BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to see if there's anything I should be particularly concerned about with this next visit? Read a post about rubber U-joints being defective, so I'll add that to the list. Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I purchased an extended warranty...actually went through AAA...great price, refundable, transferable if I decide to sell, and pro-rated if I decide to cancel. 5yr/75K miles...$100 ded, pay up front or over 1yr.
Cheaper than the 2yr option the dealer tried to push.

Anyway, recently had Inspection 1 done, but no one went over the results with me. Is that a good thing, or not?? I'm guessing not... :flag:

·
10,445 Posts
generally the dealers don't seem to go over much of what they do, you have to ask them specific questions, which they usually can't answer. As for what to check, this is another one of those areas you likely won't get much out of the dealer. THey can't sell warranty work, so asking them to check something, without giving them symptoms of a pending failure will likely not get you far. You may be best off bringing the car to a recommended local independant shop and having them do a 'warranty inspection' (that's what my local shop called it at least) where they go thru the car, like they would a pre-purchase inspection, and give you a list of potential things to get repaired.
The 'rubber u joint' or Guibo as it used to be called is a wear item, and seems to fail between 50-70k miles (at least in my hands). I actually haven't had one completely fail, but they start to crack.
Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts