·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Do you think this is a good idea for the E60?

http://www.e46m3performance.com/installs/pedal/index.htm

Will it fit the new M5? Combine it with a metal gas pedal and I think it's great.

What do you think? :flag:
Nice find Ahsok. I'd never really thought about it as I've never even driven an SMG car yet. It makes perfect sense and anyone who has agressively driven a go-kart will immediately recognize the benefits.

Surprising that BMW didn't deal with this at the factory. You've gotta think that the F1 team uses a similar approach?

I'm sure the aftermarket guys will follow up the M3 product with one specifically for the M5. In any case it will look great.

Go for it! :cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
It will be my first mod along with hard wiring my Valentine 1. I hope Gustave has a pedal ready by the time I get my M5.

I have a GPS P7 brake pedal on my M3 and have found that left foot braking and SMG are made for each other.

The workmanship on the brake pedal for the M3 is second to none.

·
Registered
955 Posts
lol, i think there's a thread way way back about what's the first mod we'll put into our E60 M5.

and this mod was what i said i'll do first to my car! :flag:

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
i think it looks like a brake pedal for a truck...
btw i hate big or wide brake pedals, no feel and respones. but just mho...
why wouldn't you get feel and responses out of a bigger brake pedal? the pedal is essentially connected to the same position as the original brake pedal would.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
why wouldn't you get feel and responses out of a bigger brake pedal? the pedal is essentially connected to the same position as the original brake pedal would.
did you ever drive the same car with manual and automatic trans or smg?
i thnik most cars with automatic trans have also wide prake pedals. and each time i hade less feeling and "control". but that are just my impressions...

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
did you ever drive the same car with manual and automatic trans or smg?
i thnik most cars with automatic trans have also wide prake pedals. and each time i hade less feeling and "control". but that are just my impressions...
um..that's strange. becasue technically, the brake pedal feel should all be the same on the same car regardless of the transmission and the size of the pedal. maybe i am missing something here.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
um..that's strange. becasue technically, the brake pedal feel should all be the same on the same car regardless of the transmission and the size of the pedal. maybe i am missing something here.
i know... every car is designed to brake with your right foot. maybe it is the position of my shoe or leg. don't know...

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
i know... every car is designed to brake with your right foot. maybe it is the position of my shoe or leg. don't know...
ya, but since there's 2 pedals in a SMG car, and we all happens to have a pair of foot, doesn't it make a lot of sense to use one foot for each pedeal ;)

anyway, i think this will be one of the aftermarket part i'll put onto my car. time for me to pratice some left foot braking skill! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
ya, but since there's 2 pedals in a SMG car, and we all happens to have a pair of foot, doesn't it make a lot of sense to use one foot for each pedeal ;)

anyway, i think this will be one of the aftermarket part i'll put onto my car. time for me to pratice some left foot braking skill! :M5thumbs:
sorry, but in theory your left foot is just for using the clutch and nothing else.
sometime i brake with left, just for fun, but i have absolutely no feeling braking with my left foot. and even on the track i don't think that you will be faster... just mho

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
sorry, but in theory your left foot is just for using the clutch and nothing else.
sometime i brake with left, just for fun, but i have absolutely no feeling braking with my left foot. and even on the track i don't think that you will be faster... just mho
i think it largely depends on people. not everyone go faster using left foot for braking.

in the end, if left foot braking isn't good for track driving, i am sure there won't be any left foot braker in F1 isn't it. :blink:

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
i think it largely depends on people. not everyone go faster using left foot for braking.

in the end, if left foot braking isn't good for track driving, i am sure there won't be any left foot braker in F1 isn't it. :blink:
yes it depends on people and i did not say that it is not good for professional track driving such as f1 with monoposti. but for you and me and 99.99% of all drivers it makes absolutely no sense imho...

and you cannot compare f1 with normal street cars. for example michael schumacher brakes with left same as rubi... but they use braking not only as you might think. schumacher brakes and accelerates in fast s-curves to stabilize the car and not to get slower...
i don't think that you do that on legal roads :hihi:

·
Registered
955 Posts
9852147 said:
you cannot compare f1 with normal street cars. for example michael schumacher brakes with left same as rubi... but they use braking not only as you might think. schumacher brakes and accelerates in fast s-curves to stabilize the car and not to get slower...
i don't think that you do that on legal roads :hihi:
i agree, left foot braking is a technik developed for track, to make the car more balance through corners. and that's my intention for such mod on M5, just so it's i can left foot brake on track. besides, even with such mod, i can stilll always choose to use either foot for braking. although i don't see why i should use my right food if i am used to brake with my left foot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
tifosi said:
i agree, left foot braking is a technik developed for track, to make the car more balance through corners. and that's my intention for such mod on M5, just so it's i can left foot brake on track. besides, even with such mod, i can stilll always choose to use either foot for braking. although i don't see why i should use my right food if i am used to brake with my left foot.
as i said it is jus mho...

and you are used to it? no problems at switching from braking to acceleration? wow, impressive... i couldn't do that. would make knots in my legs ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts