BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warranty on my 2002 M5 expires today, Wedn. Oct 5, 2005.

I plan to bring the car into dealer to:

1) check headlights
see thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59712

2) Oil change ..... dont know status of oil since car purchase in Aug. 2005

Is there anything else that anyone can suggest I have them, check or fix.
Recalls ??
Update Nav software ??
etc.

Thanks,
GR

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ask them to do a thorough inspection of the car looking of for problems or potential problems (offer to pay a small fee for such -- I did on mine and it was worth it although they didn't charge me anything). Assume your power steering hoses are leaking too. :) Also have them check for stored codes (even though there is no SES light on) to correct any issues there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ask them to go over the entire car for any possible problems - remember, they get paid by the factory to perform warranty work so they'll be happy to do it. Also, anything they fix or change can be covered by the same warranty ticket later on even after today. Do mention that you need to make sure the car is in top form and as safe as possible.

Derek

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tell them to check the rear sway bar clamps

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
No extended warranty purchase plans? Today is the day...

·
Registered
6 Posts
ard said:
No extended warranty purchase plans? Today is the day...
Make a service appointment and tell them you are considering the extended warranty option and you were told you need them to do an inspection first. You will have to pay cash - do so knowing they will be more careful than if you just said "hey my warranty is expiring - could you check the car out for me". Pay them and let them think they are covering their own asses.

·
10,458 Posts
Suretyagent said:
Ask them to go over the entire car for any possible problems - remember, they get paid by the factory to perform warranty work so they'll be happy to do it. Also, anything they fix or change can be covered by the same warranty ticket later on even after today. Do mention that you need to make sure the car is in top form and as safe as possible.

Derek

In the US, bmw dealers are not in a position to 'sell' warranty work. If you go in with complaint A, and they find worn B and broken C they generally won't warranty B and C unless you are complaining about it, unfortunately. You could ask them to do a 'pre purchase inspection' on the car, most likely for a fee, and then go back on another repair order to fix whatever they find... Might have better luck with an independent shop doing a look over, my shop does a 'end of warranty inspection' for a pretty neglible fee.
mike

·
Registered
947 Posts
I ended up going with an independent shop. They did the inspection for $80, took about an hour. They look for things that would be covered under standard BMW warranty. They found a leak in my power steering and even advised me on how to word the complaint to the dealership. Well worth the money and time. I have greater trust in what is found by the independent shop vs. a dealership.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Osodog said:
I ended up going with an independent shop. They did the inspection for $80, took about an hour. They look for things that would be covered under standard BMW warranty. They found a leak in my power steering and even advised me on how to word the complaint to the dealership. Well worth the money and time. I have greater trust in what is found by the independent shop vs. a dealership.
I did the same and it paid for itself. I wouldn't for 1 moment be dumb enough to expect the dealer to do a complete review of the car on their nickel, and then admit to everything they have to fix at a reduced warrente rate.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Vista BMW in Coconut Creek, Florida to have them check out the headlights, do oil change and any possible warranty work.

I bust my butt to get up early and beat traffic to get their at 7:30AM open. I dont usually wake up till 7AM for 9AM work start so I was a bit groggy.

Got there 7:36AM and was 5th in line.

The headlights are working fine. Just user error and ignorance of the manual I guess. These new fangle high tech cars making me feel stupid. :grrrr:
No problem found.

I did request an oil change but the service rep said not necessary since after reading the key (another amazement to me, what the ??? :confused3 ) he said I had 3 solid green bars and service was not necessary until orange/yellow shows.
So no oil change.

I did request a system/diagnostics check but the service rep. blew me off and said i dont have a "magic wand" to tell what is bad or close to fail on the car.
So no system/diagnostic check.

I kinda felt, geez what a waste of time, but I guess I should be glad that there is nothing obviously wrong with the car and the lights do work fine.

One sight to see was after cruising by Champion Audi around the corner to visit a buddy, I saw a M5 competitor, the Audi RS6 in the showroom. It was a 2003 with 13K miles, auto, black out/black int for $80k. With all things being equal I still prefer the M5, at least it was manual/stick.

Overall its my fault that I waited so long to take it to dealer to have the car checked out. The warranty expiration date snuck up on me. Just was busy the last month with "stuff".

The car did go through a "pre-sale" inspection which I requested of the owner and he obliged before I bought the car. The owner's BMW dealer inspected, found and fixed/replaced sway bar brackets. I have the report from the dealer and with that I had more confidence with the purchase of the car.

I also have since aquired a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for 72months/100K miles, so the car is covered ...... I hope !

BTW, is there such thing as a second/third party service/maintenance plan/program that will take care of routine service/maintenance costs ??

Peace,
GR

Peace,
GR :7:

·
Registered
842 Posts
mottati said:
In the US, bmw dealers are not in a position to 'sell' warranty work. If you go in with complaint A, and they find worn B and broken C they generally won't warranty B and C unless you are complaining about it, unfortunately. You could ask them to do a 'pre purchase inspection' on the car, most likely for a fee, and then go back on another repair order to fix whatever they find... Might have better luck with an independent shop doing a look over, my shop does a 'end of warranty inspection' for a pretty neglible fee.
mike
Hi Mike:

You're right. My dealer thought they were going to sell me a warranty so that's why they went over the car with a fine tooth (CPO) comb. I don't remeber paying them for the inspection but I tend to forget some of the more painful M5 ownership experiences. (Like buying new tires every 8,000 miles)

Derek

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
AHhh, what a long day ....... now after a nice nap, I had sometime to review the day.

Now that I think about the experience at Vista BMW, Im kinda thinking that service rep. did not do me justice.

As a new BMW owner of one of their finer cars he simply blew me off and did not make me feel like a wanted and valued customer like I felt with Mercedes dealer.
He knew I was a new BMW owner since he had to create a new owner record in his database. Then all he could do was give me a sarcastic remark like .....
" I dont have a magic wand to tell what is bad or close to fail on the car."

Bad customer service.

Rather he should have said, "well we have the latest sophisticated diagnostics tools for your car. Let me have them check out your car."

Thats what I expected when I entered the dealership.

Then soon after his remark and summarizing my requests he says, BMW will call you for a follow-up survey, so please respond with all-5's for me.

Now Im thinking ...... dude you get a Big Fat ..... "Zero" .....

Not amused in South Florida .....

Peace,

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently went in to a very reputable independent shop even though my car is under warranty to replace a wheel bearing (another story). They thoroughly inspected my car and told me I should bring it back to BMW to get all the things repaired under the standard warranty:

Cracking Flex disc
Loose Tie Rod + Alignment
Rear Sway Bar was broken

(These are all things they checked as a courtesy)

I was at the dealer just 10 days prior for a part needing replacement on the interior - cracked trim piece) I thought that was going to be my last visit before she hit 50k, but after visiting with the independent shop and a final visit to the dealer, I think she's about as good as new. My car is CPO and also has extended maintenance - but the SA said that it was good to have "EVERYTHING REPLACED UNDER THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY (as much as we possibly do)".

My .02

Jeremy

·
Registered
131 Posts
speedmonkee said:
I recently went in to a very reputable independent shop even though my car is under warranty to replace a wheel bearing (another story). They thoroughly inspected my car and told me I should bring it back to BMW to get all the things repaired under the standard warranty:

Cracking Flex disc
Loose Tie Rod + Alignment
Rear Sway Bar was broken

(These are all things they checked as a courtesy)

I was at the dealer just 10 days prior for a part needing replacement on the interior - cracked trim piece) I thought that was going to be my last visit before she hit 50k, but after visiting with the independent shop and a final visit to the dealer, I think she's about as good as new. My car is CPO and also has extended maintenance - but the SA said that it was good to have "EVERYTHING REPLACED UNDER THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY (as much as we possibly do)".

My .02

Jeremy

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
gramsay said:
I went to Vista BMW in Coconut Creek, Florida to have them check out the headlights, do oil change and any possible warranty work.

Peace,
Why go to Coconut Creek when you are in West Palm Beach?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gsfent said:
Why go to Coconut Creek when you are in West Palm Beach?
Regards,
Jerry
I work in Boca and wanted to go to Vista, Coconut Creek first thing in morning before work.

Guess, that plan backfired ... :crying:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts