BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help b/c i don't know if its the car, or if I'm doing something wrong....but i can't get my car to launch

I've searched and have followed this thread as well: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...ch-control-illustrated-instructions-pics.html

So I have a 08 M5 (US Model) and recently been trying to launch it, but no luck. I drive the car to warm it up, and once it's at normal operating temps, i come to a complete stop, put the car in P500 Sport, manual mode, DSC off, EDC on, and put it in S6. I put my foot on the brake, push the gear lever forward and hold it, then release my foot off the brake and push down on the accelerator.

This is where the car is supposed to stay stationary, but the car keeps moving and won't rev to 1800/2000 RPMs (or whatever US models rev too).

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or it is something wrong w/ the car. I bought the car used, and it is all stock (as far as I know) and I don't believe any of the software has been messed with.

any advice? do 08+/LCI models not come w/ this feature?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why do you put your fooot on the brake?

i just stop

hit the m button

hold the stick forward

push down the gas

and release the stick... and WOMP instant smoke
B/c the thread link above said so?

I release the break when shifting my foot to the accelerator.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The foot on the brake isn't really totally required. It's somewhat optional. The car just has to be stationary when you press the gear selector forward to initiate the launch control sequence.

OP: I recall another member posting about this and it turned out he had an error code that was causing the problem. Once the code was cleared (obviously if there's a problem triggering the code, it must be fixed), the launch control worked fine.

These cars are amazingly advanced and monitor everything. It would make sense the car would disable launch control unless everything was working perfectly. Launch control puts a lot of stress on the car.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I'm not getting any error codes or anything, nothing on the idrive.

I only get the warning that DSC is off.

Would there be any errors that don't show up/let the driver know?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Hmm. I'm not getting any error codes or anything, nothing on the idrive.

I only get the warning that DSC is off.

Would there be any errors that don't show up/let the driver know?
Yes, if I recall correctly this is what the other member had. The car appeared perfectly fine but once checked out by the dealer there was a code listed.

Reactions: mdyaman

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My launch control works fine, but I cant get the tires to break loose.......:dunno:
Same, that's cause our US Spec LC is just to say that our car has LC. The quickest way to get a US Spec M5 off of the line is the stomp and go method and allowing for just minimal wheel spin.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, if I recall correctly this is what the other member had. The car appeared perfectly fine but once checked out by the dealer there was a code listed.
i take it all they would have to do is hook up a diagnostic computer and check for codes?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car is at dealer now being checked for any fault codes

Shop foreman says some m5s have launch control feature programmed in while others do not. But wasn't 100% sure. Wonder if this is true?

So I'll see what the results of diagnostics are.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ran diagnostics and cleared a fault code (turn signal). Car still won't launch.

Because they could not find anything wrong with the car, no other faults, and all the software is up-to-date, no recalls, there isn't anything they could do. They said they wouldn't even begin to know how to go about fixing the issue. Also they said BMW NA wouldn't endorse fixing it under warranty b/c from diagnostics, there isn't anything wrong. That and they (BMW NA) doesn't endorse LC b/c of the strain it puts on the car.

so i guess my car will never be able to launch...

maybe some M5s have this feature, maybe some do not ?

Appreciate the dealers flat out honestly about the situation and taking the time to pull me around back and work w/ their shop foreman/senior tech.

oh well

anyways, anyone in a similar situation?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ran diagnostics and cleared a fault code (turn signal). Car still won't launch.

Because they could not find anything wrong with the car, no other faults, and all the software is up-to-date, no recalls, there isn't anything they could do. They said they wouldn't even begin to know how to go about fixing the issue. Also they said BMW NA wouldn't endorse fixing it under warranty b/c from diagnostics, there isn't anything wrong. That and they (BMW NA) doesn't endorse LC b/c of the strain it puts on the car.

so i guess my car will never be able to launch...

maybe some M5s have this feature, maybe some do not ?

Appreciate the dealers flat out honestly about the situation and taking the time to pull me around back and work w/ their shop foreman/senior tech.

oh well

anyways, anyone in a similar situation?

Forget about everything you have read. Do this:

1. Drive your car around for about 20 minutes (either in S6 or whatever mode, I am always S6, DSC off, M button on that is).
2. Once the temperature is good (20 minutes ought to do it), switch the car to S6 and DSC off (M Button should be programmed to do this but make sure this is the case, no S6 = No launch).
3. Stop on a flat surface with loads of room in front and no other cars could possibly come in front of you on your straight.
4. Push the gear level forward and keep it there.
5. Push the gas (accelerator) hard, all the way down. This should start to rev the engine at about 1500 RPM or so (Euro specs rev at 4K and can be controlled to launch at a range of rpm using cruise control knob, but that doesn't apply to you).
6. As soon as the engine starts to rev, let go of the gear lever. This should launch the car like a bat out of hell. Make absolutely sure not to remove you foot off the gas or you will break the launch.
7. Shift at red line. Stay safe.

Don't do this:

1. Under any circumstances, don't kill yourself or anyone else.
2. Do not do this on busy roads or where it is illegal

·
Registered
932 Posts
You suppose to hold the lever up and than put you foot on the gas pedal all the way , than it should rev up. You don't need to press on the breaks. The beast needs to be stationary.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forget about everything you have read. Do this:

1. Drive your car around for about 20 minutes (either in S6 or whatever mode, I am always S6, DSC off, M button on that is).
2. Once the temperature is good (20 minutes ought to do it), switch the car to S6 and DSC off (M Button should be programmed to do this but make sure this is the case, no S6 = No launch).
3. Stop on a flat surface with loads of room in front and no other cars could possibly come in front of you on your straight.
4. Push the gear level forward and keep it there.
5. Push the gas (accelerator) hard, all the way down. This should start to rev the engine at about 1500 RPM or so (Euro specs rev at 4K and can be controlled to launch at a range of rpm using cruise control knob, but that doesn't apply to you).
6. As soon as the engine starts to rev, let go of the gear lever. This should launch the car like a bat out of hell. Make absolutely sure not to remove you foot off the gas or you will break the launch.
7. Shift at red line. Stay safe.

Don't do this:

1. Under any circumstances, don't kill yourself or anyone else.
2. Do not do this on busy roads or where it is illegal
i'll give it a shot again, but i've done just that, when i push the gear lever forward and step on the accelartor, the car moves when its just supposed to stay stationary and RPMs clime

·
Registered
918 Posts
i'll give it a shot again, but i've done just that, when i push the gear lever forward and step on the accelartor, the car moves when its just supposed to stay stationary and RPMs clime
That usually happens when the car has not warmed up enough. The idea of launch control being disabled from factory is folklore as far as I am concerned, I was able to launch the car even before the 1200 mile service.

·
Registered
983 Posts
After reading this, I had to give mine a try. Had never tried it before. Wow, what fun. Can't be good, long term for the car, but occasionally. Of course, I don't think the wife liked it - she asked 'So, how much are those tires?'. Guess I could have let off a little sooner....

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That usually happens when the car has not warmed up enough. The idea of launch control being disabled from factory is folklore as far as I am concerned, I was able to launch the car even before the 1200 mile service.
yep, i know. but car still won't do it. Car was running at normal operating temps. I drove 40 mins to the dealer. Tried it on the dealer lot to show the tech, no luck

the issue is that holding the gear lever forward doesn't keep the clutch engaged to allow the RPMs to climb and the car to stay stationary

1 - 20 of 41 Posts