BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to get checked out because I noticed a tiny drip of oil forming at the bottom of the transmission bell housing. Being that I had the transmission replaced (new) by the dealer a year ago, I took it back to see if anything was leaking with the transmission. They performed a dye test and found that the upper oil pan gasket is leaking and the transmission is fine. Here is a list of items they recommended:

1. Replace upper oil pan gasket
2. Replace lower oil pan gasket, level sensor & changeover valve o-rings
3. Replace hose, reservoir to pump

I know these are dealer recommendations. I actually replaced my lower oil pan gasket and PS pump reservoir, so I'm not worried about those. The hose will be replaced in a few weeks.

What I'm concerned about is the upper oil pan gasket. Seems daunting. Price quoted is $971.90 to fix, which I don't think is too bad. Should I or should I not attempt this myself?

Also, how could they tell the oil level sensor & changeover valve o-rings need replacing if they didn't drop my lower pan gasket. I haven't been having any problems detecting low oil levels.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Given what's involved in replacing the upper pan gasket I don't think that this is out of line at all. They want to replace the o-rings and level sensor seal as those items will need to be removed and it's a good practice to replace seals/o-rings in that case. They will likely start leaking otherwise.

I might actually take things a step further and replace the changeover valves themselves, inspect the rod bearings, and possibly even replace the oil pump.... as long as you're in there....

Of course, many will respond that it's a DIY (and it can be), but unless you have a lot of time, tools, and experience you may start seeing the $1k that the dealer is quoting as a real bargain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a consideration - previously, I too had oil collecting on my bell housing. The source was actually a failing rear main seal. Not that this is any less expensive to fix. It is however worth being sure of the source before spending the $1000.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Given what's involved in replacing the upper pan gasket I don't think that this is out of line at all. They want to replace the o-rings and level sensor seal as those items will need to be removed and it's a good practice to replace seals/o-rings in that case. They will likely start leaking otherwise.

I might actually take things a step further and replace the changeover valves themselves, inspect the rod bearings, and possibly even replace the oil pump.... as long as you're in there....

Of course, many will respond that it's a DIY (and it can be), but unless you have a lot of time, tools, and experience you may start seeing the $1k that the dealer is quoting as a real bargain.
Such crushing good sense and pragmatism is a rarity on this board.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Just a consideration - previously, I too had oil collecting on my bell housing. The source was actually a failing rear main seal. Not that this is any less expensive to fix. It is however worth being sure of the source before spending the $1000.
i'll say with about 95% certainty that its the rear main leaking and not the upper oil pan. i'd get a second opinion.
I agree 100% with these gentleman. I would bet you dinner it is a leaking RMS. If you had your clutch done last summer, and the RMS wasn't replaced, it is very possible it has failed. How many miles on your car? They usually only last 50k-75k miles.

I'd get a second opinion.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
i'll say with about 95% certainty that its the rear main leaking and not the upper oil pan. i'd get a second opinion.
Happened to me at 96k miles under CPO.

I replaced the clutch for parts cost only....

OP-When they replaced the tranny a year ago, any though of prophylactically looking at RMS or clutch? Not common at dealerships FWIW.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would take it to a reputable indie for a second opinion. A "technician" from a local BMW dealership told me frankly that they don't know much about our cars (e39). They can fix an e60, but most techs have never worked on a e39.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good catch guys. The notes on the bottom of the write-up says also that it's a possibility that the rear main seal is leaking as well (but can't tell for sure).

I have another local shop that's going to look at it and hopefully the prices aren't too far out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts