BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to replace my front shock absorbers whilst keeping the stock springs because I have just bought a whole load of new Lemforder suspension components for the front axle for a full refresh so makes sense doing the shocks to which are well and truly finished.

I cannot afford the Bilstein B8's at the moment as you also need shorter springs. What do you guys think of these with the stock springs: Koni STR.T Front Damper? Anything better than my totally shot stock dampers (130k mileage).

Any of your expert advice and opinions would be appreciated as I need to order in the next 24 hours.

Thank you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've looked at the Koni online catalogue and Koni themselves do not list these dampers for the E39 M5. They may be only suitable for the other V8 models. I would do a bit more research first before you order and hand over your money. Hopefully other members will chime in on this one to assist you. A call to Koni might be worth while too. Good choice on the Lemforder parts for suspension and steering.

Reactions: FH5

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've just read your signature re your exhaust. That must be LOUD!!!! Clearly, that's the rumbling I can hear up in Birmingham!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've just read your signature re your exhaust. That must be LOUD!!!! Clearly, that's the rumbling I can hear up in Birmingham!
Thanks for your reply. Lol that's me Mr Loud ha ha, I live in Birmingham at the moment too. I haven't seen you around, what M5 do you drive? I have the loud number plate on my M5.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at the Koni online catalogue and Koni themselves do not list these dampers for the E39 M5. They may be only suitable for the other V8 models. I would do a bit more research first before you order and hand over your money. Hopefully other members will chime in on this one to assist you. A call to Koni might be worth while too. Good choice on the Lemforder parts for suspension and steering.
I just need a stock shock replacement, I think the koni should fit as it says compatible with M tech suspension excluding EDC, and I did a cross reference of our stock M5 dampers on realoem and they are the same as 535i and 540i. Would love the B8 shocks and intrax springs like your setup but can't afford at the moment and I really need to change my shocks since I am changing every other arm and steering parts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Lol that's me Mr Loud ha ha, I live in Birmingham at the moment too. I haven't seen you around, what M5 do you drive? I have the loud number plate on my M5.
Aaah! I've heard about the M5 with the 'LOUD' registration being around here. Mine is Silverstone blue with an M5*** reg, normally South Birmingham area. I'm going to the Midlands meet on 28th June as arranged on another forum.

MIDLANDS MEET - 1PM SUNDAY 28th JUNE @ TOYS R US - OLDBURY - DETAILS INSIDE - BMW5 Meets & Events - BMW 5 Series Owners Board

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else have any opinion on a cheap stock shock absorber replacement for the front only for now along with stock BMW springs? Doesn't have to be uprated or anything. Anything temporary for a few months will be better than my knackered stock shocks at 130k miles of abuse, until I buy the B8 setup or coilovers.

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How would my car handle if I just replaced the front shocks only with Bilstein B8's and intrax lowering springs, and leave the rear suspension stock for a few months until I upgrade? Need to do the front now really as all the arms and steering components are being replaced.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Many folks love the Bilsteins. The debate is like TWS vs 5w-30. I'm a fan of the koni yellows and stock springs, tunable and for me, ride more like OE shocks.

I personally would never replace one end of the vehicle, all 4 or nothing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many folks love the Bilsteins. The debate is like TWS vs 5w-30. I'm a fan of the koni yellows and stock springs, tunable and for me, ride more like OE shocks.

I personally would never replace one end of the vehicle, all 4 or nothing.

I hear what you're saying. But I was thinking I should be alright for a few months because the front suspension is what gets the most abuse on cornering and heavy braking, both of which I do regularly. Heavy breaking has finally destroyed all my front suspension and steering components lol. Maybe even having the back stock for a few months will help with launches off the line as more weight will be transferred to the road with the soft, worn rear suspension meaning better traction?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've finally decided guys, made my mind up, I will keep stock shocks and springs all round and get the BC coilover set in the near future :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts