BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!

Now I drive low milage 02 M5 which is brilliant. I really cant say anything bad about this car. It looks grate, it is superb as daily car - soft, without vibrations, goes amazing, interior is great, qualitative.

Now I'm thinking, is it worth to sell it and buy E60 M5? I'm not fan of its looks and gearbox is rubbish while driving in town, but I drive a lot in town. Also think E39 M5's interior is better built. Isn't it?

But maybe the way to go is new M3 with manual gearbox? It is new model and it has manual gearbox. Dont like interior. Have tried 335i on 19" wheels and it was terribly firm. Is M3 the same? Here in Latvia we dont have best roads in the world :D

Any opinions? Are thouse new M cars better than E39 M5 considering it will be driven in town daily?

Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
So basically, you are perfectly happy with the E39 M5, it does everything it should, and you hate the E60 M5 gearbox and you don't like the E92 M3 interior?

Not sure I understand why you want to change... :cool2: :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want something new. I was changing my cars every 6-12 months, E39 M5 I drive allready 18 months :D And it has 6 years, despite 42k km mileage

·
Registered
792 Posts
Edgar,
I was in the same sort of spot your are in right now back in December.
I owned a 2000 M5 with 92km on it and I loved it but I was looking for something newer. I ended up buying an E60 M5 (production date of May '06).

I didn't really like the look of the new E60 either but let me tell you it grows on you. Lets face it nothing can even come close to the classic look and perfection of the E39 body style.

I had heard the same things you heard about the SMG gear box. Have you driven an E60 with SMG? It might change your mind. I use mine as a daily driver in the city mostly and just love it. You have to find the right setting combination for your own comfort level. Mine happens to be S 5 with DSC on however if the mood strikes me I just hit the "M" button and BAM the whole car changes into this 507hp monster.

As for the quality of interior of the car goes if you get the extended leather package (which I did) the car looks great. I really love the suede head liner.

You can't really compare the two cars (E39 with E60) the technology is so far advanced it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

I was afraid I made a mistake buying the new E60 M5. But after driving the car for a few days I realized I had made a great choice. I mean it's a BMW M5 after all.

IMHO I would go for it. Be sure to get all the options you can (I did).

Good luck with your decision.

:cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Great post ;) No, I have'nt driven E60. But will try. But will be chance to try new M3 for one day.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Gotta have the latest and greatest....

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
my E39 is the first car I have renewed a lease on, test drove the E60, did nothing for me. The 3 is too small for my liking (also only 2 door at present).

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
E39 M5 vs. E60 M5

IMHO there's not a better daily driver than the Dinan S3 M5. I drive mine in NYC traffic practically every day and she is an absolute dream. I believe AGA is running a promotion whereby they will arrange to ship your car to them and do the conversion. If you can get by the cost element and the hassle factor, it's the only way to fly.

Hi, guys!

Now I drive low milage 02 M5 which is brilliant. I really cant say anything bad about this car. It looks grate, it is superb as daily car - soft, without vibrations, goes amazing, interior is great, qualitative.

Now I'm thinking, is it worth to sell it and buy E60 M5? I'm not fan of its looks and gearbox is rubbish while driving in town, but I drive a lot in town. Also think E39 M5's interior is better built. Isn't it?

But maybe the way to go is new M3 with manual gearbox? It is new model and it has manual gearbox. Dont like interior. Have tried 335i on 19" wheels and it was terribly firm. Is M3 the same? Here in Latvia we dont have best roads in the world :D

Any opinions? Are thouse new M cars better than E39 M5 considering it will be driven in town daily?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts