BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extracts from AMS interview with BMW M division new chief Ulirich Bruhnke:

- M division is expecting to increase sales numbers of its models

- M5, M6 and M6 Cabrio are on the way

- a possibility that Z4 M will be built because of big prospects' interest

- MB SLR / Porsche Carrera GT / Audi LeMans competitior will be built (by M divisioon) only if marketing research confirms a need for this kind of model - no activities yet; BUT there will be a concept (a design study) of such a supercar shown at one of the coming auto shows!!!

- no M Touring models and X3 / X5 in plan (reasons: SUV's don't suit M philosophy; touring plays insignificant role in USA - M's most important market)

- M will stick with NA engines (no turbos) and will concetrate on lightweight constructions (more CSL models in the future)


Source: Auto-Motor-und-Sport
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
There is a bit of a contradiction here. The USA is the M's most important market and they are focusing on new CSL type models. Does this mean we may actually see a CSL in the USA? :1:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
Gustav said:
Wo-ho, great news! A supercar! :)
Maybe look back at the M8 and the proposed competition with the F40? Hopefully, with M as a GmbH, they can do it with out the BMW AG boneheads messing it up. Any specualtions on this one? For me, this is the most intriguing of the news (besides CSL versions), because:

1) M8 should have happened. Unbelieveable possibility with that car and the engine they built for it. I would love to see the prototype of the M8 in action for only a few seconds and I would be more than happy.

2) Supercar. Z8 doesnt cut it for supercar, and in fact, there has never been a BMW supercar. With BMW engines, there should be a supercar. And IMHO, it would be really awesome if M stayed true to some of its roots and made this more along the line of the F40, meaning no luxury (no ac, no radio, nothing unnecessary) and built for speed and handling.

This is very promising! Thanks for the news!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Glad the M philisophy is still intact, and that only cars deserving of the M denotation get it. I think there are some intense years coming out soon for M with all the pressure they have taken from AMG.
I cant wait to see what crops up, and a supercar (and not just a nice convertable like the Z*) would be nice.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Thank you Mr. Bruhnke for keeping the M name true to its heritage.

:noSMG: Pierce!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
OK, who will ask about torque now? Who will be the first to talk nonsense about how MB will always dominate the BMW supercar because it has more torque?

If the supercar happens, it like the M5, will bury the competition. Then maybe 5 years from now Audi and Caddy will have a car that matches that level of performance and some will say "oh, look out, Audi is now starting to dominate the performance car arena, and all you need to do is put some extra boost on that turbo and it will eat everything alive." All a bunch of b.s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
So you have to assume that the upcoming M5/M6 models will be done right and well executed. BMW M will surely leap frog above the current MB and Audi product but the time they take to catch up this time will be surely shorter than during the E39 M5 era.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
OK, who will ask about torque now? Who will be the first to talk nonsense about how MB will always dominate the BMW supercar because it has more torque?

If the supercar happens, it like the M5, will bury the competition. Then maybe 5 years from now Audi and Caddy will have a car that matches that level of performance and some will say "oh, look out, Audi is now starting to dominate the performance car arena, and all you need to do is put some extra boost on that turbo and it will eat everything alive." All a bunch of b.s.
hiha Sounds like most threads I have read in the last few months. Good stuff.
I agree with you Terk, I dont think Audi and MB will let themselves get caught with their pants down again. It took them both many years to finally make a car that is was direct and honest competiton. Those years meant a lot of $ lost to the rival, and not too many car companies like doing that twice (except for with the Mustang...it was rarely faster than the GM counterparts...for the good part of almost 40 years. Ok Ok, it had other merits... :biggrin: )
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Terk said:
BMW M will surely leap frog above the current MB and Audi product but the time they take to catch up this time will be surely shorter than during the E39 M5 era.
Especially when you can argue that MB and Audi have already passed BMW.

NOT SAYING THAT IS TRUE!!! SO HOLD THE FLAMES!!

But, everyone measures a great car by something different.

Staying away from FI (turbos or superchargers) will make the goal of building a supercar "better" than all of the others difficult. But it will only be difficult because it will depend on who is defining the "supercar". Some look at raw speed, raw acceleration, but have some compromises in the handling, braking, and feel departments (I would put MB in this group). Some look at "balanced" cars that handle, stop, have great feel, but give away some raw speed and acceleration (I would put BMW in this group, at least the current M5, we will see about the new one soon hopefully). The ones that are into raw power say that the "balanced" crowd are making excuses for their "slow" cars. The balanced crowd go after the raw power crowd with "yeah, but get it in the twisties".

Who is right? What is a supercar?

And sorry to say it.. but torque will come up, because that is the measurement that some use to measure how great a car is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Good News!
SLR/Carrera GT/Enzo / or even LMQ competitor sounds good. Time to see the F1 efforts go back to ultra high end super cars.

btw, does BMW have the $$$ or the technology to make one? looks like even DC outsource to mclaren and audi has its lamborghini (and perhaps even bentley and bugatti cost sharing) as technology partner for development and manufacturering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Moletko said:
...no M Touring models.....touring plays insignificant role in USA - M's most important market
Think they are overlooking Europe some what with that statement. BMW lost a hell of a lot of sales to the RS6 Avant and purely down to there being no E39 M5 Touring. I think there is a large and growing demand now for performance touring models. It would be an unwise decision to give more sales to your competitors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
M! said:
Good News!
SLR/Carrera GT/Enzo / or even LMQ competitor sounds good. Time to see the F1 efforts go back to ultra high end super cars.

btw, does BMW have the $$$ or the technology to make one? looks like even DC outsource to mclaren and audi has its lamborghini (and perhaps even bentley and bugatti cost sharing) as technology partner for development and manufacturering.
:confused2
Ehh...
What do you mean? DC Owns 50% of the Mclaren and are thereby putting in the bucks in to the company to develope SLR.
And what comes to VW/AUDI "sharing" costs with bugatti/lamborghini/bentley... These companies are fully owned by the VW/Audi corporation and the positive effects of this affect more these little marques: New Bentleys share components and development costs with VW phaeton, Lamborghini has got a lot of money pumped in to get a competetive model programme , and the bugatti is still a money pit. I cant see these branches contributing with much, especially when the components are flowing from the mother company to these minor manufacturers to enable cost effective production.
One thing is true though: through these niche cars, VW get a lot of experience in super/ sports car manufacturing but I really cant see very much cost efficiency in this, or major benefit for the Audi/VW cars. The benefit goes in opposite direction.
I think BMW, being one of the most profitable car companies in the world, can afford the development/production costs of a low series supercar. This kind of wehicle is simpler/chaper to develope than a family saloon, mainly because there is no need of compromising and optimizing the construction to fit a number of different purposes and to pass demands for fuel economy etc...
The technical know how is definitely there.

cherrsagai
Sakke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
DrSakke said:
I think BMW, being one of the most profitable car companies in the world, can afford the development/production costs of a low series supercar. This kind of wehicle is simpler/chaper to develope than a family saloon, mainly because there is no need of compromising and optimizing the construction to fit a number of different purposes and to pass demands for fuel economy etc...
The technical know how is definitely there.

cherrsagai
Sakke
Yeah, and if they want to play in that market.. they better get moving fast. Even Chrysler is talking about building that V12 monster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
With regards to not using forced induction, what about the Mclaren F1 engine BMW made 10 years ago that's more powerful than the Porsche and M-B offerings now. Okay the Enzo offers 650bhp but come on imagine what BMW could do now! :noSMG:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,477 Posts
Cant they just do a copy opf the McLaren F1 and say :byebye: to everything! The company with the knowledge to do the McLaren F1 engine must be able to do an off the charts supercar!



Stealthm5 said:
With regards to not using forced induction, what about the Mclaren F1 engine BMW made 10 years ago that's more powerful than the Porsche and M-B offerings now. Okay the Enzo offers 650bhp but come on imagine what BMW could do now! :noSMG:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Gustav said:
Cant they just do a copy opf the McLaren F1 and say :byebye: to everything! The company with the knowledge to do the McLaren F1 engine must be able to do an off the charts supercar!
Unfortunanetly they can't as to achieve that weight you must get rid of most of the modern safety fearures like Airbags , ABS , Power steering , Traction Control , etc.....

The Mclaren F1 road car weighs just 1138 Kilos and produces 627 BHP 0-60 MPH in 3.2 seconds , Maximum Speed 391 KM/HR
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top