BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the Los Angeles Auto show and it was just a waste of time. BMW did not have the new M5, even though there will be one at Detroit. All the other BMW's i've seen before, and the other auto makers didn't bring anything out that spectacular.

So, if you went to the LA show last year I wouldn't be in any hurry to attend this one. Just my 2 cents, Greer.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
greer said:
I just came back from the Los Angeles Auto show and it was just a waste of time. BMW did not have the new M5, even though there will be one at Detroit. All the other BMW's i've seen before, and the other auto makers didn't bring anything out that spectacular.

So, if you went to the LA show last year I wouldn't be in any hurry to attend this one. Just my 2 cents, Greer.
Yeah, the San Francisco car show, which is usually a few weeks from now, is the same way. You never get to see the cars you've already been reading about. When I went in 2000, the E39 M5 and the 996 Porsche Turbo were both no-shows. And you usually can't find a knowledgeable factory representative, or even a senior official from the North America folks. Just local dealer types who would just as soon make up an answer as tell you they don't know. Makes me crazy - so I don't go any more.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The SF Auto Show is a fairly big 'dealer' show, but it doesn't get a lot of direct support from the manufacturers. You've got to go to LA or Detroit (or Essen...) to catch any big news. Mercedes did have an SLR and an SL65 at the SF show.

The San Jose Auto Show is apparently run by Motor Trend now, I spent an hour over there the other day. Just an hour. A lot of really boring trucks.

No new M5, no SRT8, no SLK55, no SL65, no new Z06, no new Infiniti M45, no F430, no R32, there was a 'preview' version of the new Lexus GS, and a Ford GT (yum) up on a turntable (rats.) Not even a Mustang GT (not that I really care - the new Mustang's all-hard-plastic interior is about the worst thing I've seen in years.)

A couple new Bentleys (****, that Continental coupe is an ugly thing, the Audi origins are far too clear, Bentleys should not have Audi-size nose overhangs) and various other stuff locked away behind ropes.

B

·
0 Posts
The SF Auto Show is pretty much a complete waste of time in my opinion. You can see more interesting cars by driving up and down Stevens Creek and walking into the dealer showrooms. Auto enthusiasts should only consider the large international shows if they want to see anything interesting.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Daniel,

I see your point, but to me, something is better than nothing. Every year, I attend the Portland International Auto Show, which really isn't that great. They have had AMG cars, M3 and M5's, Audi RS cars, 911 Turbo, etc. They usually have a decent Italian showing, because Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo is on our backyard, and is a great Ferrari dealership. Last year they had an Enzo showing, along with I beleive a 575 and 360. Just being around cars is worth the price of admission for me. I get excited getting in an STi or S4. Maybe I'm just different, who knows.

What really gets me going is the people abuse the cars being shown. Crawling around the cars, turning up stereos to extreme levels, etc. And my other complaint is the amount of clueless people who attend.

I suggest that this year when you go to the Auto Show (if you do), go with a different attitude. Don't run through all the different makes looking for that Carrera GT, e60 M5, etc. Rather, take your time, look at everything, and think about what the different companies have done. Respect every car for what it is. I enjoy myself much more when I do this.

Travis

B

·
0 Posts
M5Kid said:
get excited getting in an STi or S4. Maybe I'm just different, who knows.

What really gets me going is the people abuse the cars being shown. Crawling around the cars, turning up stereos to extreme levels, etc. And my other complaint is the amount of clueless people who attend.
I see your point, and also am shocked at how some people lack any respect for something that does not belong to them.

I find that if I can visit a car dealer to see the same cars that are at a show, then I prefer the dealer, as I can spend much more time in a less crowded environment, and then take the car for a test-drive if I am so inclined. Car shows are a fun outing, but for me they seem like a waste of time, unless I can see something that is pretty rare.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm like M5Kid, I just enjoy being around the cars and really hate going to dealerships ( I have not bought a car from a dealer directly in 15 years). And, I have been going to the SF Auto Show, which varies in quality from year to year, for 11 years, starting when I first dated my wife and we have yet to miss a single show. I am very excited about taking my new son to the show as well next year and getting him addicted to BMW's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just got back from the Los Angeles International Auto Show and I too was very disappointed in mot seeing the new E60 M5. But reading about the possibility of a cluch in the North American market may explain why it was not here. The BMW section was not very well presented compared to the job Porshe did! Maybe next year will be better.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The Charlotte auto show was better than expected. It was too early to have the latest but did have a lot of new for '05 cars including the new Corvette & Mustang, a Ford GT (on a platform), a Maybach, an SL65, an SLK55, the Crossfile SRT-6, and several show cars and trucks. But the real suprise was the Chrysler ME-412. That was an awesome show car. BMW didn't have anything real special but was well represented with a 545i, 645i, X3, X5 4.8, M3 convertible, and the new 330Ci performance package with an M3 like front bumper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My friend called me from Detroit today as he was sitting inside the M5. I was thinking of going to the car show today, but it seems the rain dosen't want to let up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
for those that know LA, I saw a new M5 in Pacific Palisades a couple of weeks ago. I was standing on Sunset and it was at a red light facing me. I saw the wide opening in the front but thought "no way, it's a 545 with an aftermarket bumper". It drove past me and sure enough, it was an e60 M5. I followed it up the street (my wife calls me an M5 stalker). There was another guy checking it out too. It had "DST" plates (the other guy said that meant destination?). It had nice wheels with the "blackout" look.

To be honest though, I don't think it's as nice as the e39. When I see an e39 from any angle, I think, "man, that's a hot car". I don't have that reaction with the e60. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I have warmed up to the "new" 7-series.

...josh

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
jkarp said:
There was another guy checking it out too. It had "DST" plates (the other guy said that meant destination?).
...josh
Those are Distributor plates, used by car companies and such.... especially on test cars! Did you see a bunch of computers sitting inside the car?

·
Registered
115 Posts
No computers, just a bunch of trash inside. I've seen pictures of testing cars that are debaged and "wired", but this one wasn't like that at all.

...josh

·
Registered
259 Posts
San Diego's show was decent at best and the E60 M5 was a no show as well... Mercedes had a CL65, SL65, the new CLS but no SLR...It was really nice seeing the Carrera GT, Ford GT, and the Shelby concept :thumbsup: but I was a bit disappointed with Ferrari since they only had one car - - a 612! Why that car? Why not a 575 or even the new 430? Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts