BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed a wealth of information on the suspension topics. I've found it quite helpful in balancing the information I get from suppliers/manufacturers. :M5thumbs:

One of the 'quick wins' I've already had on for some time is the Dinan rear sway. It definetly has an impact. I set it at the middle setting on a completely stock suspension with about 57K miles and must admit that the effect was quite noticeable. At moderate speeds the sensation is a much 'flatter' turn (+). At higher speeds, or agressive cornering - the middle setting is too much for the OE springs/dampers (-). Not only can you perceive the leverage the rear has on how the car responds, but the DSC engaging supports that the middle setting is not quite as fast in the corners with OE suspension. This is not new news for the group, just reinforces some of the comments in other threads. If I weren't going in with the Konis and H&R springs...I'd definetly get some hours in on the outside setting to see if its better.

Based on the type of use the car sees, and my reluctance to spend big bucks - coilovers were not considered.

So I'm going in with the Konis and H&R up front. Should be interesting. Due to the limited amount of time I have, I will actually have some time to test the setup with Koni/H&R up front, and OE dampers with Dinan sway in the rear. Although it's not my long term plan...it's just how I'm going to break up the work. Depending on how it comes out...I may hold off for a while on the Koni rear install. I'm a skeptic (and a careful spender $) so the fact I'm paying for an adjustable damper on the rear that I will set to almost "full soft" and can't easily adjust it has my 'let's be thrifty' bell going off.

The decision to hold on on the rears is also supported by the fact I rarely have passengers larger than 40lbs in the back seat, and when I'm on my 'fun' drives it's always just me. The majority of the miles on the car were with only a driver...I assume the rears are still in good shape (they seem to be).

I'm a fairly spirited driver in the 45-xx mph range on rural/mountain roads with lots of twisties...so we'll see how it turns out. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just curious why you would want to go "full soft" on the rear shocks. If you want to dial out understeer, firmer settings for the rear shocks are in order.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CarbonBeast said:
Just curious why you would want to go "full soft" on the rear shocks. If you want to dial out understeer, firmer settings for the rear shocks are in order.
I'm not necessarily planning on going full soft when I install the rears...I actually won't know what the ideal setting will be until I get a chance to operate the car with the front springs/konis in. ??????

I agree, firmer settings on the rear shocks will likely be in order, but with the Dinan rear sway I should probably approach one variable at a time. I'm interested to see what I can accomplish with the front shock adjustments and the Dinan rear sway adjustments before I add a 3rd variable. (I'll keep my tire pressures consistent - 41fr, 36r)

To me all of this complexity is fun...but I can see why others just go the Dinan route completely. I understand that I may end up removing the H&Rs and going back to stock, or picking up a set of Dinan springs. Either way it gives me an excuse to spend time tinkering. (I'll do the labor myself)
:cheers:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Konis and H&R project...thanks (pics)

Well, the install went well yesterday, and I've had a chance to go out early today and take some shots as well as test (with the seat of my pants) the results of the Koni/H&R install up front.

Situation: 44 degrees, Sunday morning roads are empty.
Tires: 41 front, 36 rear; Toyo T1-S (with <1000 miles on them)
Load: 1 driver, 1/2 tank of fuel
Mods: Dinan rear sway on the middle setting; Koni front shocks 1 full turn from soft; H&R front springs. (OE rear dampers/springs)

Handling: The ride is noticeably more controlled from the front shocks, and it is apparent the Koni rear shocks (when I install them) will help tune the car's response to bumps. The ride is firmer, but not that far removed from stock. The car did not bottom out during my 'spirited' drive this morning. This includes bridge crossings at the bottom of sharp hills with bad pavement seams. The car is much more neutral now with the new dampers/springs than when I had just the Dinan rear sway set at middle with the OE setup. In fact the 'turn in' is surprisingly sharp :M5launch: . So much so that I am interested to see if there is actually an alignment factor that is contributing to this. (I speculate the H&R springs have created some additional negative camber?). Anyway this setup feels much faster and more neutral through the turns. The DSC behavior supports this, and the oversteer I was getting from the 'Dinan sway only' setup has been minimized.

Appearance: Hmmm. The jury is still out on this one. The measurements now are 13 3/8" from center of Roundel to fender. (13 1/2" on the passenger side?) I've taken some pics from a few different angles so you can come to your own conclusions. But I've read opinions on this board that this set up looks less-than-favorable. In my opinion it is no further from "perfect" than the somewhat high OE appearance. I leave it up to you to come to your own conclusions and share your thoughts :thumbsup: .

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts