BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the thing,

It's been a while since the last time I did my launch control on my beast.
So, Couple days ago I tried to do launch control on my M6, but it wasn't successful.
I already put my car in M-mode.DSC OFF. moved the bar up to 6
I did hold the shift gear forward, but when I tried to hit the acceleration.
The car moved forward like nothing happened, instead of revving to 1,500.
I have tried couple times but, still I wasn't able to do the launch control
:1zhelp:

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Here you go Albert, see attached.

Just dont forget, according to what I've read, 10 -12 launch controls and your clutch is toast.

Have fun and be safe!
Not exactly accurate Dan,

When I changed my clutch at 37.000 miles, due to harsh speed change, only the main bearing was gone.

The rest of the clutch was almost like new, and it had a history of more than 40 launch controls.

It is not THAT easy to toast the clutch.

George

·
8,369 Posts
Thanks for letting me know George.

I only based my statement according to what I've read.
I've only done 2 launch controls so far.

Happy to hear our clutch lasts longer than that.

Thanks!

Not exactly accurate Dan,

When I changed my clutch at 37.000 miles, due to harsh speed change, only the main bearing was gone.

The rest of the clutch was almost like new, and it had a history of more than 40 launch controls.

It is not THAT easy to toast the clutch.

George

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go Albert, see attached.

Just dont forget, according to what I've read, 10 -12 launch controls and your clutch is toast.

Have fun and be safe!
Thank you Dan for the complete guide

I did follow the guide earlier today and tried to do the launch control, however my beast did not want to do the launch(no revving at 1,500)
Do you think there is something wrong with my beast?!
should I go to $tealer to diagnose my beast (FYI, I am out of warranty already)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Your warranty will also be toasted, assuming you still have one
This is a false statement and not true.....

we don't own a Nissan GTR lol

I did over 100 launches using launch control on my 2007 and the clutch was fine. I have yet to do one in my 2010 though :15:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had this debate with my local service manager here in the UK, I think replacement under warranty is a subjective one depending on how many launches.

I know that BMW can get a view on how many launches from the car

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
I had this debate with my local service manager here in the UK, I think replacement under warranty is a subjective one depending on how many launches.

I know that BMW can get a view on how many launches from the car
Dear friend,

I have never seen, read or heard that launch controls affect warranty. Certainly it is not written anywhere.

So, why should guarantee be a subjective issue ???

In the bottom line, if BMW does not trust launch control on their cars, they should not offer it at all.

George

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Dear friend,

I have never seen, read or heard that launch controls affect guarantee. Certainly it is not written anywhere.

So, why should guarantee be a subjective issue ???

In the bottom line, if BMW does not trust launch control on their cars, they should not offer it at all.

George
I agree...that is why I find it amazing that Nissan offers this "launch control" on their vehicle but will void your warranty!! Ridiculous!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Launch control = premature wear and tear at the end of the day in my view, if you were to use the feature every day, then clearly you`d reduce component life, I`d be surprised if that was covered under warranty.

For instance you would`nt take your car on a track and then claim that the tyres had worn ahead of time.

I may be wrong, but perhaps UK readers will agree that dealers here in the UK are getting more and more tight on warranty claims by the day and the older your car gets the less interested they seem.

Just my view

Cheers

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Launch control = premature wear and tear at the end of the day in my view, if you were to use the feature every day, then clearly you`d reduce component life, I`d be surprised if that was covered under warranty.

For instance you would`nt take your car on a track and then claim that the tyres had worn ahead of time.

I may be wrong, but perhaps UK readers will agree that dealers here in the UK are getting more and more tight on warranty claims by the day and the older your car gets the less interested they seem.

Just my view

Cheers
I agree on your statement, however, to not cover it under warranty they should not place it in the owners manual of how to use this feature lol.

I may keep this 2010 forever, so I have not used launch control at all haha. Besides, it's better to just press the pedal down anyway :1:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too have never used it, I chicken out when it comes to letting go of the gear lever whilst the car is revving

Knowing my luck either car will break or I`ll get cought for dangerous driving or indeed both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts