BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the stock front shocks replaced by Koni FSD shocks, and also added the Dinan camber plates. The rear is still stock.
The car height is 14.25" F and 14.00" R (from wheel center to fender lip)

I've been reading up on FSD's and they raise the rear up by 0.50" from stock because Koni forgot to machine a third groove (like in the Koni yellows).

I am debating whether to live with the higher rear or adding a groove to the rear shocks (and voiding the warranty) to lower the wheel 0.50". I know I can also cut half a coil of the springs..

My questions are:
-what the the spring ratio from wheel to shock? To lower the wheel 0.50" the machined groove needs to be spaced less than 0.50", because the shock is closer to the pivot point.
-there is an adjustment on the rear shock, what is the setting people have been using? 90% of the time I am not carrying any passengers, and its my commuter car with no trackdays.
-Is there an adjustment in the front as well?
-I hear a creaking sound when I take sharp 90 turns, and my installer says it might be due to the Dinan plates. Is there any special installation required? torque on bolts? etc..

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
the FSD issues, pros, cons, have been, and continue to be, debated extensively throughout this site.
The search this forum button will help (type FSD), you will find more than you ever dreamed of.

·
Registered
626 Posts
-what the the spring ratio from wheel to shock?

-there is an adjustment on the rear shock

-Is there an adjustment in the front as well?

-I hear a creaking sound when I take sharp 90 turns, and my installer says it might be due to the Dinan plates. Is there any special installation required? torque on bolts? etc..
Answers:

- The third groove is the same distance below the bottom groove as the distance between the two existing grooves. It's one centimeter, I believe. I have both FSD and Yellows, by the way. I'm not guessing. The suspension motion ratio is 1:1 because the wheel and the bottom of the damper are bolted to the same knuckle so they move together and don't pivot.

- The rear is not adjustable, at least not for damping.

- The front is not adjustable at all.

- are the front dampers properly "indexed" (rotated to the correct position in the knuckle)? If not the springs may be hitting the fender liner - they're not concentric to the damper.

Other posters have included pictures of the front installation showing the proper alignment - do a search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts