BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved the matte mettalic plastic shift knobs that were in the '00 M5's, but I've never gotten around to getting one and I knew LeatherZ had them. I thought I deserved a little reward recently, so I went out on their site yesterday and got one.

I had no idea, but their options include ordering one with the matte metallic top like I wanted and then ALACANTRA on the bottom. Does anybody love the feel of this material as much as I do? I find myself just touching near the sunroof when I'm at a stoplight and anybody who comes in my car is just drawn to its' suede-like feel.....and now in a shift knob no less! Yes, it's the little things in life I get off on.

I should reciieve it sometime next week, but I thought this a nice addition to my mostly stock beast. I will post pics so you can see if it matches the interior finish. I think it should come pretty close.....well, I hope it does, anyway.

Cheers!

·
Registered
962 Posts
looking forward to your reaction and pics...I'm sure the alcantara will wear smooth after a year or so of regular use (as I've read the alcantara steering wheels do), but will be great for the year!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking forward to your reaction and pics...I'm sure the alcantara will wear smooth after a year or so of regular use (as I've read the alcantara steering wheels do), but will be great for the year!

I was thinking the exact same thing, but I was giving it 2 years. What if I start off in 3rd gear everytime from a stop? Now wouldn't that extend the life of the alacantra by at least 6 months???? ouich

·
Registered
962 Posts
how many shift knobs = clutch job?

Do a search on alcantara steering wheels...I think mottati? maybe, had one and IIRC said it wore at 3/9 positions after about a year

Good luck starting in 3rd - you'll need a new clutch in no time! I'm not sure how many shift knobs you can buy for the cost of a clutch job but it's a lot :eek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Alcantara is fine on places you won't be touching much, like the headliner.

But an alcantara steering wheel and shift knob is going to show wear far quicker than traditional leather coverings will.

·
10,456 Posts
i love alcantara, and i did have a alcantara steering wheel (still have it, want to buy it!) It started showing a little wear after a year or 16k miles or so. Not bad, just starting to wear. For me, i missed the red/blue M stitching, and i came across a nice 03 m5 wheel, so i swapped it. Have thought about putting the alcantara back in for a while, but would also sell it to make some space, moving in a couple weeks and should really try to get rid of some of this extra stuff. couple hundred bucks shipped anyone?
Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry this took so long to post. I don't know how many of you get excited over shift knobs, but I've always loved the original knob that came on the '00 models and Leather Z makes a great one. I got mine with the alacantra, which I do like. Leather probably would've been better, but the alacantra feels fine and looks pretty cool, too. The little ball knobs are too short for me and I just wasn't thrilled with the factory knob. Geez, I sound like Goldilocks! .....this one is juuuuust right. Enjoy the pics.

BTW, Andy at Leather Z was great. I was having a little trouble installing the knob myself, as mine is illuminated. Andy simply requested I send it back so he could install an adapter and I had the knob back in about 3 days. Great customer service and I highly recommend them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
does the shifter still light up?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
looks good keving, now you just need the alcantara shift boot. (mine's in the mail) :biggrinbounce:

·
10,456 Posts
i have a shifter that was replaced under warranty not too long ago, so the shifter is like new, however the emblem has bubbles in it. i would like replace it. is it possible just to replace this piece:

yes, it is, and i like that one too!
It should just carefully pry out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts