BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I tested the k40 vs. V1 side by side. The K 40 outperformed the V1 every time, especially from the rear. The K 40 also defuses lazar, the V1 dosen't
Bruce

·
Registered
306 Posts
Against photo radar, the K40 is inferior to the V1, I'm surprised to read that the K40 is more sensitive, are you talking about false signals or real radar traps?

I have the K40 laser defuser installed at the front plate. Have little idea how I can test it out though!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Of course I'm talking REAL radar traps. I had them both in my car at the same time. The K 40 was faster every time, especially from the rear.
Bruce

·
Registered
890 Posts
Of course I'm talking REAL radar traps. I had them both in my car at the same time. The K 40 was faster every time, especially from the rear. Not to mention the fact that it is out of sight and therefore less likely to infect a troopers mind once you've been stopped. MAYBE if he dosen't see it he'll let you go.. Never happen with the V1 Your busted!
Bruce

·
Registered
306 Posts
How exactly can one do a fair comparison of rear radar traps? Did you have both radar detectors in a stionary car with a radar approaching from behind? I wish I had a radar gun to play around with.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't remember but I paid around Cdn$325 for the K40 defuser, roughly US$210 from a Vancouver, BC, Canada audio video retailer chain called A & B Sound. As it was such a good deal, I couldn't say no..

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ok. From what I understand, the K40 is a laser diffuser. which means that it isn't an actual radar detector, is it? so would one be advised to use BOTH a k40 and a valentine 1?

--Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rebel1,
If you did your test with both the K40 and V1 running at the same time they MAY disrupt each others readings, while I have never seen a radar/laser test on the K40 I have read numerous ones on the V1, in all these test the V1 ran the cleanest(in other words it leaked the least amount of radar and upset other detectors the least)You may want to run a comparison of them independently to get a more accurate results of these or any other detectors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So whats the best combo for detecting and jamming.

It sounds like there is not much between the V1 and K40 for detection although I heard the K40 is quite expensive and needs to be installed by a "pro".

As for jamming, the K40 Pro sounds like the best.

Hummm

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a cop in the family who helped me out. I tried them both ways, one at a time and both on at the same time, with identical results.
It cost aroud $1,5000.00 but well worth it. An $80,000.00 car deserves the best. It has lazar defusion from the front and radar from both rear and front. The stealth mount is the best part. All you see are L.E.D.s on both sides of the dash. Right side for rear and left side for front, when both light up it's lazar. The sounds are separated as well rear right, and front left. Lights up like a christmas tree.
Don't believe the claims of bumper mounting being infereior to dash mounts. Radar is a very wide band. A foot or so makes no difference. I suppose in the $300.00 range the V1 is best in that class. My tests prove the k 40 superior in every way.
Last week I went on a road ralley with Kelvin who has the V1. We went through a radar trap and his V1 didn't even detect it while my K 40 did. Happy motoring
Bruce

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a cop in the family who helped me out. I tried them both ways, one at a time and both on at the same time, with identical results.
It cost aroud $1,5000.00 but well worth it. An $80,000.00 car deserves the best. It has lazar defusion from the front and radar from both rear and front. The stealth mount is the best part. All you see are L.E.D.s on both sides of the dash. Right side for rear and left side for front, when both light up it's lazar. The sounds are separated as well rear right, and front left. Lights up like a christmas tree.
Don't believe the claims of bumper mounting being infereior to dash mounts. Radar is a very wide band. A foot or so makes no difference. I suppose in the $300.00 range the V1 is best in that class. My tests prove the k 40 superior in every way.
Last week I went on a road ralley with Kelvin who has the V1. We went through a radar trap and his V1 didn't even detect it while my K 40 did. Happy motoring
Bruce

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
you must mean $1500.. not $15000!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bruce,it'll be interesting if you do a Photo radar comparison. My friend's K40 simply failed to detect photo radar and that's why I picked the V1 for radar detection over the K40.

Photo radar traps (ka band) are very common where I am so the V1 wins hands down in that regard.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a web site to find out what is legal and what the chosen/preferred weapon of the police is?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have both K40 with Laser Defuser and V1 installed.
V1 seems a bit more sensitive and picks up signal further away.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My son in law is a police officer. He set up a trap here in Ny. The first day he had Lidar set up. I began at the same point every time, about 1 mile south of him. I set my odometer and my stop watch. After attaining a speed of 45 MPH I observed. My friend was with me operating the stop watch. The first day with Lidar with only the V1 on we marked the point in the road and the time on the stop watch where the first detection went off. Then we tried it with thye k40 alone and then with both on. Every time the K 40 was earlier. we tried several times, every time marking the point in the road and 100% of the time the V1 was slower.
The next day we tried it with radar. I don't know if it was photo or not but the results were the same. I'm expecting to do it again next week with "instant on" radar.
Also I was not able to test lazar as my son in law was not able to use it
As unscientific as this was I couldn't dispute the results. Happy motoring!
Bruce

1 - 20 of 21 Posts