BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their a difference betwqeen the koni and jrz shocks and struts offered by dinan? will i feel the difference between the two?

emperor

·
Registered
776 Posts
Probably just in your pocket. The JRZ are about $200 more per corner. I would look into the Bilstein PSS9 setup. It is $1699 on Bavarian Autosport's site. You would benefit much more if you are looking for handling increase when driving the car hard.

I had the Dinan/Konis on my 540i, and liked the setup as it was much better than the soft stock setup. I am still running stock shocks/springs with the Dinan rear sway bar on my M5. It was just OK at Pocono Raceway last month. I am leaning towards the very adjustable PSS9 setup as other members who went that route have been quite happy.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There's an excellent review/article of the Koni shocks in this month's BMWCar magazine (the one with the M6 on the cover).

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
mikeoski said:
Probably just in your pocket. The JRZ are about $200 more per corner. I would look into the Bilstein PSS9 setup. It is $1699 on Bavarian Autosport's site. You would benefit much more if you are looking for handling increase when driving the car hard.

I had the Dinan/Konis on my 540i, and liked the setup as it was much better than the soft stock setup. I am still running stock shocks/springs with the Dinan rear sway bar on my M5. It was just OK at Pocono Raceway last month. I am leaning towards the very adjustable PSS9 setup as other members who went that route have been quite happy.
The PSS9 is a good setup, but it has one serious shortcoming. The front spring system extends below the top of the tire which reduces tire sidewall clearance by over 3/4". This prevents the use of 9" or 9.5" front wheels to maximize grip. A staggered wheel & tire setup is not the hot setup for track. The front tires are seriously overworked due to the inherent chassis weight bias (53F/47R). Big, oversized front wheels (facilitated by OEM perches or GC) address this issues and produce big gains on the 2 ton noseheavy chassis. The GC setup with similar spring rates will crush PSS9 on the track, if you swap 8 inch front wheels for 9.5's. The GC upper strut mounts with neg camber dialed in will allow even more grip.

If you have NO intention of doing track or installing wider front wheels to increase cornering capabilities, PSS9 is a very good street option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts