BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you're supposed to leave the transmission in gear when you switch the car off or do you leave it in neutral?

There is not mention of this in the manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
AUH M5 said:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you're supposed to leave the transmission in gear when you switch the car off or do you leave it in neutral?

There is not mention of this in the manual.

Thanks
I leave mine in gear like I would any manual gearbox car, added saftey on handbrake.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I thought the car automatically engages a gear even if you switch off in N to stop you rolling down a hill. Am I wrong in assuming this?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I thought the car automatically engages a gear even if you switch off in N to stop you rolling down a hill. Am I wrong in assuming this?
Very wrong. My M5 rolled away when I parked it for lunch today in N. Thank goodness I was quick enough to jump back in and pull the handbrack on. Silly me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If I shut off the engine with gear engaged, I get a warning "blong". If I do it, with car in N, but no hand brake, I also get a "blong". Seems it preferes to be shut down with N and handbrake engaged.

Jonas

·
Registered
559 Posts
The SMG system likes you to shut it down with a gear engaged and start it up in neutral. Works every time!

As Sydl mentioned, be sure to fully engage the parking brake especially when parked on inclines.

Best regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts