BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's part 1:

Rear sensors now installed.

Wires now routed inside the trunk.
Wires currently coiled and stowed behind back seat..

Next step:

1) Install Alpine backup camera.
Route rear sensor wires & backup camera wires to center console.

2) Install Front sensors.
Route front sensor wires through firewall - to center console.

3) Install head module.
4) Install power switch somewhere on dash.
5) Install parking assist / jammer switch.
6) Hook up power and ground wires.

Whew!

This is basically a 4 day job, so day 1 is done.
I will update as progress is made.

Attachments

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 cookies per mile my friend! : )

Actually, I use the cookie container to put all the screws I have removed from the car.
The white empty container makes it easy for me to find all the screws I have removed when its time to reinstall them all back in again.

I see that your M6 uses an alternative fuel source (chocolate chip cookies). Small tank of cookies - so how many cookies per mile Dan?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the follow up inquiry Mark.

I apologize as I have nothing new to report. FYI, my wife and I just came back from an 11 day vacation.

We went to Virginia Beach, VA to visit my brother and sister in law; then we all went to Washington DC to do some sightseeing, then we went to Raleigh North Carolina to visit my wife's side of the family. We just got back to Seattle late last night.

It will be sunny here in Seattle today so I am going out for a drive as I miss my beast badly.

I plan on doing a little bit of work on it tomorrow and will post updates.

Here's a photo of our vacation for sharing.

You all have a great weekend!

It's coming up on 2 weeks since the first installment of the installation saga Dan. Any progress to report?

Attachments

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update on laser jammer installation

Here you go for sharing.

I worked on my beast for 11 hours last Sunday. Whew! I was dead tired...

I finally completely finished installing my back up camera. I will post that on a separate thread.
Very happy with this back up camera mod.

Laser interceptor update:

1) I routed the wires from the rear all the way to driver side under dash panel.

I had to remove the back seat, the door sill, the hood release panel and driver side under dash panel to route the cables.
I protected the cables with 3M / BMW cloth wrap.

On cables going beside hood release, I protected the cables with plastic cable wrap to eliminate possibility of wire chaffing condition.
This is the same cable protection material we use on Boeing airplanes.

2) I installed the LI head unit on the driver side under dash panel.
I figured this is the best location for it so that the speaker is directed towards the driver for maximum speaker volume.

3) I installed the power switch and the PA/Jam switch on the gear shift panel.
I thought its the best location for it for easy driver control of the switches.

As you can see, I messed up on proper spacing of the switches. Dang!
The PA Jam switch (2nd one from the bottom) should be a little bit lower for even spacing.

I'm anal about my work so most likely, I will order a new panel, re-drill the holes and correct my mistake on proper spacing of switches.

Next step is to mount the front laser sensors, route the wires through engine firewall, finish all the connection and finish everything up.

Wife and I are going out for a long drive this weekend so I wont get to this again for another couple of weeks....

See photos below for sharing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
nice job Dan , that's kindda complicated !! isn't it ?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's not that complicated. Its not hard to do either.

It just takes time trying to figure out how to properly remove all the trims and access panels without damaging it, and where to safely route all the wires.

Fish tape reel helps a lot pushing the wires through grommets and crevices.

That's why I'm posting here for sharing. So that the next guy here that wants to do this mod too will have all the info they need to easily do this mod.

nice job Dan , that's kindda complicated !! isn't it ?

·
Registered
456 Posts
WhatTheHeck
I am VERY impressed with your attention to detail. You seemed to have thought out even the smallest of details.
What are the functions of each of the buttons?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice. Quality work as usual. I like your location choice for those round buttons on the shifter panel. Looking at the pictures, It's making me feel like my car is missing some OEM options ;).

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi SmokinJoe.

Thank you for the kind words.

Just like on anything, I always first come up with a plan.
Just like a battle, a plan is important before we attack.

So before I do anywork, in my head, I start thinking on how to attack the project.THen I write it down on paper to take with me when I start doing my project. (Where to route wires for shortest run, safely run the wires, eliminate any possibility of chaffing condition, avoid noise /EMI by running the cables separately from main cable runs. etc.)

This is the main reason I do my own electrical mods, as once all the panels are back on and covered up - I dont know what kind of workmanship the installer has done to the installation of all the wiring and power.

I installed car stereos when I was in high school and college.
I am an electrical engineer by trade.
I work on Boeing airplanes where safety is of utmost important, so I am anal about ensuring everything is installed properly, correctly and safely.

Re: switch functions = 1 is laser jammer power switch, the one up above it is Parking Assist / Jammer mode switch.

WhatTheHeck
I am VERY impressed with your attention to detail. You seemed to have thought out even the smallest of details.
What are the functions of each of the buttons?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
This is the main reason I do my own electrical mods, as once all the panels are back on and covered up - I dont know what kind of workmanship the installer has done to the installation of all the wiring and power.
I feel the same way.
Even if I could trust the installer, I would do most installs myself -- I enjoy the process.

I installed car stereos when I was in high school and college.
I am an electrical engineer by trade.
I have the same background, but only installed car stereos as a hobby for myself and friends.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Same here. Personal satisfaction / sense of pride of workmanship, and I do enjoy the process as well.

Happy to hear we have the same background Clyde.
As always, thanks for all your help and very informative posts.

I feel the same way.
Even if I could trust the installer, I would do most installs myself -- I enjoy the process.

I have the same background, but only installed car stereos as a hobby for myself and friends.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got this mod done! Whew!

I took the day off yesterday, wasnt feeling well.

Just sitting in my recliner at home watching TIVO, got bored so I decided to work on my car.

8 hours later - this mod is finally done. Whew! Took 4 weekends to complete the job.

I will create a DIY write up, some photos and a short video sometime this weekend.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts