BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I've been checking this forum out for a while but I havnt posted anything so far.
First of all I would like to introduce myself I'm from the United Arab Emirates, I've been an ///M fan since I was a kid, I used to own an E39 M5, now I have an E63 M6.
I finished engine break-in and I picked up my car from the 2,000km break-in inspection today. They unlocked the launch control system for me, its really nice but I dont know how many rpms should I be dialing in before launching I tried it at 4,000 RPM but there was too much wheel spin. After that I tried to do the launch control again but it wouldnt work :sad1: later on I tried it and it worked. Is there a timer that stops me from using the LC after a period time or something like that. Does anyone have any info about this?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.:flag:

·
Registered
240 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Hello everyone I've been checking this forum out for a while but I havnt posted anything so far.
First of all I would like to introduce myself I'm from the United Arab Emirates, I've been an ///M fan since I was a kid, I used to own an E39 M5, now I have an E63 M6.
I finished engine break-in and I picked up my car from the 2,000km break-in inspection today. They unlocked the launch control system for me, its really nice but I dont know how many rpms should I be dialing in before launching I tried it at 4,000 RPM but there was too much wheel spin. After that I tried to do the launch control again but it wouldnt work :sad1: later on I tried it and it worked. Is there a timer that stops me from using the LC after a period time or something like that. Does anyone have any info about this?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.:flag:
If u look at the manual on Launch control, after using it, it'll be automatically disabled for a specific distance. It's because the launch control really heats up the gearbox and it really acts as a virus(u might use it up to 25 times as someone said earlier in the forum and then change the whole gearbox!) that might be true because it's 20% faster than the SMGII. The launch control only goes to around 4 rpm only that's how BMW has set it. U'r gonna need to know how to control the car and use the throttle to get a good launch. I'm gonna try that on my car later and give u some tips.

welcome to the forum and where do u live in UAE?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Jad, I live in Abu Dhabi. I dont really think that they have to replace the whole gearbox, I am assuming I would only have to change the clutch, 25 times is nothing. Today I raced a Gallardo and I killed it. Boy is this car fast. Another thing that I noticed is that the diffrence in shifting times changes so much from S5 to S6....Its bigger than the change from S1 to S5.
I just love it when the tires chirm in the gear change from 2 to 3.

·
Registered
240 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Thanks for the info Jad, I live in Abu Dhabi. I dont really think that they have to replace the whole gearbox, I am assuming I would only have to change the clutch, 25 times is nothing. Today I raced a Gallardo and I killed it. Boy is this car fast. Another thing that I noticed is that the diffrence in shifting times changes so much from S5 to S6....Its bigger than the change from S1 to S5.
I just love it when the tires chirm in the gear change from 2 to 3.
OH yeah, the Gallardo is EASY unless they guy gets a proper take off. U gotta read the one ill post soon: me and my friend's Murcielago :wroom: with vids.

BTW, my dad works in Abu Dhabi, I go there in vacations and might go there during September. I should take u to a car place called Prestige Cars, have u ever went there?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup I know that place, they have some nice cars there. By the way I tried launch control again today 2,000rpm still too much wheel spin as soon as I let go of the shifter I hit redline....I am guessing these Continental tyres suck.:confused3

·
Registered
240 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Yup I know that place, they have some nice cars there. By the way I tried launch control again today 2,000rpm still too much wheel spin as soon as I let go of the shifter I hit redline....I am guessing these Continental tyres suck.:confused3
Conti tyres? I though the M6 has Pirelli. Anyways, if they skid a lot, just change to 2nd gear when it reaches the redline, then u'll feel a rush as if it goes like a bullet. yeap, there are nice cars there, especially with my dad's partner's sons. E55 Vath 800hp(it got screwed up from the suspensions, front side is up and the other side is down :blabla: . But it killed the ENZO :eek:h: ), A8 MTM w/Kompressor, Audi TT biMoto, etc.... and I can test drive any of them :hihihi:

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
I am definatly no expert but on the topic but I just want to give my opinion.

I once read on the M3 SMG II system the following.

If you are going to use LC and you press the throttle fast, let the rpms stabilize and then let go of the stick, you will get more or less a burn out, lots of wheelspin ( no elctronical adjustement to optimize the amount of wheel spin ), BUT if you press the throttle slowly and then let go of the stick, you will get a optimized take of with controlled wheelspin.

Not sure this is correct, and even if it is, it could offcourse be different on the M5/6.

But I have seen 2 times that the M3 CSL and the M3 gets huge amount of wheelspin using LC, and that should not happen. The hole idea with LC is to get an optimized amount of wheelspin, not to act like a smoke machine.

I actually beat a both the M3 and the M3 CSL on the 1/8 run by a huge margin in my E36 M3. At the time my M3 had huge VANOS problem and was very low on high rpm power, (almost 100 Hp loss )
Both of the M3`s got a lot of wheel spin, and at the time that supprised me a lot.

A friend of mine drove the M3 and even when he changed into second gear he had a hell of a wheelspin....., and got beat by a girl in an E36........

I have once tried the LC on the M5 and it was almost no wheelspin at all, just a little spin optimized by the electronics......

It should not be depended on tire or surface, the software should limit your wheelspin in any case.......

Any one else have input on this ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JAd: Yeah I know it should come in Pirrelli but our dealer only gets them with the contis which I feel suck, I'll keep trying the launch control again today and I'll keep you informed . BTW I know who you are talking about but man there is too much talk here about cars, I wont beleive anything until I see it with my own eyes. I'll PM you on this subject.:cheers:

Erik: Thanks for the tip, but you see the thing is about launch control what is press the throttle slowly and quickly??? Its hard to make a judgment and there is too much to risk especially if you are in a drag race. I think I'll try 1,500rpm launch today and I'll tell you what happens. I remember in my E39 M5 i used to dial in something like 1,800-1,900 rpm drop the clutch and it just jumps with minimal Wheelspin:flag: .

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Erik: Thanks for the tip, but you see the thing is about launch control what is press the throttle slowly and quickly??? Its hard to make a judgment and there is too much to risk especially if you are in a drag race. I think I'll try 1,500rpm launch today and I'll tell you what happens. I remember in my E39 M5 i used to dial in something like 1,800-1,900 rpm drop the clutch and it just jumps with minimal Wheelspin:flag: .
No No.... what I mean is, if you are going to take of useing LC, you have to press the throttle to the bottom. Either you press it to the floor slowly or you just push it in fast, in either case the rpms increase to app 4-4500 rpms.
You always have to have the throttle pressed all the way to the bottom.
LC start ALWAYS start with 4-4500 rpms, that is programmed in the software. you can NOT use LC with only 2000 rpms......., the software then electronically adjust the power and clutch to apply a little amount of wheelspin.

So bottom line is, if you are taking of with anything less than 4000rpms, you are not using LC, and then you could get to much wheelspin if you DSC is switched totaly off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erik said:
No No.... what I mean is, if you are going to take of useing LC, you have to press the throttle to the bottom. Either you press it to the floor slowly or you just push it in fast, in either case the rpms increase to app 4-4500 rpms.
You always have to have the throttle pressed all the way to the bottom.
LC start ALWAYS start with 4-4500 rpms, that is programmed in the software. you can NOT use LC with only 2000 rpms......., the software then electronically adjust the power and clutch to apply a little amount of wheelspin.

So bottom line is, if you are taking of with anything less than 4000rpms, you are not using LC, and then you could get to much wheelspin if you DSC is switched totaly off.
:rolleyes: Ok that is something I didnt know I'll try putting my foot all the way down tommorow, just wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
:rolleyes: Ok that is something I didnt know I'll try putting my foot all the way down tommorow, just wish me luck.
I had a feeling you did something wrong.

Read the instructions agains and make sure you follow the correct procedures. :)

Remember in LC mode the rpms will stabilize at app 4-4500 rpms at full throttle........., I actually also belice the gear box will change automatically up thrue the gears..... NOT 100% sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup you were right, I just applied full throttle let go off the stick and boom it just went, it started with a little wheel spin then the RPM was held at 6,000 rpm:M5rev: until the tyres stopped screeching then went to 8,200rpm then BAM! second gear automatically (the tyres chirped) then BAM! third gear automatically again (the tyres chirped again:haha2: ) and it just kept going and going up the gears. This function is amazing good start no more worries about hitting red line or changing gears too early.:M5thumbs:

P.S This was done by P500 sport, DSC OFF, EDC on sport, Gearbox on S6, LC with the my foot down on the floor.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
//ChiplogicPower said:
Yup you were right, I just applied full throttle let go off the stick and boom it just went, it started with a little wheel spin then the RPM was held at 6,000 rpm:M5rev: until the tyres stopped screeching then went to 8,200rpm then BAM! second gear automatically (the tyres chirped) then BAM! third gear automatically again (the tyres chirped again:haha2: ) and it just kept going and going up the gears. This function is amazing good start no more worries about hitting red line or changing gears too early.:M5thumbs:
Glad to help.
Its quite an impressive experience when all break loose and the car take of.

But do not use LC all the time, save it for the special occations....

//ChiplogicPower said:
P.S This was done by P500 sport, DSC OFF, EDC on sport, Gearbox on S6, LC with the my foot down on the floor.
Yes that is the only way to get LC engaged.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Launch control wears of the clutch real bad and you have about 50 launches before change(not 25).The gearbox holds.I read in the owners manual that you can set the LC rpms-from 4000 you can set them from 3000-5000 rpms.You can do that before take off with LC when your rpms are at 4000 by moving up or down the shift for the cruise control. And it works great for me.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi guys,

Scoopz on the M5 board explains it in great detail with a very good picture gallery to back it all up.
The idea is to initiate launch control by turning off DSC, hold the lever forward and floor the throttle.
The ecu is preset to raise the revs to 4k as a default and then you let go the gear lever.
The thing now, is to keep your foot down and NOT to left at all.
This is the only way to activate launch control.
You don't lift your foot and you DON'T change gears either.
The car will do it all for you and you get maximum traction and maximum gear changes.
Check the thread out on the M5 board.
It is brilliant, and he also shows some videos of the whole thing!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.