BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into adding a laser jammer-- Blinder M25 at this point. I know some of you guys have the M45, but if you don't have a switch to kill brake lights why bother with the rear jammer? Also, I've never been painted going away. Thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Laser...

I'm looking into adding a laser jammer-- Blinder M25 at this point. I know some of you guys have the M45, but if you don't have a switch to kill brake lights why bother with the rear jammer? Also, I've never been painted going away. Thoughts?
There is tons of info on radar positioning, front, back, rear and side...but as a former radar operator for military uses, get a good RADAR detector for front and rear. For laser, you need a jammer in the FRONT, specifically mounted just below the front center of the grill or license plate. A radar detector mounted behind a grill or behind a plastic bumper will detect radar, but a laser JAMMER must be positioned so that it receives the laser beam unobstructed from the source in order to jam it back to the gun.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
From what I've read, cops don't usually target you from the rear with laser. I've also read that rear jammers are not as effective for some reason (maybe because of the limited sites for mounting).

I ordered a Laser Interceptor (front coverage) from the GB on the Mazda forums and I'm still waiting for it. It should be awesome when I get it installed though. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i've got two words for you...

double front...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read, cops don't usually target you from the rear with laser. I've also read that rear jammers are not as effective for some reason (maybe because of the limited sites for mounting).

I ordered a Laser Interceptor (front coverage) from the GB on the Mazda forums and I'm still waiting for it. It should be awesome when I get it installed though. :M5launch:
Yeah, I've never been targeted from behind with LIDAR so I can't see a good reason to spend the extra coin on the M45. I was in that LI group buy, but then decided I wasn't comfortable with what I perceived to be a bait-and-switch. I hope it works out for you. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've got two words for you...

double front...
Hey Robert-- what's up, man?! You still playin' in the sand? I could have used that Lidatek last July when I got nabbed by Johnny Law on the Mass Pike-- slowed down to 83. Still, thanks a to a good line of BS I was able to talk my way out of it in court. :blabla:

I'm looking at getting the Blinder M25 installed, which does have 2 front transponders.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah, I've never been targeted from behind with LIDAR so I can't see a good reason to spend the extra coin on the M45. I was in that LI group buy, but then decided I wasn't comfortable with what I perceived to be a bait-and-switch. I hope it works out for you. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm going to try to get my money back today. I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems very fishy (especially since it's gotten to be over 20 pages of arguing). A local shop here in Greenville carries the Blinder M25, so I'm probably just going to go for that.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Personally, I don't get the whole laser jammer thing. I mean...first of all, they're illegal. 2nd, if a cop is sitting there targeting speeders, and he sees you coming at him at 120mph, and hits you with the laser, and what...*nothing* happens? If I were him, I'd immediately pull you over, write the ticket anyway, and probably find the jammer. Unless I'm missing something...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, I don't get the whole laser jammer thing. I mean...first of all, they're illegal. 2nd, if a cop is sitting there targeting speeders, and he sees you coming at him at 120mph, and hits you with the laser, and what...*nothing* happens? If I were him, I'd immediately pull you over, write the ticket anyway, and probably find the jammer. Unless I'm missing something...
In most states they are not illegal. And sure, if the cop has a point of reference (like a huge speed differential to other cars) then you're toast. But a measurement taken at 2000 Ft is going to give you time to slow down, and he'll not be able to confirm your speed.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
In most states they are not illegal. And sure, if the cop has a point of reference (like a huge speed differential to other cars) then you're toast. But a measurement taken at 2000 Ft is going to give you time to slow down, and he'll not be able to confirm your speed.
>>>

Just playing devil's advocate here...because I'd love to get a jammer if I thought they'd work...but they're illegal in CA, and if a cop, who's trained to catch speeders and is no dummy, sees you doing 120mph, he pretty much *knows* you're flying, and I suspect you'd be screwed.:dunno:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the M25 and it works great. Tested it out with 3 different brand laser guns and none of them could get a reading. The idea behind it is to give you warning(the alarm sounds), giving you time to slow down, and then you turn off the jammer so the cop gets a reading. From a distance it sometimes takes a while to get an accurate reading even when the car does not have a jammer. However, if you are going 120 past a cop there is a good chance you are getting a ticket for something even if he doesnt get a reading. So when used properly it will definatly help much better than a laser detector. On top of that, going about 50mph, the laser jammer alarm goes off about 5-8 seconds before the laser detector in my Valentine One.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
190 Posts
The real benefit is when your doing 80 or 85 and get targeted and have a few seconds
to slow down before passing the cop at say 65 or 70. This is where the M25 *may* save you.

I have an M25 on my 03 beast. I've been targeted on I90 more than once
and recently on Rt 17 outside Binghamton. In most cases, the trooper is
sitting in the median 500 - 700 ft up the road. I'm not convinced that is
is as good as the LPP ( Laser Park Pro ) or LI ( Laser Interceptor ). These
units are more powerful ( and more expensive ) but appear from their
reviews to work better.

Some simple things make a difference. If you don't have to use a front
plate, then remove it. Cops usually use the front plate for a target. Dark
color cars are harder to tag then light colored cars etc. Shinny grills make
nice laser targets etc. I swapped out my chrome kidney's for back ones.

In the end it's a question of how much you want to pay for countermeasures.
I have a V1 and an M25. I'm thinking of upgrading
to an LPP single head or LI dual. I figure if it saves me one or two
tickets it's well worth the money. I'm don't regularly drive 120, but I
do often drive 80 or 85. No tickets so far...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the M25 and it works great. Tested it out with 3 different brand laser guns and none of them could get a reading. The idea behind it is to give you warning(the alarm sounds), giving you time to slow down, and then you turn off the jammer so the cop gets a reading. From a distance it sometimes takes a while to get an accurate reading even when the car does not have a jammer. However, if you are going 120 past a cop there is a good chance you are getting a ticket for something even if he doesnt get a reading. So when used properly it will definatly help much better than a laser detector. On top of that, going about 50mph, the laser jammer alarm goes off about 5-8 seconds before the laser detector in my Valentine One.
Did you happen to use an LTI Ultralyte ? These are the guns used in my
area in upstate NY.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The real benefit is when your doing 80 or 85 and get targeted and have a few seconds
to slow down before passing the cop at say 65 or 70. This is where the M25 *may* save you.

I have an M25 on my 03 beast. I've been targeted on I90 more than once
and recently on Rt 17 outside Binghamton. In most cases, the trooper is
sitting in the median 500 - 700 ft up the road. I'm not convinced that is
is as good as the LPP ( Laser Park Pro ) or LI ( Laser Interceptor ). These
units are more powerful ( and more expensive ) but appear from their
reviews to work better.

Some simple things make a difference. If you don't have to use a front
plate, then remove it. Cops usually use the front plate for a target. Dark
color cars are harder to tag then light colored cars etc. Shinny grills make
nice laser targets etc. I swapped out my chrome kidney's for back ones.

In the end it's a question of how much you want to pay for countermeasures.
I have a V1 and an M25. I'm thinking of upgrading
to an LPP single head or LI dual. I figure if it saves me one or two
tickets it's well worth the money. I'm don't regularly drive 120, but I
do often drive 80 or 85. No tickets so far...
If you have a front plate AND a laser jammer, and assuming you've mounted the receiver in front of the lower grill, you're better served to leave the plate on so that the plate is painted first giving you ample warning. With no plate to aim at, they will shoot for the grill or the lights, especially if you drive with your fogs on. Remember, unlike radar, the spread on a laser beam is virtually nil at almost any distance.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you have a front plate AND a laser jammer, and assuming you've mounted the receiver in front of the lower grill, you're better served to leave the plate on so that the plate is painted first giving you ample warning. With no plate to aim at, they will shoot for the grill or the lights, especially if you drive with your fogs on. Remember, unlike radar, the spread on a laser beam is virtually nil at almost any distance.
Well, I have to say from what I read that's pretty bad advice. At 1000 ft the lidar beam width is about 1 meter. Lidar range goes as the fourth root of target crossection-- a license plate is a pretty huge target, and is gonna reflect a lot of energy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Laser beam vs. radar...

Well, I have to say from what I read that's pretty bad advice. At 1000 ft the lidar beam width is about 1 meter. Lidar range goes as the fourth root of target crossection-- a license plate is a pretty huge target, and is gonna reflect a lot of energy.
Doug, you missed the point entirely. First and foremost, a radar beam is nowhere as collimated as a laser beam which is why your radar receiver picks up so many false positives and you'll never get one on your laser jammer. Secondly, license plates, especially here in NJ, are made to be highly reflective and specifically have at least 2 large circular, state seal holograms that are there just for that purpose... to reflect back the strongest signal possible. This isn't a trick question, but if you know exactly where the laser beam is going to be aimed first, where would you place your laser beam detector?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Doug, you missed the point entirely. First and foremost, a radar beam is nowhere as collimated as a laser beam which is why your radar receiver picks up so many false positives and you'll never get one on your laser jammer. Secondly, license plates, especially here in NJ, are made to be highly reflective and specifically have at least 2 large circular, state seal holograms that are there just for that purpose... to reflect back the strongest signal possible. This isn't a trick question, but if you know exactly where the laser beam is going to be aimed first, where would you place your laser beam detector?
It is true that the laser beam is about 3 feet in diameter from 1000 feet away. Two jammer heads can be positioned so that they are always within the 3 foot diameter of the beam regardless of where it is aimed.

Granted, your strategy is pretty smart, but it's always better to have the jammer heads mounted in positions that cover as much of the front of the car as possible, if not all of it (just in case the cop decides to aim somewhere else).

Besides, front plates are ugly. :hihihi:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can see how you might think that, but I understood perfectly what you were saying-- I just don't necessarily agree w/ the strategy. You're counting on not being able to punch through given that your way provides max return signal. With no plate, and well-placed jamming heads it seems to me the 1 meter radius is covered-- I could be wrong though. My school of thought is in the "less is more" strategy. I will be testing this when I get the unit installed. In fact, I can even make a test run w/ my plate stuck on the front using the usual double-stick tape I am so fond of at inspection time. :)

Regarding beam collimation, of course that's true.... never any question there. But laser does indeed spread out, albeit to a much lesser degree than RF.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is true that the laser beam is about 3 feet in diameter from 1000 feet away. Two jammer heads can be positioned so that they are always within the 3 foot diameter of the beam regardless of where it is aimed.

Granted, your strategy is pretty smart, but it's always better to have the jammer heads mounted in positions that cover as much of the front of the car as possible, if not all of it (just in case the cop decides to aim somewhere else).

Besides, front plates are ugly. :hihihi:
Yeah, no argument here...front plates, they're downright fugly. But here in NJ, it's reason enough to get stopped and the only ticket i've received in the past 7 years was from this pissant Ramsey cop that gave me the ticket for no front plate when i hadn't even owned the car for more than a couple of days.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One other tip...

Twice while driving, i was painted with laser, once while I was in the right lane and once in the middle and both times I was actually cruising BELOW the speed limit and there were cars all around me. I may be wrong, but I think the reason was that I had my angel eyes and fogs on and apparently most cops in NJ recognize that as a sign of a BMW and take aim. Now if I'm truckin' the lights stay off!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts