BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing out my PS hoses over the weekend I noticed a small amount of oil seepage around the oil level sensor #9 here:(RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 Oil pan bottom part, oil level indicator). Nothing major but I'm assuming that the gasket is starting to give up.

Do the sensors themselves have any history of failure? I checked a number of posts, but didn't seem to be a clear consensus (unlike the FSU for instance). At $100 +/- for the sensor is it a false economy to reuse it or will I be pulling out again in 12 months? Haven't had any issues with it other than the small leak.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ive noticed the same on my level sensor, after a bit of cleaning, looks as if its leaking around the nuts of the oil level sensor, any ideas if its just the o-ring or the sensor itself that's leaking ( leaking through the sensor)

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't think those sensors fail. But could be the o ring. Just replace it. But carful when you pull the sensor down. You have to pul straight. I broke mine when I pulled down in angel. I replace it with ebay one for under $20 but didn't work properly. Would give too high oil temperature reading and engine warm up too fast . Dealer wanted over $150 for the part. Ended up buying oem one from ebay around $60. Worked perfect. You can search here and find diy for the sensor replacement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think those sensors fail. But could be the o ring. Just replace it. But carful when you pull the sensor down. You have to pul straight. I broke mine when I pulled down in angel. I replace it with ebay one for under $20 but didn't work properly. Would give too high oil temperature reading and engine warm up too fast . Dealer wanted over $150 for the part. Ended up buying oem one from ebay around $60. Worked perfect. You can search here and find diy for the sensor replacement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks

ordered the o-ring from the dealership but the parts guy warned me that they sometimes leak through the sensor :sad2:

worth a try to do the o ring first though just the problem of filling oil and I hate re using new oil

·
Registered
7 Posts
o ring

did changing the o ring solve the issue
i have a similar problem, not sure whether i should change the o ring or sensor

·
Registered
576 Posts
did changing the o ring solve the issue
i have a similar problem, not sure whether i should change the o ring or sensor

I put in a new O-ring and still had seepage so I'll be replacing the sensor at the next oil change. Plan on buying the Hella one from Pelican for $72. Genuine BMW is listed at $217 but wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as the Hella sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ kiznarsh

omg thats not what i wanted to hear, i have ordered a new o ring, will try that first, will keep you updated.
Did your mechanic sand down the surface on sensor and tray before fitting new o ring.

·
Registered
576 Posts
@ kiznarsh

omg thats not what i wanted to hear, i have ordered a new o ring, will try that first, will keep you updated.
Did your mechanic sand down the surface on sensor and tray before fitting new o ring.
I did it myself when I replaced the lower oil pan. Didn't sand the area and don't see why you'd need to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
went to the garage yesterday, on route collected new o ring gasket from BMW.
mechanic sanded down both areas and fitted new o ring gasket.
Checked under car today morning, still leaking, fresh oil on floor.........gutted.

really upset about this now.

My mechanic believes the system had engine oil stop leak in it from previous keeper as i've just bought the car and after the oil change i did that's when it started leaking. Mechanic drained old oil from sump nut so didn't tamper with oil level sensor. Oil change must have removed the engine stop leak and thus started leaking again.

I'm considering using engine oil stop leak, any recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mohammed

Dis changing the o ring work for you or did you then have to change the sensor.
I have just changed my o ring but still leaking.
Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
@ kiznarsh

Did you get to change the oil level sensor and did it stop the leak

I'm not due for an oil change for a few months so I won't know till then. I recommend you either get a new Hella sensor and install it with a new O-ring, or just live with the small seepage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally solved this problem.

Above the oil level sensor the oil dipstick tube sits into the sump, this is where the oil leak was coming from. Oil was flowing out from here and dripping down the sump towards the oil level sensor, which made it seem like the oil level sensor was leaking.

The oil dipstick tube was taken off and the old o-ring seal was perished/damaged. I purchased a new one from bmw (£2.56) and fitted it, oil leak has stopped.

BMW supply a 3mm thick seal o-ring, some people advise using a 3.5mm or 4mm thick one which will last longer.
Anyway i used a genuine 3mm one and hopefully i wont get this problem again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts