brake lights, anyone fancy trying a pair of $61 dollar LEDs :lightbulb: White LED lights for cars tail lights

I'm tempted on the basis they should give a nice uniform light, the chap who's designed them looks like he has too much time on his hands: F430 LED Tail Lights Comparison and Review - Ferrari Life
Those look nice and well designed. They look quite long though which might be an issue. If you get them, consider getting the red ones as the white ones may look a bit orange through the lenses. I have red led's in another vehicle and they look good. I was hoping you were gonna be more creative!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally would love to see an LED retrofit kit for all of the signal lights on the car (i.e. front and rear turn signals, brake/reversing lights, and fender indicators). Couple a kit like that to the already available white LED halos and LED license plate lights and you have a winning combination in my mind. I know it is purely ascetic, but I think it would really help modernize the E39 even more.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you get them, consider getting the red ones as the white ones may look a bit orange through the lenses.
The red type have the double bayonet end so are intended for tail/brake light use, as our brake lights are single bayonet I wasn't sure if they'd work

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Once I get my E39 I will figure out an LED bulb solution for the third brake light. The reason I want to do it is because I've seen enough of those third brake light assemblies completely melted that I can justify the cost of an LED bulb conversion to prevent that headache.

Deleting the bulb unit and installing a LED strip along the top of the rear windshield may also be an interesting solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts