BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
one light always stays on right? I honestly can't remember but I'm 90% certain that one light stays on. On center or a bit left of center is norm. I never even pay attention to the tach lights. It's shifts under 3k until she's warm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The redline is there to warn you to never exceed that rpm level (7000). The yellow line (you call it orange) is there to warn you that sustained engine operation in this rpm range (6500-7000) will cause engine damage.

Enjoy your S62!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanx

This is my third E39, 1 540iA and a 54o 6spdwith Nav for sale, now i finaly got my dream car even though there are issues with it. It is salvage, Very light hit to left front. I have owned a E39 since 99. I have 8k in it and it has 62k on the odometer. I was going to change the Thermosatat. Good thing i asked a question. I have a E31 also. thanx again for the info. Any other cool tricks? I do not have a owners manual.

I did do tha euro headlight all on thingy with Navcoder though.

The redline is there to warn you to never exceed that rpm level (7000). The yellow line (you call it orange) is there to warn you that sustained engine operation in this rpm range (6500-7000) will cause engine damage.

Enjoy your S62!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts

Enjoy your S62!
Im pretty sure if the 6500-7000 range would cause engine damage, it would be red

I was under the impression the orange light indicated the varying gear redlines. 6600 limit in first, 6800 rpm in all other gears.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Thanx

I was going to change the Thermosatat. Any other cool tricks? I do not have a owners manual.
You still may need to, seems a lot of us have changed the Thermo. Cool tricks would be to unlock the OBC "secret menu" so you can read your real temps. Owners manual not a problem you will find it and the fore mentioned in>
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...34-e39-m5-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

Congrats you will find this to be your most temperamental BMW, but I can be safe to say your favorite.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The final orange light (6500 - 7000) stays on. I think the tach light's are a function of oil temp, these how they turn off on my car.

First pair of tach lights (4000 - 4500 rpm) oil temp 20C
Second pair of tach lights (4500 - 5000 rpm) oil temp 40C
Third pair of tach lights (5000 - 5500 rpm) oil temp 50C
Final three tach lights (5500 - 6500 rmp) oil temp 60C

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find myself shifting at 6000 rpm after the car is completely warmed up because the tach doesn't seem to keep pace with the motor. I end up hitting the rev limitter if I keep going past 6000. The engine just revs so freely, you see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts