BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After part exchanging my LCI M5 for the M6 GC CP, here are my findings, just out of interest.

The M6 GC CP handles and performs much better, it puts the power down with less interference and flashing lights.
It feels much more planted in the corners to.
With the same driving style i find it more economical by 2 MPG , this could be aerodynamics, or lower Centre of gravity.

Interior IMO is nicer and the car in general better put together.

I don't know how much more power the CP actually makes but it feels much more than 15 BHP to me.

Just my opinions , nothing wrong with the M5, just M6 GC CP better.:)

I ended up paying £73666:00 new built,and well specced for the M6 GC CP here in the UK, which makes it a bargain buy IMO.

·
Registered
756 Posts
:eek:h::eek:h:
After part exchanging my LCI M5 for the M6 GC CP, here are my findings, just out of interest.

The M6 GC CP handles and performs much better, it puts the power down with less interference and flashing lights.
It feels much more planted in the corners to.
With the same driving style i find it more economical by 2 MPG , this could be aerodynamics, or lower Centre of gravity.

Interior IMO is nicer and the car in general better put together.

I don't know how much more power the CP actually makes but it feels much more than 15 BHP to me.

Just my opinions , nothing wrong with the M5, just M6 GC CP better.:)

I ended up paying £73666:00 new built,and well specced for the M6 GC CP here in the UK, which makes it a bargain buy IMO.
I've never sparred with an M6 on the road without my Burger JB tune (and have yet to lose in freeway bursts of speed) but, from what I'm seeing online, John's albeit self-gratifyinghiha comments about his new toy are correct--the M6 does seem to have the advantage. I guess this provides reasonably objective proof as to the capabilities of a self-installable, $500 tune--yey, BMS!. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwWJo43lrM

@John: I looked very closely at the M6 GC CP but, ultimately, it can down to space--the back-seats just didn't work well enough when you're regularly carrying a family of 4 (and obviously not for 5) but, in reality, these are two very different cars with different target markets. If it were up to me, I'd have gone the more-sporty route myself, too.... and bought a Jaguar F-type :eek:h:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:eek:h::eek:h:
If it were up to me, I'd have gone the more-sporty route myself, too.... and bought a Jaguar F-type :eek:h:
Ha Ha :7: You should drive one first, I did and left it in the dealership.:3:
Each to there own, I only need 4 seats now and then, so M6 GC CP suits me, I don't need a tune here as it's quick enough on UK roads with all these speed cops hiding.:Thumbdown:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHAT?? There's no such thing as "quick enough!! hmmm :tonquesmilie:

I haven't driven the Jag yet, actually--was it that bad?
No not that bad, just not got the best tech, or drive IMO, sounded great though.
The Jaguars of yesteryear I owned and drove a lot, these days German engineering is better I think.:)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Fairly subjective though as no technical on road differences between the M6 CP & M5 CP as all the mechanicals i believe are identical, so if one feels more planted than the other then the only factor this could be is a very slightly reduced weight as that's the only difference that i'm aware of & that's only marginal for the GC or perhaps thew tyres the car was delivered with.

I do like the GC but don't get the whole coupe trying to be a saloon & didn't with the original variant being the Merc CLS. They do look nice but if i wanted a coupe i'd want 2 doors & if i wanted a saloon i'd want 4 doors. Obviously a market for them though as i see more M6 GC than i do regular M6's.

Any difference in grunt will be down to a stronger engine rather than M5/M6 as if you ask any reputable tuner, they've yet to see 2 standard cars (same applies to the CP cars) with the same power outputs & differences of up to 45bhp stock/stock have been seen.

If the same deals had existed on the M6 when i got my M5, i'd have been sorely tempted in 2 or 4 door guise, but then were not discounting them to the same levels & although now they're lopping a lot of cash off the car, this has hurt any chance of getting a decent lease/pcp deal on them:(

·
Registered
222 Posts
The OP didn't state that his M5 was a CP. If his M5 was a non CP then yeah the difference is night and day. I've owned both, and my CP car has much better control of wheel spin.
The M6s are a bit faster and handle better than M5s though. M6 have a weight and C of G advantage.

Reactions: johnbmw6

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The OP didn't state that his M5 was a CP. If his M5 was a non CP then yeah the difference is night and day. I've owned both, and my CP car has much better control of wheel spin.
The M6s are a bit faster and handle better than M5s though. M6 have a weight and C of G advantage.
You are correct my M5 was NOT CP, but the M6 GC is CP, and it has a lot of extra go IMO, and better handing.:) This could be down to how i run mine in, pushing hard after warm-up for the first 40/50 miles, i then drive normally.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The CP/non CP is a good point & I'd not noticed the M5 wasnt a CP car so will be a couple of slight differences but they'll no doubt be noticeable. Not sure the M6GC is much lighter than the M5. Are the tyres any different as I can't see what else would cause a difference in traction between the 2?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The CP/non CP is a good point & I'd not noticed the M5 wasnt a CP car so will be a couple of slight differences but they'll no doubt be noticeable. Not sure the M6GC is much lighter than the M5. Are the tyres any different as I can't see what else would cause a difference in traction between the 2?
The wheels are wider, along with the car being lower. Thats it i think, but it feels better all round to me.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The wheels are wider, along with the car being lower. Thats it i think, but it feels better all round to me.
Are both those correct John? No ideas if the wheels are wider than your last car but like for like their is no difference between wheel sizes on the M5/M6 & i think the CP wheels on both are the exact same size. Also not sure the M6 is lower (ride height) than the M5. It is a lower roof height naturally due to the body shape but wheel to arch gap looks the same to me (with the same spec wheels of course).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are both those correct John? No ideas if the wheels are wider than your last car but like for like their is no difference between wheel sizes on the M5/M6 & i think the CP wheels on both are the exact same size. Also not sure the M6 is lower (ride height) than the M5. It is a lower roof height naturally due to the body shape but wheel to arch gap looks the same to me (with the same spec wheels of course).
wheels are 1/2" wider front and rear as far as i have been told. Same tyre sizes though as the M5.
91/2" front wheels 101/2" rears.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The wheel and tire setup are the same according to what I'm seeing online. I also recall reading that the M6 ride-height remains constant between the CP and non-CP models and that the M5 w/CP falls inline with them (can't find that reference now, though).

Weight distribution, aero-dynamics and down-force perhaps?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wheel and tire setup are the same according to what I'm seeing online. I also recall reading that the M6 ride-height remains constant between the CP and non-CP models and that the M5 w/CP falls inline with them (can't find that reference now, though).

Weight distribution, aero-dynamics and down-force perhaps?
M5
Consumption
Urban (ltr/100km)
- [13.9]
Urban (mpg)
- [20.3]
Extra-urban (ltr/100km)
- [7.6]
Extra-urban (mpg)
- [37.2]
Combined (ltr/100km)
- [9.9]
Combined (mpg)
- [28.5]
CO2 emissions (g/km)
- [231.0]
Tank capacity (ltr)
Tank capacity (gals)
Performance
Top speed (km/h)
- [250]
Acceleration 0-62 mph (sec)
- [4.3]
Acceleration 50-75 mph in 4th (sec)
-/-
Weight
Unladen (EU) (kg)
- [1945]
Max permissible (kg)
- [2410]
Max permissible (lbs)
- [5313]
Permitted load (kg)
- [540]
Permitted load (lbs)
- [1190]
Permitted axle load, front/rear (kg)
-/- [1180/1260]
Permitted axle load, front/rear (lbs)
-/- [2601/2778]
Engine
Cylinders/valves per cylinder
8/4
Capacity (cc)
Capacity (cinch)
Stroke/Bore (mm)
88.3/89.0
Stroke/Bore (inch)
3.50/3.50
Max output (kW/hp/rpm)
412 (560)/6000-7000
Max torque (Nm/rpm)
680/1500-5750
Compression ratio : 1
Wheels
Tyre size front
- [265/40 ZR19 102Y XL]
Tyre size rear
- [295/35 ZR19 104Y XL]
Wheel size front
9J x 19 LM
Wheel size rear
10J x 19

M6 GC CP

Urban (ltr/100km)
- [13.9]
Urban (mpg)
- [20.3]
Extra-urban (ltr/100km)
- [7.6]
Extra-urban (mpg)
- [37.2]
Combined (ltr/100km)
- [9.9]
Combined (mpg)
- [28.5]
CO2 emissions (g/km)
- [231.0]
Tank capacity (ltr)
Tank capacity (gals)
Performance
Top speed (km/h)
- [250]
Acceleration 0-62 mph (sec)
- [4.2]
Acceleration 50-75 mph in 4th (sec)
-/-
Weight
Unladen (EU) (kg)
- [1950]
Max permissible (kg)
- [2410]
Max permissible (lbs)
- [5313]
Permitted load (kg)
- [535]
Permitted load (lbs)
- [1179]
Permitted axle load, front/rear (kg)
-/- [1180/1260]
Permitted axle load, front/rear (lbs)
-/- [2601/2778]
Engine
Cylinders/valves per cylinder
8/4
Capacity (cc)
Capacity (cinch)
Stroke/Bore (mm)
88.3/89.0
Stroke/Bore (inch)
3.50/3.50
Max output (kW/hp/rpm)
412 (560)/6000-7000
Max torque (Nm/rpm)
680/1500-5750
Compression ratio : 1
Wheels
Tyre size front
- [265/35 ZR20 99Y XL]
Tyre size rear
- [295/30 ZR20 101Y XL]
Wheel size front
9.5J x 20
Wheel size rear 10.5j x 20

·
Registered
756 Posts
M5
Wheel size front
9J x 19 LM
Wheel size rear
10J x 19

M6 GC CP
Wheel size front
9.5J x 20
Wheel size rear 10.5j x 20
But... wait, I'm confused--you're back to comparing the non-CP to the CP--I thought we were comparing apples to apples, no? Only the M5 w/CP has the same setup as the M6. In fact, I have exactly the same 20" wheels as you do (probably): style 601M in 20". Only the M5 non-CP comes with 19" wheels.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
But... wait, I'm confused--you're back to comparing the non-CP to the CP--I thought we were comparing apples to apples, no? Only the M5 w/CP has the same setup as the M6. In fact, I have exactly the same 20" wheels as you do (probably): style 601M in 20". Only the M5 non-CP comes with 19" wheels.
THE wheels are the same for all model m6= BIGGER

·
Registered
756 Posts
THE wheels are the same for all model m6= BIGGER
I didn't realize that was the point we were trying to get at. I was following the context that w8pmc had set when he said, "... No ideas if the wheels are wider than your last car but like for like their is no difference between wheel sizes on the M5/M6 & i think the CP wheels on both are the exact same size."

In non-CP forms, you're of course, correct, the M5 and M6 wear very different shoes.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Standard wheel on an M5 is the 19" but the 20" is an option (£1500 I think). The M5 CP has the same wheel as the M6 CP I think but the standard M5 could also have the exact same sized wheel if the 20" option is taken & to be honest most F10 M5's come with the 20" wheels which was why I stuck with the 19's. So I'm assuming in reality most standard M5's have the exact same wheel size as your M6GC but the few who stuck with 19's obviously won't.

Is the standard M6 wheel a 20" wheel & if so what's the option wheel?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Standard wheel on an M5 is the 19" but the 20" is an option (£1500 I think). The M5 CP has the same wheel as the M6 CP I think but the standard M5 could also have the exact same sized wheel if the 20" option is taken & to be honest most F10 M5's come with the 20" wheels which was why I stuck with the 19's. So I'm assuming in reality most standard M5's have the exact same wheel size as your M6GC but the few who stuck with 19's obviously won't.

Is the standard M6 wheel a 20" wheel & if so what's the option wheel?
Yup... for the US, the M6 CP (GC or not) comes with style 601M--the same style I have on my M5.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is confusing here if you do not read the spec of the m6, because the code for the 20" 343M wheels are 2NZ for both M5 and M6, but the M6 wheels are wider by 1/2" front and rear.hmmm

1 - 20 of 40 Posts