BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was due to post regarding this problem and by chance have just read a post started by Fast 5 at the end of last month regarding the above. Am I to assume that this is a common problem?

Is it caused by excessive pressure in the system?

I initially thought that I had spilt some on topping up but this happened more than once and each time I was more meticulous about cleaning the entire area around the cap. Then I thought I must be overfilling the engine causing overpressure.

Will purchasing a new OEM cap help or solve the problem?

I should add that I am using towards the upper limit of oil per mile although still within the 'broadbrush' hmmm BMW guidlines. Most driving is enthusiastic/hard motorway driving.

Advice please. :confused3

Plp

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have not had that problem, being very careful to check under the hood for any signs of trouble once a week (and of course to remove any dirt or dust from the engine bay). I DID, however, experience the horrors of what happens when your mechanic changes the oil and doesn't replace the oil cap, rather puts in on crooked. I was driving to San Antonio one morning rather early and stopped to fuel the beast and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I figured out pretty quickly that about three quarts of oil had been pushed out the top of the engine through the oil cap and was coating my engine, most of my undertray and all the way back to the exhaust! My engine bay is a source of pride, the mechanic who made this mistake wouldn't talk to me for two weeks for fear of having his head removed! They steam cleaned the who car three times and everything is back to normal...lesson learned, I hope! :wroom:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have had this problem and from what I understand, it is fairly common.

I drove about 2 miles with the oil cap on crooked and it was as the other poster said - a disaster.

I actually keep a spare one in the trunk - just in case after that experience.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pip, It's a common problem,

Tremendous amounts of oil and a small amount of pressure just under the oil cap. The timing chain is right there slinging tons of oil so if the oil cap has a weak gasket or the spring clip gets bent or weak you'll get an oil leak from under the cap and down the valve cover. It's a quick and inexpensive fix buy a new cap.

Joe

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good to know, I ussually check my oil weekly and I have not seen any signs of looking, but I will keep an eye on it more closely now, Josh

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've had a slight leak around the cap for some time. It just seems to make it a bit oily around the area without causing a mess.

However, the first oil change at the dealer was a disaster thanks to a loose cap. After the oil change I get off the interstate and at a traffic light smoke rolled out from under the hood. A guy in a beat up Corolla looked over in shock in asked "Whats up with the car dude? It's sad to see a car like that look like that!" I headed back to the dealership, pulled into the service bay and let the shop see the mess they just caused. I got a steam cleaning and free detailing out of it but it still collects tons of dust and dirt on all surfaces under the hood.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
Pip, It's a common problem,

Tremendous amounts of oil and a small amount of pressure just under the oil cap. The timing chain is right there slinging tons of oil so if the oil cap has a weak gasket or the spring clip gets bent or weak you'll get an oil leak from under the cap and down the valve cover. It's a quick and inexpensive fix buy a new cap.

Joe
Good to know, thanks for the info.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same problem.
Buy a new cap and everything is fine.
After filling in Oil I'm cleaning the cap and the seal in the cap and I have no problems with oil on the valve cover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pip said:
I was due to post regarding this problem and by chance have just read a post started by Fast 5 at the end of last month regarding the above. Am I to assume that this is a common problem?

Is it caused by excessive pressure in the system?

I initially thought that I had spilt some on topping up but this happened more than once and each time I was more meticulous about cleaning the entire area around the cap. Then I thought I must be overfilling the engine causing overpressure.

Will purchasing a new OEM cap help or solve the problem?

I should add that I am using towards the upper limit of oil per mile although still within the 'broadbrush' hmmm BMW guidlines. Most driving is enthusiastic/hard motorway driving.

Advice please. :confused3

Plp
Don't know how common but I had it (and posted about it) when I picked up my car from the dealer. Also thought they might have spilled some but after about 6 new caps and a full day in the shop they still couldn't figure it out. Gave me some cockammamie (is that how you spell it?) excuse and told me to clean the cap before I replace it. End result: sometimes there'll be no leak, sometimes a streak of oil down the cam cover, but at worst it appears to be a nuisance. Of course I'm still running about 1000-1200 miles/quart, so I don't know how much is running out under the cap.

As you've read, some don't have the problem at all after replacing the cap, some never had it. So you've got a range. I'm posting just to let you know that if the leak continues and, as you say, you're on the periphery of the allowable oil mileage "range", you're not alone.

I just don't have the time to worry about everything. I documented it with the dealer, the car seems fine, so I'll live with it (it also might have something to do with the oil used: I only use the BMW 5W-30; those with 10W-60 might be luckier).

=NLK=

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nlk10010,

Thankyou for that response - V.G. I am using 10w 60. The whole thing is not very impressive for a company that used the slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" as a slogan in the UK.

So much for the Ubersaloon!

So does anyone know whether the AMGs and Audi RS range have similar issues with oil consumption?

Pip

·
Registered
351 Posts
What timing! Just the other day I noticed oil around the oil cap and suspected this to be the problem or maybe a leaky gasket somewhere else. I'll clean it up and try a new cap.

Thanks
TripleD

·
Registered
160 Posts
Question...do any of the aftermarket oil replacement caps like the nice one Beastpower has improve on the seal at all? The ones they sell look to be a lot heavier (chromed-out, etc.). Has anyone had any experience with these? :cool:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I got one from Beastpower and at first I had a leak issue, but I replaced the gasket with the OEM cap gasket and all was fine.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts