BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My warranty is up on 29 March. I bought the car a couple of months ago with 33,000 KMs (20,500 miles) and it now has 35,200 Kms (21,900 miles).

According to an article in the Tech Q & A section of Feb-08 Bimmer magazine, the car should get a free brake fluid change (I'll have SS brake lines installed at the same time), a coolant change using the Original BMW anti-freeze, an interior air filter, and a set of wiper blades.

The article also suggests, before the warranty work is done, taking the car to an independent technician to have the entire vehicle fully inspected, similar to an in-depth PPI.

Is the inspection by an independent worth the cost and effort?

Regards,
Alex

BTW, I plan on purchasing additional after-market warranty, from my BMW dealer, one day before my BMW warranty expires. It will be for ~ 42,000 Kms (26,000 miles) and 3 years for ~ $2,200. What do you think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Warranty

I do not have much to offer about your questions as my CPO is up in May and I will probably do all of the stuff you mentioned. Also, from my experience, $2,200 for a 3 year warranty seems very inexpensive and I would do that in about a second (assuming the coverage is good) if my dealer offered that (for whatever reason, I do not think they do as I thought I asked once and but ownership has changed hands so maybe it is possible now). Heck, $2,200 could be one or two repairs (outside of something really major), right? seems like somewhat cheap insurance on cars that cost this much IMHO. Maybe others with more experience with them will have a different opinion. Hope it goes smoothly.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Considering the mileage of the car, I wouldnt buy the warranty. I'd just put the money aside as "fix the M5 money."

I got the car at nearly 60k miles, so I found it imperative to get an extended warranty. I got one for $2400 and it nearly paid itself off.

But if you think peace of mind is priceless, then I would suggest that you get the extended warranty as soon as possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Warranty

Good point- coming from someone who has more mileage and many more posts than me. The other thing about the $2,200 and with any warranty is that they are selling it to make money, so on average, they will make money on it. And just like Diny said, if that peace of mind is priceless, then do it (it must be to me as I said I would do it in a second). Depends on your confidence in the car, I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts