BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car and Driver did a nice test about 4 pages sometime back going into extreme detail in lazer. I have a few phd's who work for me and I talked to them about it and it was verified and tested by one of his friends who is a State Patrol officer.

First of all, lazer is light and the speed is read by the light reflecting off of the car when it bounces back. Ok we already knew that. One test was the amount of feet between a white car vs. a black car. The white car was clocked 4 times farther and faster than the black car. "easy test, take a lazer pointer and put it on the 2 cars and see how well you can see the lazer light up."

2nd test, a black vette having lower angles and not headlights "chrome" to reflect off of was about 200 feet before it registered. So if you have a darker car get tinted light covers. 3rd test, for people who live in states that require a front plate. If your state doesn't....TAKE IT OFF! The reflective 3M material that they use for stop signs are on your plate if white "OHIO". Test was Michigan "blue plate" vs...Ohio "white", yes the white plate was clocked at almost 1/4 a mile away.

3rd test was taking 3M reflective tape and putting a 4 inch strip on your bumper/front hood and another piece on top of your front windshield. The gun could NOT ge a reading because it was toggling between the to tapes and because 1 in infront of the other by 3 or 4 feet, lazer gun was not getting a read because the math in the gun could not be calculated.

Best car stealthed out is ...Black car with no signal/turn indicators showing or headlights covered. Drive by the cop watching him pulling the trigger like a empty gun as he smiles, because he knows......They are not dumb, but the officer I drove by smiled and knew I knew he could not get a read till i was on top of him or he didn't get a read at all. I was not going to stop and talk to him even if I knew he seemed to be a good sport about it. I have a vehicle GPS tracking company with a couple of good RF eng's that worked for Savannah research till they got laid off and I picked them up, very smart guys.

FLOYD
2006 M5..ordered FLORIDA..and yep, you better believe it's black.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
TX state troopers have recently been using laser from the rear. They sit on the side of entrance ramps on the other side of overpasses so they are obscured to oncoming traffic. When they get a hit, they just merge into the highway and intercept. Thus, rear protection is of greater importance than it used to be. I'm looking at active protection such as Lidatek for my upcoming M5.

Tom

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
bernhtp said:
TX state troopers have recently been using laser from the rear. They sit on the side of entrance ramps on the other side of overpasses so they are obscured to oncoming traffic. When they get a hit, they just merge into the highway and intercept. Thus, rear protection is of greater importance than it used to be. I'm looking at active protection such as Lidatek for my upcoming M5.

Tom
Does Lidatek really work? Anyone have any direct experience? The main problem I'm going to have with this car is keeping my license.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the UK, they tend to try all angles- typical is waiting on an on ramp so you can't see them and getting a contact off the rear of the car; otherwise it is from the front in a van on an overlying bridge over a motorway, or parked up on the side of the road. I think only a jammer is wortwhile as the instant your laser detector signals is the same instant they have read your speed. You don't get much scatter from other cars with laser as the beam is too narrow, so no real chance of a useful warning.

m5floyd said:
Car and Driver did a nice test about 4 pages sometime back going into extreme detail in lazer. I have a few phd's who work for me and I talked to them about it and it was verified and tested by one of his friends who is a State Patrol officer.

First of all, lazer is light and the speed is read by the light reflecting off of the car when it bounces back. Ok we already knew that. One test was the amount of feet between a white car vs. a black car. The white car was clocked 4 times farther and faster than the black car. "easy test, take a lazer pointer and put it on the 2 cars and see how well you can see the lazer light up."

2nd test, a black vette having lower angles and not headlights "chrome" to reflect off of was about 200 feet before it registered. So if you have a darker car get tinted light covers. 3rd test, for people who live in states that require a front plate. If your state doesn't....TAKE IT OFF! The reflective 3M material that they use for stop signs are on your plate if white "OHIO". Test was Michigan "blue plate" vs...Ohio "white", yes the white plate was clocked at almost 1/4 a mile away.

3rd test was taking 3M reflective tape and putting a 4 inch strip on your bumper/front hood and another piece on top of your front windshield. The gun could NOT ge a reading because it was toggling between the to tapes and because 1 in infront of the other by 3 or 4 feet, lazer gun was not getting a read because the math in the gun could not be calculated.

Best car stealthed out is ...Black car with no signal/turn indicators showing or headlights covered. Drive by the cop watching him pulling the trigger like a empty gun as he smiles, because he knows......They are not dumb, but the officer I drove by smiled and knew I knew he could not get a read till i was on top of him or he didn't get a read at all. I was not going to stop and talk to him even if I knew he seemed to be a good sport about it. I have a vehicle GPS tracking company with a couple of good RF eng's that worked for Savannah research till they got laid off and I picked them up, very smart guys.

FLOYD
2006 M5..ordered FLORIDA..and yep, you better believe it's black.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lidatek

Wolverine said:
Does Lidatek really work? Anyone have any direct experience? The main problem I'm going to have with this car is keeping my license.
I have Lidatek installed in both my E-class and A6, one day when we were going home in separate cars, we were ambushed by laser and the LE20 and LE30 saved us.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The concern I have re: any laser jammer is differing state laws here in the states which may allow compounding your vehicle if 'caught' with one. However, I'll be researching further in the meantime.

bernhtp said:
Gustav linked some impressive "saves" for Lidatek in this thread.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts