BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I got a Whalen shift knob custom made by Doug Whalen (he's a great guy, very easy to work with, does awesome work, and is FAST).

Then about a month ago I got a Dinan SSK bolted in, which significantly tightened up the shifting again, and shortened the throw some.

(for those looking at SSk's, and really want to shorten the throw, the Dinan might not be the one. It's said to shorten the throw by about 17%, which is probably does.. but it's not like "whoa this is short!" Qship has a UUC (?) SSK and it's definitely shorter. But the Dinan is good and tight, precise shifting.)

Finally yesterday I got my new shift boot in from Leather Z. I went with alcantara, and the M stitching. I love the look, though I've got to fuss about with it some more as now it still looks a bit "baggy".

Anyway, wanted to share my new stuff..

Take care guys

- Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Even though it doesn't shorten the throws that much, it sure shortens the shifter height. I think that it looks awesome. I have the e60 short shifter (which I have heard is the same as Dinan), but I have yet to put it in. I have a round knob as well, so I am hoping that it comes out similar to yours!

:cheers:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I like the looks. How heavy is that knob?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Very nice detail on the shift knob...looks awesome...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I think the knob weighs something like 24 ounces, it's pretty heavy. Gotta be at least a pound and a half.

Just putting the knob on the stock shift lever it drops the height by about 1/2 an inch, and changed the feel of the shifter (cause of the weight)

Doug Whalen makes a killer product.

- Tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice....finally another M5 owner with the knob that has my design on it

How did you like the little polish ring on it ?? Heard doug that my idea on the ring was the first he made...glad you choose it too :cheers:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken,

that polished ring is a damn nice touch, and really completes the knob IMO.

Good work!

- Tim

·
Registered
289 Posts
That Whalen knob is really nice. I debated between that exact one and the ZHP knob and ended up with the latter (partly because of cost). But after seeing yours... I should have gone the other way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
looks cool!
Does it get hot in the sun?
I am wary of all-metal shift knobs.
Maybe you could answer this better after the summer.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ian,

Yeah I'll have a better answer as we get deeper into summer, but from how much sun it's gotten thus far, it's not too bad.. no worse than anything else that gets hot in the car anyway..

does get cold during the winter though..

- Tim

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Love the engraved knob, good looking all around :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts