BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this before but never got a straight answer.. Does anyone know what costs are involved with shipping an M5 to California ? Someone had suggested contacting a Tony Yee.. I had a friend in San Diego call him and he said that Tony was not in the business no more but that the fees were somewhere in the $15,000 dollar range..??!! Why ? My friend mentioned that Tony told him that the entire block has to be resealed.. why?? Please if anyone can give me some insight here I will really appreciate it. I might be leaving Dubai in about a month and theres nothing I would like more than to be able to take my M with me..
:typing: :M5eyes:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I don't know who Tony is or who he works for but i suggest you contact BMW north america and get a straight answer from them. You could even give them your VIN # and go from there.

But i have heard in general that alot of things would need to be changed from horns to doors. Of course not talking about an M5 but a definite answer from a reliable source like bmw NA would answer your question.

Good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
atlantisvip said:
I've asked this before but never got a straight answer.. Does anyone know what costs are involved with shipping an M5 to California ? Someone had suggested contacting a Tony Yee.. I had a friend in San Diego call him and he said that Tony was not in the business no more but that the fees were somewhere in the $15,000 dollar range..??!! Why ? My friend mentioned that Tony told him that the entire block has to be resealed.. why?? Please if anyone can give me some insight here I will really appreciate it. I might be leaving Dubai in about a month and theres nothing I would like more than to be able to take my M with me..
:typing: :M5eyes:
No doubt you can find a reputable shipping company that would be willing to trasnport your M5 to San Diego. Think of all the commerce going by ship to California!

I'm not sure what "resealing" your engine block means. I would suspect that it's a reference to sealing the engine to prevent corrosion during the long sea voyage. What we do with aircraft engines that are not going to be flown for more than a month or so is to "pickle" them. That means replacing the oil with an anti-corrosion oil (sold by many mfrs) and replacing the spark plugs with dessicator plugs. All aimed at preventing internal corrosion of the engine by removing any moisture from the system. You'd likely also want to seal the exhaust system, and perhaps spray the entire chassis with a corrosion proofing agent such as ACF-50 or CorrosionX. At least that's what I'd do.

Good luck, Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts