BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on installing a cat-back exhaust system on my 1999 silverstone M5 (stock currently). BMW Kuwait is advising me against it, due to issues with the oxygen sensors which keep malfunctioning. Just for your information the M5 has had a hard time in Kuwait due to the extreme dry heat that we have, the gear shifts are slow, the oxygen sensors keep breaking down and the car is in the shop at least four times a year.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The cat back exhaust should have no effect on the oxygen sensors unless there is a leak where the system meets the stock exhaust pipe (about 1 to 2 inches from where O2 sensors are). If that is sealed properly, you should notice no difference in the O2 issues, at least that is the case here in the northeastern USA. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :M5thumbs:

I had a problem with my Lambda sensors after I changed my exhausts to Millteks. The SES light kept coming on intermittently.

The sensors were changed by the dealer under warranty and the problem has no recurred since then.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Welcome to the board

I think a cat back exhaust wont be enough as you release back pressure but to add fuel and air at the same time along with the computer upgrade inorder to do that. And since we are talking about more air, cooler is a big plus especially in your climate.

I also highly highly recommend you go for the relocated air intake sensor as the current intake sensor is locate near the engine and thus gives warmer than actual temp reading to the ecu.

http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BMI/CTGY/ufm

I say go for it and leave what the dealer said behind. Tell me one dealer in the world that would recommend you to add a modifcation ? :typing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts