BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been playing around with settings on my E60 M5 (just got it 2 weeks ago) and I wanted to see your opinion on this...

I noticed that if I am in P500, with DSC off, S6 and just floor the car from a dead stand still it does a burn out... but if I leave it in normal mode floor it and then hit the M button at about 2500 RPM (after the car gets going) it takes off quite strongly without burning out, or bogging down... :checkeredflag:

I am not sure if I am the first to try this or not...but it seems like an alternative to using launch control... I am afraid of voiding my CPO warranty by launching the car ... etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
m5 is not a first and second gear car.

so therefore you will never be able to get out of the dig fast....

no matter what you do

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Euro spec LC has 2 settings. (I guess it's the same on US spec but with lower rpms.)
Hold the shift lever and put the pedal to the metal fast = Burnout mode
Hold the shift lever and put the throttle down gently = Launch Control

LC causes virtually no wheelspin because it pulsates your clutch, sort of like ABS the other way round ;).
It needs no explanation that it wears out your clutch even faster than burnout mode.

In the vid below (on-board from 46s) you can hear that there's almost no wheelspin in LC mode in the first run, the second run with 4 people on board and a filled up DVD changer :hihi: causes the car almost to stall even with the higher Euro LC rpms.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That video is full of awesome. I love the American flags at the end of the strip!! Couple that with awesome launch for M5 and a friggin rocket belt. The only thing missing is bbq ribs, unless those were infact served :applause:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's equipped with an Eisenmann race exhaust but besides that it's (was) completely stock.
I had some new Michelin PS2s on it so that might have helped :M5thumbs:.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Void of a warranty just by using launch control? Really? I may be crazy but this seems far fetched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just confirmed with a BMW tech at the local dealership that they will void warranty if they find you "abused" the car. I know Nissan has a 19 launch rule on the GTR...the 20th launch and you are out of warranty... either way nice video JWD! Wonder if the US ones have a "dual mode'' launch option.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I just confirmed with a BMW tech at the local dealership that they will void warranty if they find you "abused" the car. I know Nissan has a 19 launch rule on the GTR...the 20th launch and you are out of warranty... either way nice video JWD! Wonder if the US ones have a "dual mode'' launch option.
BMW tech will say whatever they can to try and void their warranty. I did over 100 LC on the 2007 I had, and not one problem when it came to warranty. Nissan actually says you can't use their launch control at all or it will void warranty.

With BMW there is no such rule. They put it on the car, they can't deny you what your warranty states. Nissan has several lawsuits with their launch control and warranty issues...I can't imagine BMW would want to go down that path either.

·
Registered
707 Posts
so anyone have any advice on how to launch the smg without LC?

when to shift?

from 1st to 2nd?

from 2nd to 3rd?

should you be in 3rd when you hit 60? or still in 2nd?

ive been waiting till redline before shifting and i dont get very good times...

also, what about getting the revs up with the brake depressed, then launching?

i find just taking your foot off the brake and flooring it results in a sluggish start...
:confused2:confused2:confused2

·
Registered
686 Posts
$tealers. Huh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts