BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not quite finished as yet as I still have to take the top dash out and run the loom. But yesterday I manged to get the centre console out, the loom that runs under it fitted and the rear console fitted.

Now I say its Rare as I had never seen one of these before in the UK until I saw it in a mates car (he had retro fitted it). The only other car I have seen it on was the one that mine came from which was an Alpina.

When I 1st bought it the part was in cream leather so I'd like to give a big thanks to John @ Beespoke leathering who releathered it for me in black with the correct M5 stitching. Took a few days extra as the leather had to be thined as Alpina would have so that it worked and fitted.

Any way 1st up I had to get the centre console out, So many wires.

Then I had to replace the Air tube that runs under the console, as you can see it has a different end to it (oblong rather than oval).

The reason that the end is oblong is so that this part fits, its an extra blower fan which has its own heat resistor which is part of the reason you need the extra loom.

Once I had made sure the blower would sit in place I had to add an extra cage to hold the rear console, this will attach to the cage already in the centre console. However so that it will fit I 1st had to cut up the centre console, you need to cut out a section at the back that goes between the floor and the cupholders / cubby hole ......... once you know how much a new centre console is this is one stage you need to get right.

Next up once the centre console has been re-fitted is to add the addtional cage, this screws in at the front at the same points and the centre console and at the back screws into the carpet.

Then fit the new blower, I had to make up a couple of mounts for this so that it sat at the right height and then just screw into the carpet.

Once thats done I then fitted the outer part of the rear console

I then fitted the can holder and the new rear vents, the vents have not been pushed right in yet as they are a nightmare to get back out and I want to make sure it all works as it shoukld one the loom is finished before I push them home.

Finally I fitted the strips you can see at the bottom which hide the joins.

Once the climate pannel has been fitted the rear passengers will be able to have full control over hot and cold air in the rear and on top of that you can keep two cans of drink ice cold (inside the holder there is a slider which opens a small vent that allows the A/C to blow in even with the rear vents switched off.

So there you have it ............... thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So much win.

That looks great! I didn't even know this existed for our cars, something to think about for sure as I rarely carry more than 3 passengers

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well done! :)

How expensive was those parts? If I remember correctly, this is quite expensive mod?
I would like to have this too (noidea why?!? 12V freezer in trunk is allmost the same and still I have three rear seats available) :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts new are not cheap at all, I manged to pick mine up second hand from an Alpina car. But that still meant having it re-covered along with some new parts such as:

Loom
Climate Pannel
Resistor
Cage

So all in all it is an expensive mod.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still need to work out how to hook up the loom thou, by the sounds of it I have to run a Power, Ground and a wire to the LCM.

Need to find out if these need to be spliced into the loom or if there is block on the new loom that has these 3 wires and I just need to run them.

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
Great thread!

If those interested search, this has been once before somewhere on here. I believe there were a bunch of part numbers in the thread also, although no way of knowing if the part numbers are still good. From memory, the part numbers also included the different colors, although that can be taken care of by a good leather shop.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wait, so was this originally like some BMW Individual item or an Alpina-only option? Or neither? Can this be had for up to or less than $1,000 (parts only)? If this is a factory option...that is wild.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Its not quite finished as yet as I still have to take the top dash out and run the loom. But yesterday I manged to get the centre console out, the loom that runs under it fitted and the rear console fitted.

Now I say its Rare as I had never seen one of these before in the UK until I saw it in a mates car (he had retro fitted it). The only other car I have seen it on was the one that mine came from which was an Alpina.

When I 1st bought it the part was in cream leather so I'd like to give a big thanks to John @ Beespoke leathering who releathered it for me in black with the correct M5 stitching. Took a few days extra as the leather had to be thined as Alpina would have so that it worked and fitted.

Any way 1st up I had to get the centre console out, So many wires.

Then I had to replace the Air tube that runs under the console, as you can see it has a different end to it (oblong rather than oval).

The reason that the end is oblong is so that this part fits, its an extra blower fan which has its own heat resistor which is part of the reason you need the extra loom.

Once I had made sure the blower would sit in place I had to add an extra cage to hold the rear console, this will attach to the cage already in the centre console. However so that it will fit I 1st had to cut up the centre console, you need to cut out a section at the back that goes between the floor and the cupholders / cubby hole ......... once you know how much a new centre console is this is one stage you need to get right.

Next up once the centre console has been re-fitted is to add the addtional cage, this screws in at the front at the same points and the centre console and at the back screws into the carpet.

Then fit the new blower, I had to make up a couple of mounts for this so that it sat at the right height and then just screw into the carpet.

Once thats done I then fitted the outer part of the rear console

I then fitted the can holder and the new rear vents, the vents have not been pushed right in yet as they are a nightmare to get back out and I want to make sure it all works as it shoukld one the loom is finished before I push them home.

Finally I fitted the strips you can see at the bottom which hide the joins.

Once the climate pannel has been fitted the rear passengers will be able to have full control over hot and cold air in the rear and on top of that you can keep two cans of drink ice cold (inside the holder there is a slider which opens a small vent that allows the A/C to blow in even with the rear vents switched off.

So there you have it ............... thoughts welcomed.
That looks really sharp! Go to www.realoem.com (if you haven't already), fill in your vehicle info in the appropriate fields, and when you get to the parts section, click on (#91 -Main Group) Individual Equipment. When the the sub-group box comes up, click on (#91-35) Storing Partition, Center Console/Armrest. Any brackets or parts you may need should be listed. In case you did not know, where you have leather on your console, you can also get the wood fascias that match the wood trim in your car (if you have wood trim). For the parts concerning the blower, just check the Heating/AC sub-groups, etc.

You can also go to www.bmwtips.com. Click on Tips and Tricks and then go to Interior and click on #22, OEM Center Console/Cupholder Cooler. That's a really cool mod, I think. Your's looks really neat in black leather.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I really like it for some reason

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe this was an option on any E39 whether it be a 540i, M5 or Alpina.

If you were to buy each part from the dealer I think you would be looking at $1200 - $1400 ish.

The only down side doing that is that the flap / lid on the back part only comes in wood's there is no option for the M5 titan finish.

As mine came from an Alpina it had already been done in leather so I just had it re-done in black leather.

One of the most expensive parts is the climate panel, once instaled I am led to belive that it becomes a slave unit
as the passengers in the rear can then have hot or cold air seperate to the front.

And thanks for all the comments guys, its always nice when mods and work are apprciated.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Great Stuff Maca !!

Keep up the good work mate !

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe this was an option on any E39 whether it be a 540i, M5 or Alpina.

If you were to buy each part from the dealer I think you would be looking at $1200 - $1400 ish.

The only down side doing that is that the flap / lid on the back part only comes in wood's there is no option for the M5 titan finish.

As mine came from an Alpina it had already been done in leather so I just had it re-done in black leather.

One of the most expensive parts is the climate panel, once instaled I am led to belive that it becomes a slave unit
as the passengers in the rear can then have hot or cold air seperate to the front.

And thanks for all the comments guys, its always nice when mods and work are apprciated.
I wonder if the dealer would actually have this part. I love finding out weird, cool stuff like this exists. This seems like a very 90's mod. So, cool. I bet almost no one got this option.

Besides the extra space, chilled drinks and passenger controlled rear-climate, this thing just looks really cool. Makes the interior look more luxurious. Gives the M5 a little bit of Maybach Limo type appeal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts