BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for product for leather care on regulars basis? Not lexol it's too sticky this car has full leather.

·
Registered
226 Posts
wondering samething. I got the red leather on my e60 m5 and its starting to dry out and get a bit dirty? (sorry not trying to thread jack)

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Only use Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

90% of products simply covers the seat with sludge.

The reason why leather cracks it's because of oils and dirt in the leather which dries and cracks the leather.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I new leatherique was the best around but a little pricey but maybe not in the long run. Especially on dash board, door panels etc. I will look into both thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
+1 on leatherique. I just used it once again today and it works awesome. It completely restored my leather to just as close to a factory new look as you could ask for, and it even took out, yes took out some of the slight wrinkles aka. butt prints in the rear seats and front seats. For the best results I like to use it for two consecutive days in a row.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anybody know for sure whether our leather is coated (urethane, etc) or not and if leather conditioner actually gets to the leather? I've searched a lot on this (here and other forums) and there seems to be nothing conclusive on whether we should be using regular leather conditioner or vinyl type conditioner.

It seems that bmw has different grades of leather, with only the highest grade not being coated?

I just spent 2k on replacement leather interior for my m5 and I want to keep it nice forever.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The full Leatherique treatment is recommended every few years...kind of a pain, but worth it. For regular maintenance, I like the convenance of a one-step product. The only one that has met my standards is Einszett Lederpflege. Plus the name is cool.

Anybody know for sure whether our leather is coated (urethane, etc) or not and if leather conditioner actually gets to the leather? I've searched a lot on this (here and other forums) and there seems to be nothing conclusive on whether we should be using regular leather conditioner or vinyl type conditioner.

It seems that bmw has different grades of leather, with only the highest grade not being coated?

I just spent 2k on replacement leather interior for my m5 and I want to keep it nice forever.
Congrats on the redo! Yes, definitely leather products, not those for vinyl! There are many grades of BMW leather to be sure, but I'd use leather care products on all of them. The E39 M5 heritage leather is their highest grade, which of course makes it high maintenance. The sport interior is a bit less so, but I'd still recommend the same products.

Post some pictures of your refurbish!

·
Registered
184 Posts
+1 on leatherique. I just used it once again today and it works awesome. It completely restored my leather to just as close to a factory new look as you could ask for, and it even took out, yes took out some of the slight wrinkles aka. butt prints in the rear seats and front seats. For the best results I like to use it for two consecutive days in a row.
When you say you use it for 2 days in a row, do you mean you let the Rejuvenator Oil sit for 2 days before cleaning it with Pristine Clean?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
When you say you use it for 2 days in a row, do you mean you let the Rejuvenator Oil sit for 2 days before cleaning it with Pristine Clean?
Yup. You need to let the stuff soak in for a day in a nice hot temps. Then you wipe it off with water and towel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the BMW factory OEM leather conditioner(BMW Leather Care Kit with UV protection 13.53 fl.oz for $16.50 purchased from BMW dealer Tischer BMW at "getBMWParts.com") with excellent results. Rub it on in circular motion with provided sponge and let soak, then wipe off with supplied cloth. I repeat this many times over a week to slowly enhance it. I even let it soak in longer and wipe off slight residue. It's not oily, no bad smell,etc..
Perhaps it helps if the leather is in good shape already but it brings back the supple feel and smell. It's reasonably priced and can be re-applied many times to soften the leather to like-new condition. Removes slight cracks, etc...
I have the 'complete' black heritage leather interior and use it on all leather surfaces. Really brings the dash back to life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my solution

I had used a domestic leather cleaner/treatment and also Autoglym....pretty ordinary results. My motor trimmer told me to use Lux (pure soap flakes) found in the detergent/laundry section of your supermarket. Dissolved a handful in about 5 litres of warm water then got to it with a soft scrubbing brush and it took about an hour all up to clean and WOW a huge improvement and because the soap lifted the grime accumulated over the years it was immediately softer. He then told me to use Croc Oil which they applied to my seat after some repairs but as yet I havent purchased any, but a link below which seems to have a range of different products. The more commercial leather treatments would probably work better once leather is super clean

Leather Maintenance and these guys are based in Malibu

The motor trimmer has been in the business over 40 years and works on show winners so I tend to trust their suggestions.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Haven't heard of these other products but I have always had great luck with Griots Leather Care. 14 years and still looks great.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Gentlemen,

Leather care is not only about the brand you pick or how long you let a product soak (which I never really understood anyway, but I'm not a Leatherique guy). It won't matter what product you end up buying, if you do not give the leather the regular attention it requires.

Below is some of the experience I shared already on the E34 forum:

I would just like to throw in some tips and experience, which may help you and others preserving the leather interior for many years to come:

1. Gently vacuum clean the leather regularly to reduce abrasion from dirt, soiling and other particles on the leather surface. Dirt will function as a mini sand paper as you sit and move on the seat. It is important to keep the leather seams and surface clean.

2. I would advise that every 1 to 2 months you give a wipedown to your leather with a maintenance product, which will take you no more than 10 minutes, to help prevent the following damage:

. UV rays are damaging to the leather finish, so protection is essential. If the car sits regularly outside on the sun, then make the leather wipedown a once a month routine. Having a window tint is an advantage in this situation.

. Body oils and dye transfer from clothing (specially jeans) should be cleaned and removed before they become a stubborn stain.

3. If the leather is creating folds on the bolsters, then consider replacing the seat foam to keep the leather stretched and in place on the seat as original.

4. Once or twice a year, depending on usage, properly clean the leather with dedicated leather products. Maintaining it will not be troublesome if starting from a good preparation.

Keep constant care of your leather and it will last through the years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts