BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using launch control last night, and I can't get it to work. My car has about 6,700 miles on it (so, well past break-in period) and I'd driven about 60 miles at highway speeds, so it was well warmed up. I followed the instructions:
* DSC off (not MDM; all the way off)
* transmission in sequential mode; it was already in the most aggressive shift setting ("3")
* left foot on brake
* shift lever all the way forward

At this point, there's supposed to be a flag on the instrument panel, but nothing happened. (Where does the flag appear?)

What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
756 Posts
I tried using launch control last night, and I can't get it to work. My car has about 6,700 miles on it (so, well past break-in period) and I'd driven about 60 miles at highway speeds, so it was well warmed up. I followed the instructions:
* DSC off (not MDM; all the way off)
* transmission in sequential mode; it was already in the most aggressive shift setting ("3")
* left foot on brake
* shift lever all the way forward

At this point, there's supposed to be a flag on the instrument panel, but nothing happened. (Where does the flag appear?)

What am I doing wrong??
Everything you've described sounds right but there's one touchy aspect to this process--don't press the brake like you're trying to stop; rather, you should be applying only enough pressure to feel the pedal resisting your foot. So in summary:

0. Make sure you've got a lot of room in front (obvious) and to the side of you!
1. DSC off
2. S3
3. Lightly apply the brake
4. Push + hold the shift-lever forward
5. Verify the Flag symbol + launch control message appears
6. Plant the gas pedal on the floor (it'll rev to and hold around 3,000RPMs)
7. Release the brake (disconcerting I know and a bloody weird process but...)
8. Adjust the RPMs up/down if necessary in small increments using the cruise control lever

To launch, you just let go of the shift-lever and keep your foot planted to the floor--don't shift and don't let up unless you're done or crashing or driving-sideways (possibly the same thing there).

·
Registered
756 Posts
What does this do to the car, maintenance-wise?
No idea--I've had two F10 M5s and I do this whenever conditions permit; no problems that I know of. This isn't a hack, it's a stock feature so presumably BMW engineer-in tolerance and safeties (the latter being engine/oil temp and frequency of launches that I know of).

·
Registered
133 Posts
No idea--I've had two F10 M5s and I do this whenever conditions permit; no problems that I know of. This isn't a hack, it's a stock feature so presumably BMW engineer-in tolerance and safeties (the latter being engine/oil temp and frequency of launches that I know of).
I read somewhere in the manual that this can cause parts to wear prematurly, it just doesnt specify. I imagine they are talking transmission, but I am sure they would not have this feature if it harmed the car.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Everything you've described sounds right but there's one touchy aspect to this process--don't press the brake like you're trying to stop; rather, you should be applying only enough pressure to feel the pedal resisting your foot. So in summary:

0. Make sure you've got a lot of room in front (obvious) and to the side of you!
1. DSC off
2. S3
8. Adjust the RPMs up/down if necessary in small increments using the cruise control lever

To launch, you just let go of the shift-lever and keep your foot planted to the floor--don't shift and don't let up unless you're done or crashing or driving-sideways (possibly the same thing there).
You say above don't shift but surely if you're in S3 you're going to have to shift?

·
Registered
756 Posts
You say above don't shift but surely if you're in S3 you're going to have to shift?
It sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but believe me--it'll shift up as long as the gas is nailed. That said, it's idea of dealing with unhelpful wheel-spin is to take the next gear early--ughh, I often think I can do better under most circumstances but it's certainly fun to do at least once.

For those with an F10 M5, you can search for Launch Control in your car's electronic user guide. My explanation above is basically a rehash of that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1. DSC off
2. S3

Thanks for the pointer about LIGHTLY pressing the brake. Maybe that was the issue.

Where on the instrument panel do I look for the flag??

·
Registered
756 Posts
Did you get it to work?

Personally, I find it works only under optimal conditions. That is, using it on a road really requires hot/sticky tires and a great road surface because (for me at least with a tune) the wheels' spin almost every time and the car's solution to 1st-gear wheelspin is "ah ha, the wheels are spinning--change to 2nd." I can run better times myself than launch control gives me *on the road* by modulating the throttle a bit. On a 1/4 mile track, however, with a sticky surface and warmed tires--now that's where launch control shines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have all conditions preprogrammed under the M1 button.
Then it is just left foot gentle on the brake, gear lever forward, floor it release it enjoy it.
But, the temps need to be ok, in general said, under normal driving conditions it doesn't work.
I really need to step on it for some ten minutes and then everything works.

IIRC the clutch is used for wheelspeed control, my dealer tells me that 1x launch = ca 1500km normal driving.
I know the number of launches are being recorded (so do the number of times you drove 300+kmh) and although BMW says they don't I am pretty sure this will be used against you in case of warranty claim.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have all conditions preprogrammed under the M1 button.
Then it is just left foot gentle on the brake, gear lever forward, floor it release it enjoy it.
But, the temps need to be ok, in general said, under normal driving conditions it doesn't work.
I really need to step on it for some ten minutes and then everything works.

IIRC the clutch is used for wheelspeed control, my dealer tells me that 1x launch = ca 1500km normal driving.
I know the number of launches are being recorded (so do the number of times you drove 300+kmh) and although BMW says they don't I am pretty sure this will be used against you in case of warranty claim.
Possibly. But I can't really see a way around BMW being forced to take and warranty issues: 1) it'd be tough to prove it's a result of launch control and 2) they already govern when the car's "ready" for launch control and how often you can use it--it'd be nigh-on impossible for them to argue "abuse" of a feature that they advertise and provide for our use and for which there are already governors in-place controlling its usage.

Personally, I don't use it much myself because I don't think it's that great (fun sometimes, though, when you want to load the engine up at launch). Plus, I kinda like my car (she even has a name) so, out of love for my rolling thing of beauty, I use it sparingly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My front brake discs keep cracking, and that is considered abnormal wear and tear as I drive 300kmh multiple times a week.
They took it from the logs, something that cannot be stopped or hidden.
I like my car too, and I like to spank her hard.
When I go on the Nurburgring that will supposedly also be documented with massive breach of guarantee while they considered that piece of one way toll road as a circuit.
Cheers from BMW :(

·
Registered
756 Posts
My front brake discs keep cracking, and that is considered abnormal wear and tear as I drive 300kmh multiple times a week.
They took it from the logs, something that cannot be stopped or hidden.
I like my car too, and I like to spank her hard.
When I go on the Nurburgring that will supposedly also be documented with massive breach of guarantee while they considered that piece of one way toll road as a circuit.
Cheers from BMW :(
Tough to argue facts like the Nurburgring with BMW... but even the occasional visit there shouldn't crack the brake disks!?! And mileage... seriously! 100 miles a day is my norm. My weekly minimum is ~500 miles and that's not counting weekends. That's in your mileage category. That simply cannot be a point of contention--not on a car with a guarantee @50,000 miles and extended warranties that well-surpass that.

The boring stuff aside: what the heck are you doing to those brakes? :0) Mine squeal a bit--so I brake hard a few times and then they don't. But cracking them... is it temperature-variation related?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi
I was not speaking about milage, but about speed (kilometer per hour) :)
Problem with the car is the speed and the weight.
300+km/h with 2tons of kerb weight, and ****ty drivers on the autobahn might raise the need braking like a maniac from 300 to 150kmh.
When your brakes are cold, which they are after 2min of driving 300km/h, the temp shock is just too big.
Well that"s what BMW says.
When I ask for the alternative, they tell me not to brake so fast.
Last time they did that, my eyebrows touched the moon, are they serious ?

Idiots.

Car is going in for service nov 5th, and they will check the 4th set of discs in 50.000km..........I know the outcome, they will mount set no 5.
The reason that the LCI has the Carbonkeramik brakes available as an option is not by surprise.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi
I was not speaking about milage, but about speed (kilometer per hour) :)
Problem with the car is the speed and the weight.
300+km/h with 2tons of kerb weight, and ****ty drivers on the autobahn might raise the need braking like a maniac from 300 to 150kmh.
When your brakes are cold, which they are after 2min of driving 300km/h, the temp shock is just too big.
Well that"s what BMW says.
When I ask for the alternative, they tell me not to brake so fast.
Last time they did that, my eyebrows touched the moon, are they serious ?

Idiots.

Car is going in for service nov 5th, and they will check the 4th set of discs in 50.000km..........I know the outcome, they will mount set no 5.
The reason that the LCI has the Carbonkeramik brakes available as an option is not by surprise.
Oooooooooooohhh, got ya! ;-)

Yeah, no argument--she's a fatty alright but, to me at least, she looks good wearing the weight and can happily hang with many of the skinny girls, too :0)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts