BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully installed a launch control unit such as WOT on there m5? I'm no electronics guru but won't our ECU's enter limp mode at the detection of misfire?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
While I have zero knowledge on this subject for this car, I have had a standalone ECU on my supra with 2 step, and it is a function of the control unit being able to manage the misfires and such to build and hold boost at a standstill. I highly doubt our ECU's can do that by themselves without thinking its a fault.

Reactions: MADEM5N

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
A 2 step on a naturally aspirated car with a manual transmission? - that's a good one :rofl:

In any event from an ecu standpoint it won't be pretty.

Good luck.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Well there you go - turns out that it's a no-brainer :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there you go - turns out that it's a no-brainer :)

lol indeed... all you need is a stock ecu with no cats. maybe unplug the MAF's too :byee55amg

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Wouldnt no lift shifting burn through clutches?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldnt no lift shifting burn through clutches?
I think the idea behind the WOT box is to cut the ignition the second the clutch engages to drop the revs. Once the clutch disengages the ignition is returned. Wouldnt it be a bit softer on the clutch and synchros than hard shifts since your not slipping the clutch with all the power being put down?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
In theory yes. But I dont really know how this type of system manages the ignition to allow no lifting of the throttle, or how well it works. Like a dogbox trans, people say it works well, but it really isnt intended for day to day driving. Its not to say you cant daily it, but for most it would be an inconvenience more than anything.

This thread has got me interested on how this box works, so I will be doing some reading.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The thing between the driver seat and steering wheel is the best launch control unit I've seen on the E39 M5, sorry couldn't resist :D
An old stale dropped french fry? I dont get it....

:dunno::haha:

Reactions: Dking078
1 - 11 of 11 Posts