BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I'm getting the front bumper painted and it's really easy to remove. Thanks to a few tips from cndalpina (Rob) it is so simple. All you need to do is remove the black trim pieces which exposes 4 nuts, remove and the cover slides straight off. Before doing that, though you need to disconnect the foglight plugs, the outside air temperature probe and the headlight washers. I had the headlight washer tank out anyway, so it was already disconnected at the pump.

At tip on the black strips, using a small flat blade screwdriver, start prying from from the front closest to the licence plate and work towards the outer corner. When you get to the corner, pull the strip forward as the clips on the sides are u-shaped and will break otherwise.

2. My intercooler is bent slightly at the bottom, obviously from a minor hit. It looks to be intact, but the bottom plate is bent and some of the fins are folded over. There is a small tag on the IC and its dated 08/95, therefore it is not original. The paint has peeled off and I think I will try cleaning it up and painting it flat black.

Any advice on trying to repair the IC? It does not appear to be leaking though.

3. The headlamp washers not only squirts on the headlamps, but also points down to the foglamps - neat!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
you will learn more and more new things the more you play with it, i wouldnt even think about repairing the ic just get it copied to the same spec custom made may be even slightly bigger, will not cost as much as a new one from alpina...:cheers:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am in the process of installing a new one on my car - will keep you posted as to how it goes...

·
Registered
711 Posts
What you can do is remove the intercooler and pour some petrol in it, swirl it around and see how much dirt comes out - you'll be amazed.

Also, if you have a leak, you'll see where it's coming from. I had a tiny hole caused by a stone or something and had it soldered up. No performance loss but I felt it was worth doing.

Cheers,

Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts