BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading the Cool Hidden Features thread, which I thought was a great idea for a thread, I saw Launch Mode !!!
I had no idea that the M6 had a launch mode. I immediately goggled it and found a PDF with directions on how to get
into launch mode. I have attatched the PDF.

I saw that you can set the M button for : DSC off, S-6, EDC Sport, & P-500 Sport. Then push the gear lever forward, giver her gas, and shift !

Can anyone confirm this ? And what is your normal M button settings ?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yes it works........
I haven't officially tried launching, but I have my setting set like mentioned above, and I held the lever forward in 1st gear and held the gas pedal down, and the engine revved as described in the pdf. I wussed out though and didn't release the shifter:eek:h:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, I have done it a few times.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fttRPS023uk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've read somewhere that after a certain number of LC, your SMG clutch is done....

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've read somewhere that after a certain number of LC, your SMG clutch is done....
This is all rumor. I have seen it posted that anywhere between 10 to 20 Launches will fry the SMG clutch. Several members though have posted they have done 75 to 100 LC and clutch was fine. The other rumor always posted in regard to LC is it will void warranty work on the clutch. No one I know of has found this writing as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why you would allow this feature if you were going to use it to void the warranty (although I've read Nissan makes you sign a waiver informing the buyer the warranty will be voided if you drive to many times with VDC shut off - needed to LC). With all that said I've only done one LC since owning the car and don't plan on doing many more.
Ken

·
Registered
568 Posts
L/C is a function on the car that should be enjoyed at each drivers comfort level, but enjoyed none the less. We don't buy these cars and park them with the thought that driving it would wear it out. Have some fun with it!

·
Banned
45 Posts
L/C is a function on the car that should be enjoyed at each drivers comfort level, but enjoyed none the less. We don't buy these cars and park them with the thought that driving it would wear it out. Have some fun with it!
+1

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
+1

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with GIFF. If you've got it, Launch It.
I should also point out that the Euro model, which I believe has the same clutch, does LC at 4,000 rpm. (nearly 3 times the US spec).
If their cars can take it, then a few launches should be fine on this side of the ocean.
:M5launch:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Will the US Spec M6's be able to perform a LC launch at a higher RPM after receiving an aftermarket tune?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts