BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i started with full soft in the rear, then went 1 turn from full soft and felt it was too stiff so yesterday i pulled the struts for the 2nd time to adjust them. with the damper straight up and down i compressed the rod fully with my body weight and the turned it with a ratchet and hex bit clockwise as far as it will go back to full soft. when i released tension on the rod it would not come back out of the strut body. tried it on the other strut and the same damn thing! wtf is going on with these struts, are the adjusters inside them broken? i could see is i adjusted these 100 times but they are like new. so i compressed them again and turned the piston/rod fully counterclockwise and the popped back out like normal. tried clockwise again, same thing, stuck down and wont return. so i had to leave them at the full counterclockwise(which i believe is full firm setting) for the moment. has anyone else ran into this problem?

·
4,353 Posts
this is what you're experiencing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZfDDzW9UXI

you cannot use adjustable items at their extreme settings, i learned this the hardway with my bilsteins

I'm switching to Konis + Dinan springs myself soon & I'm surprised 1 full turn from soft is too harsh when most recommend at least 1.25 as per Dinan spec (obviously you might not be using Dinan Springs)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
1/2 turn from full soft is ideal for the rears with stock springs, though 3/4 could probably be ok since it's an M5, but it was too stiff for me in my 530i with the same model number rear struts. Higher than that and it's skittish all over the place and way too harsh on bumpy roads. Obviously on Dinan springs, it will likely be different, which is why they suggest a higher setting.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
called koni tech support yesterday... im an idiot. the rears are opposite of the front. with the strut standing on the ground in its installed position if you turn the rod clockwise you are going firm, counter clockwise soft. the tech rep told me it is normal for the rod not to come back out of the strut body if you set it to full firm, idk highly dubious imo but whatever. anyway i adjusted to what i think is around .75 turn from full soft. after adjusting i compress both of the rods at the same time and observe how fast they come up out of the body in comparison to each other and the tweak one or the other so they are the same. i'll report back today as to how the car feels. also im running stock rear springs with one and a half coils cut off the top. not slammed by any means but not stock ride height, fronts are h&r springs iirc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
called koni tech support yesterday... im an idiot. the rears are opposite of the front. with the strut standing on the ground in its installed position if you turn the rod clockwise you are going firm, counter clockwise soft. the tech rep told me it is normal for the rod not to come back out of the strut body if you set it to full firm, idk highly dubious imo but whatever. anyway i adjusted to what i think is around .75 turn from full soft. after adjusting i compress both of the rods at the same time and observe how fast they come up out of the body in comparison to each other and the tweak one or the other so they are the same. i'll report back today as to how the car feels. also im running stock rear springs with one and a half coils cut off the top. not slammed by any means but not stock ride height, fronts are h&r springs iirc.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I'd like to know how your suspension feels at 3/4th turns from soft?

I have Koni Yellows with OEM springs. 3/4 from soft front and rear, and they are way too harsh for me on bumpy roads (which are the majority of the roads in California). I can't drive the car like this any more.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
idk because i got rid of the koni's shortly after that last post and went with bilsteins. don't think koni's are a good fit for stock springs. the spring is too long imo for the strut. they're meant for lowering springs and not super low slammer springs. if the spring is to short or too long the strut is not going to be in it's proper working range and the ride is going to suffer and the strut is going to have a short lifespan.

·
Registered
180 Posts
idk because i got rid of the koni's shortly after that last post and went with bilsteins. don't think koni's are a good fit for stock springs. the spring is too long imo for the strut. they're meant for lowering springs and not super low slammer springs. if the spring is to short or too long the strut is not going to be in it's proper working range and the ride is going to suffer and the strut is going to have a short lifespan.
Do you remember how you had the spring perch set on your rear Konis?

Also, how do you like the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
left it where it was, in the middle. i like them, firmer than konis but bulletproof and no stupid adjuster crap to break.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How about on bumpy roads or potholes?

I think I'm gonna swap out the Konis for Bilsteins... but we have some bad roads in California.

I was happy with Bilsteins in my E36 on these bad roads though, so I should probably give them a shot.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
don't know how else to say it, they're firm, much more than stock and more than konis, koni's are low pressure gas shocks hence why they give a softer ride but are problematic and lack compression damping. id you like them on the e36 i don't think you'll be unhappy with them on the m5 as long as they are paired with the right springs. if you're using the stock springs get the HD's, lowering springs, get the Sports(B8's).

·
4,353 Posts
don't know how else to say it, they're firm, much more than stock and more than konis, koni's are low pressure gas shocks hence why they give a softer ride but are problematic and lack compression damping. id you like them on the e36 i don't think you'll be unhappy with them on the m5 as long as they are paired with the right springs. if you're using the stock springs get the HD's, lowering springs, get the Sports(B8's).

does anyone have sources for the bilstien HD? I want to see what the difference is between them and the B8

also illmatik, if the Koni Yellow are the issue, your options are either OE or Koni FSD

Koni FSD:
KONI NA | List

Cheapest OE shocks I've found are available from schmiedmann:
Schmiedmann - Styling/Tuning/Spare parts for BMW - New parts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
difference between the hd and the sports is the length of the rod, hd is longer, valving is the same. sports are for lowering springs hd's are for stock springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts