BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had a slight leak in my rear main seal since the end of summer. I asked two separate mechanics about this and got conflicting answers. One said that the rear main seal leak would not affect the clutch, while the other was emphatic that it would if not taken care of early.

Does anyone know who is right?

I do plan to replace the seal in the next few weeks, but should I do the clutch at the same time? I have no symptom of a bad clutch, and while I don't baby the beast, I don't abuse the clutch either. I'm tempted to just replace the seal, knowing that the labor to replace the clutch too is next to ZERO. Take my chances or spend the money on a clutch too? :)

Help!

·
Super Moderator
4,841 Posts
"the other" mechanic is right. Only if you absolutely trust whomever works on your car to definitively examine the absence of oil contamination on the clutch, would people on this board avoid calling you crazy for even considering bypassing a "free" shot at changing the clutch/guibo/etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree, get the clutch package replaced at the same time as the main seal.
Oil contamination will eventually rear it's ugly head and you will be paying to drop the tranny again.

Al. Wise

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
It will affect the clutch IF you don't have it taken care of before TOO much time has passed. (It may ALREADY be on the pressure plate surface, but not yet affecting the grip.) The seal is on the "other" side of the flywheel, but the leaking oil will accumulate and eventually get onto the clutch surface.

Don't change the clutch, UNLESS it is indicated. Give them instructions to do whatever is necessary ... your clutch may be almost new ... they will know what its condition is, when they take the car apart.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ... unless it is going to break soon ...

My $ 0.03 ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts