BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why oh why does the E60 not have LED brake lights on the rear?:mad: Even the E39 had them from 01' on!!!!! Even the new E90 has them!!!! I thought for sure the 85k plus M5 would have them but no.:sad3:

I'm guessing they will not arrive until the 08' facelift. Can anyone concur with this and also tell me why such a great car was designed with out them!??????

·
Registered
955 Posts
fische said:
Can someone tell me why oh why does the E60 not have LED brake lights on the rear?:mad: Even the E39 had them from 01' on!!!!! Even the new E90 has them!!!! I thought for sure the 85k plus M5 would have them but no.:sad3:

I'm guessing they will not arrive until the 08' facelift. Can anyone concur with this and also tell me why such a great car was designed with out them!??????
for the record, E60 already has LED brake light. more specifically, LED central brake light. so the brake light response on the E60 is as good as any other car with LED brake light.

and E39 never has LED brake light either. though those four horizontal illuminating red brake indication lines looks like LED, but they aren't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tifosi said:
for the record, E60 already has LED brake light. more specifically, LED central brake light. so the brake light response on the E60 is as good as any other car with LED brake light.

and E39 never has LED brake light either. though those four horizontal illuminating red brake indication lines looks like LED, but they aren't.
Okay, let me be a little more specific- both the 6 and 7 series have LED
taillights as do most high-end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes etc.) These lights
are NOT the central brake lights but are incorporated into the rear taillights
as an additional safety measure. Other mid-size sedans have them as well-
the new GS430, Infiniti M45, Merc E500/E55, Audi A6, BMW M3 and E46 coupe(2004 on)and the list goes on.

So my question is why was the E60 designed without them?grrrrrrr

·
Registered
955 Posts
fische said:
Okay, let me be a little more specific- both the 6 and 7 series have LED
taillights as do most high-end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes etc.) These lights
are NOT the central brake lights but are incorporated into the rear taillights
as an additional safety measure. Other mid-size sedans have them as well-
the new GS430, Infiniti M45, Merc E500/E55, Audi A6, BMW M3 and E46 coupe(2004 on)and the list goes on.

So my question is why was the E60 designed without them?grrrrrrr
i don't see the why you are complaining.

the advantage of LED brake light is that they are extremly responsive. thus, it is make the car somewhat safer. and on that regard, E60 has that cover, because it has central brake light in LED.

however, one disadvantage of LEDs in rear light cluster is that the cluster will much more expensive than conventional light bulb. and if somehow one of the LEDs in the cluster fails, you will have to replace the whole cluster. it is just not very cost effective.

as i see it. E60's set up has the best balance of safety and cost.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I beg to differ. If the E46 M3 has them as standard, then why o why not on the big brother M5 ?? It is not even offered as an option :confused2

Jonas

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I thought the E60 was supposed to get LED's in conjunction with the introduction of the progressive brake light technology?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts