BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have slowly been converting my M5 into a trackday focused car. It was never in the best condition and cost less than £3000 when I bought it in 2010. It has sat since 2012 and to get it back to a reasonable condition would not be worth it. It will provide me more enjoyment being thrashed around a race track.

I have found a local place to put a cage in it for trackdays. As fun as these are, a little completion always make the adrenaline flow better. It got me thinking about the Kumho race series.

The car has coilovers since one of the rear shocks was leaking. I have ordered a BBK kit and will have details of this once I have the kit. They are having to make the caliper brackets for me, but have the rest of the kit, a 6pot setup with 330mm discs. This will be available once I have confirmed it fits etc and the price is reasonable too.

I have stripped most of the car out, including the heater matrix. The car is now empty inside, except a huge amount of cabling which I need to try and get rid of what is not required.

The engine will be standard.

more to follow as the progress continues.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone one know what diff can be swapped to increase acceleration? I have found an E32 735i auto from 1992 is 4.13 I think, bit is it a straight swap?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Should be a straight swap. Check that the diff housing is type 210. Also make sure it is an LSD item as that is a useful addition to a track prepped car.

Also calculate the top speed per gear now. 4.13 is very short, perhaps too short.

Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be a straight swap. Check that the diff housing is type 210. Also make sure it is an LSD item as that is a useful addition to a track prepped car.

Also calculate the top speed per gear now. 4.13 is very short, perhaps too short.

Good luck!
Cheers

Top speed is not essential, so will have a look

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Have you considered one of Davidoli's lighter flywheels?

If the brown cancer becomes too invasive on my car I will probably goe the track prepped route as well, although not sure whether I'd allow myself to race again... Racing is like a drug, very addictive!

I'll definitely come and watch you race in 2015, I now live within ear shot of Brands Hatch !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered one of Davidoli's lighter flywheels?

If the brown cancer becomes too invasive on my car I will probably goe the track prepped route as well, although not sure whether I'd allow myself to race again... Racing is like a drug, very addictive!

I'll definitely come and watch you race in 2015, I now live within ear shot of Brands Hatch !
To keep costs down, I will leave the engine alone. The car has coil overs and I have a set of 6 pots for the fronts.

I may put a new race clutch in and a diff if I can find one too. The cage is going in in October

Then it is seat, harness, fire extinguisher and cut off switch and she will be ready.

Glad for the support

1 - 9 of 9 Posts