BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 m5 with eibach sway bars and yellow konis. I just had the rear shocks adjusted now car feels like it is bouncing, car has factory springs.
How do i fix this it makes me ill riding in the car

·
10,455 Posts
unfortunately, the rear shocks are not easily adjustable, sounds like yours are set too stiff. Maybe the shop who did the install can soften them up a bit. Konis have their adjustment screw on the top, easy to get to the fronts, impossible (practically) to get to the rears.
Mike

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
mottati said:
unfortunately, the rear shocks are not easily adjustable, sounds like yours are set too stiff. Maybe the shop who did the install can soften them up a bit. Konis have their adjustment screw on the top, easy to get to the fronts, impossible (practically) to get to the rears.
Mike
With stock springs, the Koni rears should be set between 1/2 turn to about 3/4 turn from full soft. The proper setting for the rear should be carefully researched before doing the job because it is a nightmare & reset is basically like starting over.

Folks usually learn the hard way.

The Ground Control upper plates and springs allow adjustment without tearing the interior out of the car.

·
Banned
155 Posts
I am installing lowering springs 1.2inch drop in the front and 1inch in the back

with koni's all around.

Does everyone with KONI experience agree on the setting for the rear shocks

at 1/2 turn from full soft and 3/4 turn from full soft for the front shocks?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've got stock springs, Koni sports and a Dinan rear sway bar. My konis are 3/4 turn from soft rear and 3/4 from soft front on street and 1 1/4 turn from soft front at the track. The rear is somewhat stiffer than stock but still a good ride. The front at 1 1/4 can be a little harsh on bad streets but really help over stock on the track.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I went 1 turn from soft on the rear only to change it the next weekend.
Its at 3/4 also but I think I might go between the two.
Fronts are 1 or more from full soft.

Richard, are you going to VIR next weekend?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
With stock springs, the Koni rears should be set between 1/2 turn to about 3/4 turn from full soft.
I fully agree. This is ideal for both front and rear. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that is "some" is good, "more" is better. 'tain't so with Koni adjustments. Especially on the street, you need a compliant, not bouncy, suspension. A lot of people adjust them overly stiff and regret it. There is no way to go back except to go back to your shop and have them reset it to the recommended 1/2-3/4 turn from full soft, as the adjustments are next to impossible to reach in the rear once they're in the car. Who told you to set them so stiff anyway? If the shop did, make them do it over. And go to a more knowledgeable shop next time. On the fronts, access is easy, so you can easily switch to a stiffer setting for track days, but this could upset the handling, too. Unlike the rears, it's relatively easy to change back.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lscman said:
With stock springs, the Koni rears should be set between 1/2 turn to about 3/4 turn from full soft. The proper setting for the rear should be carefully researched before doing the job because it is a nightmare & reset is basically like starting over.

Folks usually learn the hard way.

The Ground Control upper plates and springs allow adjustment without tearing the interior out of the car.

I've got the GC kit and I think its a touch hard in the rear.. do I have to get someone to drop the rear shocks to get to them?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
aaronmiles said:
I've got the GC kit and I think its a touch hard in the rear.. do I have to get someone to drop the rear shocks to get to them?
You need to call GC to get instructions, if you don't have them. I do not have their rear kit, but I understand that E39 GC kits sold in the last year have been updated to allow changing the Koni damper setting without tearing the interior of the car apart. I think their upper strut mount is made of multiple pieces and it apparently unbolts from below or something. If this is the case, then you jack up the car and pull the shock assembly off for adjustment.

I should caution you that setting the GC's for optimal ride quality can result in degraded handling. The dampers are supposed to be adjusted to match the spring rates. Trying to tweak dampers to soften the ride resulting from high rate springs does not work, IMO. If the shocks are set lower than 1 Turn from full soft already, further softening will result in underdampened pogo ride with those "higher rate" GC springs.

·
Banned
155 Posts
so sounds like a 1/2 turn in the rear will provide best with comfort and handling.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
so sounds like a 1/2 turn in the rear will provide best with comfort and handling
For stock springs, yes, somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 turn from full soft both front and rear. They have to be adjusted to match the spring rates, however, so a different setting is probably optimum for stiffer springs. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
6spd said:
I went 1 turn from soft on the rear only to change it the next weekend.
Its at 3/4 also but I think I might go between the two.
Fronts are 1 or more from full soft.

Richard, are you going to VIR next weekend?
I am very happy with my settings now. It works on the street and allows a quick front adjustment for track. I was just perfect for the kink at CMP (not too soft but not too stiff). See my Another Fun Weekend thread for a link to the CMP video. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69761

My next event may be Roebling in June.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts