BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to determine whether or not the center console of my '02 Sport interior was lined with genuine or synthetic leather, I contactd BMWUSA and received the following details on the two types of trim (Sport and Luxury). The rep indicated that this is specifically for '02 and that he/she had not pulled information for any other model year.

> Sport
> This interior theme highlights the M5's stunningly sporty and high-tech
> nature, and features Nappa Point leather stamped appearance similar to ostrich
> leather) with Extended coverage (i.e., more extensive than that in the 540i
> sedan). Seats are cross-pleated at relatively wide intervals; the standard
> trim material is aluminum-look. Upholstery materials are summarized in the
> table below:
>
> Seat center areas // Nappa Point leather
> Seat side areas // Nappa leather
> Back sides of seats, Head-restraint centers and sides, Door-panel inserts //
> Nappa Point leather
> Door panels // Foam-backed grained material
> Door armrests/pulls // Nappa leather
> Door ledges, Main and upper dash areas, Glove-compartment door // Shaped skin
> (leather grain)
> Center console and armrest // Nappa leather
> Rear parcel shelf // Velour cloth
> Headliner, incl. sun visors & A-, B upper and C-pillar // Alcantara
> B-pillar lower // Grained plastic
>
> Luxury
> This interior theme puts the accent on luxury. The Nappa Heritage leather used
> here is ultra-soft, and is applied even more extensively than in the
> corresponding Sport version. Seat pleating is longitudinal, with closely
> spaced pleats. The Luxury interior is available in Black and Caramel, the
> latter being especially warm. Here, Bruyere Club wood trim is standard, with
> Burl Walnut as a no-cost alternative.
>
> Seat center areas // Nappa Heritage leather
> Seat side areas, Back sides of seats, Head-restraint centers and sides //
> Nappa Heritage leather
> Door-panel inserts // Nappa Heritage leather
> Door panels // Nappa Heritage leather
> Door armrests/pulls // Nappa Heritage leather
> Door ledges // Nappa Heritage leather
> Upper dash areas // Nappa leather
> Main dash areas // Nappa Heritage leather
> Glove-compartment door // Nappa Heritage leather
> Center console and armrest // Nappa Heritage leather
> Rear parcel shelf // Alcantara
> Headliner, incl. sun visors & A-, B upper and C-pillar // Alcantara
> B-pillar lower // Nappa leather</pre>

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've seen this before. There is still documentation that contradicts this information and says that the top of the dash is not leather in 2002 and forward on any M5 -- rather a very good vinyl to resist cracking by the sun.

I guess it really doesn't matter, except in caring for the vinyl vs leather. The only thing that is certain that if you asked the same question to BMWNA tomorrow, you will probably get a different answer. BMWNA customer service doesn't know these things, and they often are in error in what they report. I personally have received several answers that were proven "incorrect" on other questions I have asked.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually mentioned this to the rep after I received the email, and he reiterated that the dash material for the Luxury trim is in fact leather, and any information to the contrary is inaccurate.

The leather conditioner v. vinyl dressing issue is exactly why I asked, although I was only concerned about the center console as I have the Sport trim.

Digi said:
I've seen this before. There is still documentation that contradicts this information and says that the top of the dash is not leather in 2002 and forward on any M5 -- rather a very good vinyl to resist cracking by the sun.

I guess it really doesn't matter, except in caring for the vinyl vs leather. The only thing that is certain that if you asked the same question to BMWNA tomorrow, you will probably get a different answer. BMWNA customer service doesn't know these things, and they often are in error in what they report. I personally have received several answers that were proven "incorrect" on other questions I have asked.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
If the dash on my '02 luxury interior M5 is not leather, it is THE best imitation I have ever seen. Looks, feels and smells like leather. For care purposes, I would probably rather it NOT be leather, but it sure looks nice!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That's cool. Many people (including myself) didn't know the sports seats were stamped nappa lather to look like ostrich. I kept hearing it was ostrich.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The dash on the MY01 forward is not leather. This was an option in the MY00 but not going forward. It is a very good copy of leather, but thankfully not real. I have seen a dash cover off and you can really tell around the edges that it is not real.

Does anyone here have a MY00 with the real leather dash. It would be quite an undertaking to keep it from cracking over time.

Mark

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just picked up an '02 and I would have sworn the dash was real leather before reading this!! What are you guys using to clean the dash, I'm now afraid to use either leather or vinyl cleaners.

Bernard

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was going to make a post about these materials, as I was unsure. I have a 02 with Sport interior. If I read this correctly, and the other posts. The entire dash is not leather, buy vinyl? Top and bottom portions?

And on the doors, the inserts are leather, as is the handles, but the other areas are not? Ergo, if you have 2 tone doors, the colored portion is leather, and the handle pull is leather, but everything else that is black is vinyl?

I just want to make sure I use leather cleaner/condition on leather surfaces, and not my vinyl condition.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
MAH said:
The dash on the MY01 forward is not leather. This was an option in the MY00 but not going forward. It is a very good copy of leather, but thankfully not real. I have seen a dash cover off and you can really tell around the edges that it is not real.

Does anyone here have a MY00 with the real leather dash. It would be quite an undertaking to keep it from cracking over time.

Mark
MY00 has the real leather dash. I get numerous compliments on it from my passengers. Everyone, including myself, love that option:cool:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have an '02 with luxury interior. The top of the dash is different than the rest of the interior. It is not as soft. I've always heard it is not leather but it would be the best imitation leather I've ever seen. I've often wondered if it is the same as the "leatherette" in base BMWs.

Edit: PS, Ive not used protectant or leather conditioner on it. Just a damp cloth and it still looks like new even after 4 years in the NC sun.

The only issue I have is wear marks on the side bolsters of the drivers seat. Has anyone tried to touch up their leather?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The center console is leather...if that hasn't already been established. I have the sport interiror and had a new console put in. I saw both the old and new. Definately leather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts