BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently in the process of getting a driveshaft, cv joint, differential bushings, and new differential seals replaced. I have an aftermarket warranty (through aaautowarranty - the provider is warranty america), which will cover everything except for the bushings (wear and tear). However, there is a discrepancy with the labor covered. Concerning labor reimbursement, the contract states: "Labor will be authorized based on a nationally recognized labor manual." After a conversation with one of their adjusters today, they informed me their labor rate sources are AllData and Motors Red (anyone have access to these?), which I was told are specific to make and model (even M5s). According to the warranty company my dealer (my service advisor has been excellent as well as the tech working on the car - point being, I trust them - maybe thats not good?) has stated that the labor required for the driveshaft is 4.5 hours (warranty will pay for 4.2) and 6 hours for the differential seals (warranty will pay for 3.5). What they didn't mention is the labor for the CV joint, which I assume is being lumped in with the differential seals - will check tomorrow. I know I will have to pay some labor for the bushings, but my tech said those will take no time at all since everything will already be dropped for the differential seals. Anyway, just wanted to check with you experts to see if this sounded right. I feel like I'm nickel and diming here, but I just like knowing this are being handled correctly. Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
when it comes to warranty companies, some are great and pay the time, other adjust to their liking I have found. I will have access to Mitchell's labor guide tomorrow morning as the program is ip coded. Don't use Alldata as it has sucky wiring diagrams. Usually, there are two labor times, one is what is paid out and the other is the real time it can get done in a perfect world. This isn't always the place we live in. But it sounds like that is what the warranty company is wanting to pay the labor rate at. They are not considering the time is takes to remove rusted frozen nuts and bolts without breaking them or having to cut them out and replace them. I hop e this answers some of your questions.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the 6 hours for differential seal seems to high especialy when all other items have been removed. i think 6 hours is with the removal of everithing else. which is removed in the 4.5 to do driveshaft. check with the servise advisor on this.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I was thinking... my first question tomorrow. I want to get my baby back on the road... in preparation for Feb. 22 eh Cantres????

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm wondering why they aren't covering the bushings? Or more specifically, why they would cover the seals but not the bushings. Aren't all of those parts related to the "mechanical breakdown" and therefore covered?

·
Registered
723 Posts
you don't need to drop the differential to change the seals.

Of course since you also want to change the bushings on the diff also, they have to drop it.

What's the underlying problem prompting you to change all this stuff? It's very atypical for an M5 to need these repairs. (other than the output seals on the diff.)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The front differential bushings collapsed, knocking my driveshaft out of alignment, causing damage to the driveshaft/ cv joint. Seals are just worn out and needed to be replaced...

·
Registered
147 Posts
The front differential bushings collapsed, knocking my driveshaft out of alignment, causing damage to the driveshaft/ cv joint. Seals are just worn out and needed to be replaced...
Okay, now that's why I'm confused by the denial of the bushings but the willingness to pay for the seals. Just to be clear, I think they should cover both, and a "wear and tear" denial on the bushings sounds weasily to me. "Bushings" aren't on the list of items that aren't covered, and since they "collapsed" (which sounds like a failure to me) they should be covered.

I'm asking because I, like a number of members here, have this warranty and any evidence of nickel and diming makes me nervous. I know you're ticked about the labor rate, but are you cool with the coverage denial on the bushings?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The dealer should not be charging you more hours than the alldata hours.

Have you asked the dealer to justify their numbers???

It isn't nickel and dime... Just because you can afford stuff doesn't mean you enjoy getting bent over. Sometimes people at high end shops seem 'embarrassed' to ask tough questions on costs, etc. So silly

A

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bushings are only $22 so not too worried about that... but I do see your point. Sets a bad precedent. When I asked how BMW justifies their rate, my tech gave me the print out that shows the BMW North America labor rates for all the work being done. So what it comes down to is two different companies (BMW and my warranty co) justifying their rates with two different sources. Looks to be a stalemate...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, now that's why I'm confused by the denial of the bushings but the willingness to pay for the seals. Just to be clear, I think they should cover both, and a "wear and tear" denial on the bushings sounds weasily to me. "Bushings" aren't on the list of items that aren't covered, and since they "collapsed" (which sounds like a failure to me) they should be covered.

I'm asking because I, like a number of members here, have this warranty and any evidence of nickel and diming makes me nervous. I know you're ticked about the labor rate, but are you cool with the coverage denial on the bushings?
Which warranty do you have? I have the platinum with gps and emmissions coverage...

·
Registered
147 Posts
That may be the difference. I have the Warranty America UVP Bumper-to-Bumper with GPS and emissions. It covers everything except... blah, blah, blah. The Warranty America Platinum is a plan that covers all of the following... blah, blah, blah. Bushings are not excluded in the UVP Warranty but are not included in the Platinum Plan (at least for the plans that I reviewed on aaautowarranty's site).

I was concerned that Warranty America was arguing that the bushings were not covered not because they aren't excluded, but because the damage resulted from "wear and tear."

As it is, it sounds like the Platinum Plan is working out pretty good if you are simply being stuck with $22 bushings, that's not too bad, assuming of course you get your labor rate issue worked out. I'd be tempted to put the shop on the phone with Warranty America and say "you guys work it out but I'm not paying anything." Good luck and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The bushings are only $22 so not too worried about that... but I do see your point. Sets a bad precedent. When I asked how BMW justifies their rate, my tech gave me the print out that shows the BMW North America labor rates for all the work being done. So what it comes down to is two different companies (BMW and my warranty co) justifying their rates with two different sources. Looks to be a stalemate...
BMW can't just make up their own rates. Ask them to justify their sources. I always though BMW uses mitchel published data as well.

Push comes to shove, tell the warranty company to tow the car to a shop that will do it for their times....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts