BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's interesting because I saw the same M5, with the same pics, for sale on autotrader about a month ago for $12k.... Approach with caution... Something must be up

·
Registered
365 Posts
Least expensive ?!

You mean MOST expensive after you figure out what is wrong with it..............

ssomed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take it to get a pre purchase inspection at your BMW tech before you even consider buying this car. Looks okay cosmetically, but I'd be careful.

·
Registered
797 Posts
First M5 I took for a test drive was selling for $13k in Arlington, TX, was Jet Black, and had about the same miles. It also had a history of frame damage on the CarFax.

I passed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
First M5 I took for a test drive was selling for $13k in Arlington, TX, was Jet Black, and had about the same miles. It also had a history of frame damage on the CarFax.

I passed.
If the one you looked at had that much wrong with it, can you imagine what is wrong with this one?! I don't know but there has to be plenty of repairs ahead on it!:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello i just talked my wife out of an SUV and she is coming to see a used m5. Now i have a 4 year old and a 8 month old both boys do u think this is a safe decision on my part my wife likes to speed to but shes carefull, I would love for her to be an m chick i have had E30m3 E36m3 and now E46 m3 2001. As far as space do you think she will be okay
my wife has had a passat, camry, and honda pillot before this

sorry but could not find the starter thread

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive seen cheaper in the for sale section of this forum. IIRC it was an 01 with 140k miles for 12800 in Colorado. Ive even seen one on Boston craigslist for 9000 OBO, IIRC it had over 200k miles on it.

These cars are getting cheaper and cheaper, but the cost of ownership is not going down along with the value of these cars.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hello i just talked my wife out of an SUV and she is coming to see a used m5. Now i have a 4 year old and a 8 month old both boys do u think this is a safe decision on my part my wife likes to speed to but shes carefull, I would love for her to be an m chick i have had E30m3 E36m3 and now E46 m3 2001. As far as space do you think she will be okay
my wife has had a passat, camry, and honda pillot before this

sorry but could not find the starter thread
The M may be a little small for her in terms of carrying capacity with the kids and "stuff" they need. Best thing is to take the M home and pack it and see if it works. The woofers take up a lot of space in the trunk. With 2 young growing kids, an SAV/SUV may be your best bet. btw, as a friendly suggestion, it might be a good idea not to hijack this thread (unintentionally) and post the question in a separate thread. You would probably get more responses and opinions as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I recently bought my 02 M5, which was definitely on the lower end of the price scale and it needed a fair amount of work when I got it. I had to address.....

Rear diff mount
Diff front seal
Front control arm bushings
Sloppy shifter
AC charge
Replaced broken sway bar mount
Replaced shifter and shift bushings

All in all I spent a fair amount of time in labor working on the car, but I didn't spend very much on parts (maybe $300) and it drives perfectly now.

If you do your own work these cars aren't really that expensive to own. If I had paid a dealer for labor on all of that work could have easily spent $3k instead of $300.

·
Registered
235 Posts
^ +1 DIY all the way!

a cheap car does not automatically make it an abused car...however it has to be approached with caution. just my .02 cent. PPO is a must in this case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my 02 for just under $15k. I have all the service records since the 1200 mile service and the previous owner replaced control arm bushings and a few other of the known issues. I replaced the clutch, Mafs, plugs, and fuel filter and the car runs great. Cheap does not ALWAYS mean bad... like a few other posters said you just have to procede with caution.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
It will be the usual stuff that adds up quickly on a car with deferred maintenance. Suspension components, leaky valve cover gaskets, dead secondary air system with illuminated SES light, etc etc. DIY with some indy work if needed will keep costs down. Obviously you'd want to budget some $$ for this stuff. PPI is ALWAYS a good idea.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hows that working out for him? :eek:oohhh:
Great, it came with service records from the past seven years and the PO was a cca memeber. The only issues have been the thermostat, replacing a cracked windshield, rear oxygen sensors and two CPS's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts