BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new laptop, but can't decide on whether or not to get a PowerBook 15 inch laptop or a PC notebook. I already have a Dell desktop, so should I stick with the same OS in my laptop?

Here's what I'm looking to do:

-surf the web
-email
-word processor
-organize pictures
-music

I'm also considering learning some elementary programming. So what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

ALX

PS. Budget is about US$2,500. Could be more if warranted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If creative activity is the main thing what you are planning to do besides text editing, PowerBook is the right thing to choose. iLife application suite is probably all you need for creative life and it is already preinstalled.

You can’t really share the operating systems between Apple and Dell unless you plan to run Linux/Unix. But as Apple’s OS-X is probably the best end-user operating system on the market today, you soon find that idea bit silly.

My advice: go for powerbook.
:cheers:

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what I can see in your post, it doesn't seem that you need the laptop for tasks that demand too much from a computer. I would therefore be most focused on battery capacity, and linking it with your desktop, if you find this important, and don't like/know Linux. My advice is that if a Powerbook doesn't have the same battery capacity as a Centrino processor, I would choose a PC.

The fastest Centrino's are (almost) on the same level as the fastest P4's, and they also offer some very good graphics cards, so if you do decide that you need the laptop for heavy tasks, I would be very impressed with the Powerbook if it's better than a good Centrino PC.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My wife recently switched from a Dell PC to a Power Mac G5. It took her a little while to get used to the Apple. She works a lot with heavy duty graphics and the Mac is strong at that. Overall she says it has been a positive experience. She got the big high definition display and it is awesome.

However there have been some bumps relevant to your choice:

1) Not all websites work properly using the Safari browser.
2) I tried to setup our home network to share files with my laptop PC and her Powermac and was unsuccessful. I called Apple, Microsoft and Linksys to try and get help but with my limited technical abilities I couldn't get it to work.

Bottom line. If you really like the Apple (design, operating system, wow factor etc.) go for it - you are paying a premium for it. You can get more processing power, more memory, and a better display for the same money if you go with a PC.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice everyone. On the pc side of things, I've been looking at the Sony Vaio S series vs. the Apple 15inch Powerbook. Sony is the only pc laptop that approaches, in my estimation, the slick look of the Powerbooks. The look factor aside, the sony has better battery life or more battery options than the PowerBook.

So the practical side of me says (and you all seem in line here on this) get the Sony, and the kid in me says get the Powerbook- sort of feels like choosing between a 540 sportwagon and the M5. LOL. (I got the M5 ;) )

Sony seems to be trying to be like Apple in the sense that they bundle their computers with software that is catering to managing music and pictures etc.

So have any of you had experience with both and how well does the Sony software do vs. the Apple stuff (iLife)? Also, I've heard the Powerbooks tend to have heat issues- the bottoms get hot to very hot when used for longer periods. Anything like that on the Sony/PC side?

THanks,

ALX

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the 17 PB and it is fantastic. In my office we have a Dell that we run specific PC programs on and I can access it from my Mac via Remote Desktop. So I have a pc on my Mac as well. I can access the PC from anywhere in the world. I also have virtual PC on my mac so I can run any PC program I want albeit a bit slower.

It is very easy to set up remote desktop and works flawlessly.

If you have Safari issues just run IE and you will have no problems. Safari is a slick browser but it does have some limitations that I am sure Mac will address in the future.

Jordan

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
a Vaio is probably the best PC laptop at the moment, but the difference really depends on taste. both are great machines and for what you needed it both can cope easily. powerbooks have a pretty good battery life, they can compare with centrinos easy. but if you do go and get a PC be sure it is a centrino (or to be precise a model with Pentium-M), because the other models have bad battery endurance, and weight more.

either way you should be happy..

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
ycchan said:
eek...don't like Vaio...had one and it broke. I would get Fujitsu or IBM T42 series

what happeded with the Vaio? I have only good experience with it, not so wiht Fujitsu..
T42 IBM is great if you can live with the "old school" laptop look. they actually havent done anything to the look for like a decade. not a bad thing when everything works, but not very trendy especially compared to Mac.. But technologically it is excellent, depends on different configurations on how it compares to Vaio´s. not much in it either ways though...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Chet is mostly correct. If networking between the platforms is of importance, be sure that your windows is 2000 or XP. The mac os does not like to network with anything earlier. As for browsers- Chet is right- Safari does not work with everything, but there is a clunky version of Internet Explorer that comes with the Mac OS that will work on most sites Safari does not- and if that does not work, there is a new browser, thats free of charge, called Firefox. Check it out at www.versiontracker.com

The problem I see with the powerbook is that its an old design at this point (internally). They have had tremendous problems getting a G5 laptop out the door. The G5 architecture is a real improvement over the G4 and its not just that the G5 chip is faster. Its the entire pipeline. Its so much more robust.

I use both Mac and Windows Xp and I can tell you that for general fun stuff I much prefer the mac. I also know people who prefer windows. I would love to tell you to get a powerbook- but right, now I cant. The imac G4 is so much less expensive and it will deliver you about 85% of the performance of the G4 powerbook. The downside is the keyboard, its not as solid feeling.

So here is my suggested strategy if you want to get a Powerbook : wait. The G5 powerbook is anywhere from 4 months to a year away depending on whom you believe, but when it comes out you will regret paying the premium for a G4 powerbook. The ibook G4 is basically a detuned powerbook G4 at this point in time. As the market will figure this out, and pick it for its lower price, I think Apple knows it has to get that G5 powerbook out. Or maybe you should look at the new imac G5- this thing is a good deal and doesnt take up much space. Supplies are tight right now though.

Just my 2 cents. I'm waiting to update my 2 year old PB G4 12" (800mhz G4). Every time I go try the 1.3 PB 12" in the store, I am disappointed that the speed does not seem much faster. Its because the pipeline is not much faster and the hard drive is still slow. If I were doing computing heavy tasks, it would be one thing, but Im doing what you are talking about.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Macs are very easy to use. I also think windows has become easy too. I think at this point many of the differences are window dressing. I just like the tightness of integration of many of the mac programs- and it does seem a little more stable.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Macs are very easy to use. I also think windows has become easy too. I think at this point many of the differences are window dressing. I just like the tightness of integration of many of the mac programs- and it does seem a little more stable.
Totally agree on that.. OS X is much more stable and less prone to attacks from virus etc. than win XP...

·
Registered
487 Posts
What ever you get, use Mozilla Firefox, http://www.mozilla.org for internet browsing. Far better than Internet Explorer and Safari. Even the creators of internet explorer use firefox. Its a small program compared to IE and everyone I've recomended it to, whether computer savy or not has loved it.

Good luck

PS. I have a toshiba Satellite P25 desktop replacement laptop,
p4 2.8 with HT
256 ram
80 gB hard drive
17" wide screen
DVD burner
XP pro, which I really like once I got to know how to use it the way i wanted

It's never failed me, I've had it for a year and would definatly buy another toshiba.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Opera was available for the mac and I believe it still is. I like Firefox too, but in my own tests on G4s and G5s I find I prefer Safari. However, not by much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts