BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure out exactly where the water is penetrating my car.. I spray the front driver side of the windscreen and get water running down the inside carpet (see attached pics) I pulled the air filter and the gromets I can see appear good, I would prefer not to pull everything apart without a bit more guidance on where to look to save time. I've scoured the boards and I am thinking that the cover could be the problem as there is a gap between it and the windscreen.
Help?

thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
In your first picture, locate the wiper motor (approx top center). Now look next to it, slightly right and down. See that hole? There's supposed to be a grommet there. That's probably the source. Another way to see this is to unscrew the kick panel under the steering wheel, and look for ambient light coming through the hole.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
In your first picture, locate the wiper motor (approx top center). Now look next to it, slightly right and down. See that hole? There's supposed to be a grommet there. That's probably the source. Another way to see this is to unscrew the kick panel under the steering wheel, and look for ambient light coming through the hole.

Eagle eyes....I didnt notice that was missing. That'll def let some water in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cool, I'll look harder for similar holes. I was planning on pulling the inside out tomorrow to look for entry ways in reverse, but figured after looking through the boards I'd ask if anyone has any advice or experience first.
BTW it has the original windscreen near as I can tell. I have no record of a replacement, I'm the second owner and the previous kept meticulous records.

Half of my battle is learning this specific car and what is normal. I'm used to working on race cars and Porsche's...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If the windshield has been replaced theres also quite the possibility that it was imcorrectly installed. Ive seen it quite a few times, also on my truck, it leaked on the sides and water ran down and soaked my carpet. Thank god it was only my beater truck lol. I would seal that grommet and re-check, if theres still leaks, its very possible its from the windshield.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
If the windshield has been replaced theres also quite the possibility that it was imcorrectly installed. Ive seen it quite a few times, also on my truck, it leaked on the sides and water ran down and soaked my carpet. Thank god it was only my beater truck lol. I would seal that grommet and re-check, if theres still leaks, its very possible its from the windshield.

This was my experience with a good friend's car. It also killed two LCMs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts