BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently lowered my M5 with KW v3 coilovers and a OEM staggered set-up (stock tire size as well).

I was hoping I could get some direction as to appropriate spacer sizes for both front and rear wheels for my setup. I'm lowered about 1.3-1.5" all around. I've been searching the forum on-and-off this afternoon, but have had trouble finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you want to achieve flush look.. final offset in the rear should be 25 and 20 in the front. et20 in the front wont give you the "flush" look, but you will have an option to add up to 12mm spacer to achieve the look you are after. I dont know what the offset on factory wheels are but ive given you what you need to figure out what size spacers you will need to get.

Also, tires brand will play a role when determining the offset. Michelin PS2 and PSS are a bit fatter around the sidewalls than other tire brands.

Here is an example. I had Hancook v12 with the offset mentioned aboive and when i switched to MPSS using same size tires, i had to raise the rear a bit (still rubs under high speeds bumps, but you can live with it) and raise the front (a lot). In addition, et20 with 12mm spacer = et8 rubbed, so i had to remove the spacer, but i think 5mm spacer will get me where i want to be.

I am actually installing my new wheels on Friday and will be posting pictures after the bimmerfest. My wheels specs are in my signature

·
Registered
798 Posts
Glad this thread came up!

Suspension/Coilovers are the one glaring mod missing on my car...and given how hard the mod bug bites me...I will likely get the KW V3's given how many great things I've read about the ride quality and handling even for the occasional track day.

Sorry to hijack the discussion but if ya'll can spare some wisdom; it'd be much appreciated...

Do ya'll track your beasts at all? Anything left to be desired from these Kw V3's?

Hope you don't mind I will likely bug ya'll a little once I get them installed. TIA :byebye:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I am actually installing my new wheels on Friday and will be posting pictures after the bimmerfest. My wheels specs are in my signature

Your sig says Series 107, but did you mean 710?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to achieve flush look.. final offset in the rear should be 25 and 20 in the front. et20 in the front wont give you the "flush" look, but you will have an option to add up to 12mm spacer to achieve the look you are after. I dont know what the offset on factory wheels are but ive given you what you need to figure out what size spacers you will need to get.

Also, tires brand will play a role when determining the offset. Michelin PS2 and PSS are a bit fatter around the sidewalls than other tire brands.

Here is an example. I had Hancook v12 with the offset mentioned aboive and when i switched to MPSS using same size tires, i had to raise the rear a bit (still rubs under high speeds bumps, but you can live with it) and raise the front (a lot). In addition, et20 with 12mm spacer = et8 rubbed, so i had to remove the spacer, but i think 5mm spacer will get me where i want to be.

Yes, looking for a nice flush look. Thanks for the detailed response! I'm not sure what my offset is currently on the factory wheels, but that will give me a starting point. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Square setup with 3mm front and 5mm rear... You'll thank me later
Great. I read a few places that guys were able to stuff 10mm in the rear, but some were getting rubbing. 5mm sounds right.

I have a staggered setup, no square (albeit I'd like it to be;). Any idea what I could run up front? I was thinking 15mm, but don't want to get into rubbing issues.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great. I read a few places that guys were able to stuff 10mm in the rear, but some were getting rubbing. 5mm sounds right.

I have a staggered setup, no square (albeit I'd like it to be;). Any idea what I could run up front? I was thinking 15mm, but don't want to get into rubbing issues.

Thanks again!
I've actually run 12.5 for a while now. The 15mm I tried rub'd during a hard turn on uneven roads, and steep driveways

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the KW V1 coilovers, and finally got another 2 rear tires to do a square set-up. I have PSS on the wheel, and with a 10mm spacer, the inside tire tread seems to be rubbing on my spring collar. I like my ride height now, as the top of the wheel is on the bottom of the fender. Don't really want to raise the car another inch, and lowering it is not an option. IF I went with a 12mm spacer, I would assume that the front of the tire would rub the fender liner, as right now its pretty close.
Also do you protect the doors with a clear-bra. Seems the tire sticks out about 1.5 inches, and driving would throw rocks.

I wanted to square setup for the performance, and the ability to rotate tires. Otherwise I would run 265 and 285 in the back.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I have KW3 and running 265 PSS on a 19x9" rim with et20 with a 5mm spacer. This is the most I can run with a PSS tire. Other tires have a different footprint and you can potentially go wider in the front.

Currently, i am running a 275 in the rear on a 19x10 rim with et25 & a 5mm spacer. By summer I'll be moving to a 285 cup 2 tire from Michelin.

I am assuming it be very difficult to rotate 19" tires with an aggressive square set-up without modifications.

Some folks have achieved running 285 all around on apex 18" wheels

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you guys for your feedback. This is my fitment issue...10mm on ET22 (OEM Rears) with 275/35-18 PSS rubs my colar, even though after 3 days of reading all threads, this seems to be the right fitment.

IMG_1349[1].JPG

IMG_1351[1].JPG

With 20mm spacers, I have plenty of clearance on the strut, but the wheel is now too far out.

IMG_1362[1].JPG

IMG_1360[1].JPG

IMG_1358[1].JPG

I guess these fitments are ride height dependent, but was hoping to keep the scrub radius close to stock (like running 3mm on OEM suspension only moves the wheel out 1mm) but with a 15mm spacer, the suspension geometry is completely off, and in theory I should be losing steering feel.

Feedback on ride height would be greatly appreciated. Also as a side question, is the distance you move the collar up and down on the threaded body, exactly equal to the ride height change? Or can you move the collar up 1 in, but that only translates into 1/2 in drop?

Notice where I used to run the car, but raised it up what looks like an inch. I highly doubt the car was that low to begin with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm having a similar issue.., but what's even stranger is that it doesn't appear to be equal side to side. The previous owner had 25mm H&R spacers on the front, and with the KWV2s, and the 9.5inch wide style 65s up front, the passenger side wheel is sticking out a surprising amount. Strangely, the drivers side isn't quite as severely sticking out. I'm curious as to what solutions people have been running to make this work.

Is a 15mm spacer enough? Have people removed the helper springs to get the spring perch collar up further?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts