BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My lease is up shortly and I'm completely at loss on where to go next. I purchased an 08' Evo X in the hope of finding a toss able, and highly tunable daily driver that could be tracked a couple of times a year. Everything was looking like I had found a winner until I put 150 miles on in one day. At the end my backside and thighs were very sore as I'm fairly certain my physique was probably not part of the key demographics for this car. Despite this it is really an amazing car with more legroom in the back seat than the M5 albeit a trunk so small that my helmet bag and a duffel bag fill it up. Switching from one vehicle to another really shows that despite the M5 aggressive nature it feels so relaxed and luxurious when compared to the manic EVO. I have driven the new M3 coupe and like many things about it but can't get past the very cramped, nearly useless back seat, not to mention 100hp loss. I have also looked at the Lexus ISF and really like the styling, but again do not like the two bucket back seat design as I have three small children.

So why not just keep my M5? I have thought about this at great length. 1st please understand that I feel the M5 is the best, most fun and practical vehicle I have ever owned. I also get and appreciate the goals of SMG and really like it as most do here. However we are the very, very small minority on this. This universal hatred for SMG combined with the introduction of the double clutch system leads me to believe that the M5 is unfortunately destined for massive near term depreciation. Recent results from Mannheim support this as many low mileage 06' are trading well under $50K:eek:oohhh: Given that this has not yet caught up to retail prices my car at an price much higher than I think they will be in short order.
So do I sit it out for a few months and see if my prediction is true and pick up another low mileage M5 for high $40's -making this the deal of the century?
Or is there something else out there that I'm missing?
Sorry to ramble but I needed to get this out and get some feedback as my wife refuses to listen this kind of “nonsense”.
Edit: I do have a GTR on order but due to all the BS from the dealers I don't expect deliver until at least next year.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
'Seems easy.....

1) 'Assume your lease ending residual value buyout is WAY above current market; so no reason to do that and keep the car (unless BMWNA will accept a MUCH lower buyout ('cause they already know what the car will auction for). Then, you could pay for an extended BMW warranty and keep her.

2) 'Noticed in your sig you have a new GT-R on order?? Umm, assuming you'd get it for MSRP, THAT would be more than a suitable replacement for your M5 (probably not as much room; but certainly performance wise!!).

3) Simply let your lease run it's term, turn it in, then lease an '08. Geez, dealers are giving those things away these days; and 'doesn't appear BMWNA has lowered residuals to mirror expected future market reality. You could get a hellava deal on a new one!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A new 08' with a sizable discount? I have not seen many in my market unless they are manual. Anyone have any feedback on this? Yes a GTR is on order but I don't think I will see it for sometime and it will not be a daily driver, probably replace the Evo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Buy your lease. You know where it's been, unlike a used one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My lease is up next month. Can't find anything close to the versatility of this car so it makes sense to buy it at the reduced cost.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
lease another, like I did. I couldn't find anything better - my 3rd M5. The 08 tweeks made a difference to me over my 06. By the time this lease is up there will be something better out there if not the next generation M5?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts