BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Was raining heavy last night and I got in my car to start it up - at which point after firing up the engine a loud electrical humming noise was produced by my dash in the interior of the vehicle. I turned off the car, and it remained. Drove my car home with the humming and parked in the garage, left it there with the noise still humming. The audio goes in and out, but the noise is not from the speakers I don't think. Anyone have a similar issue? This was the first time this happened. Despite humming the entire night in the garage the m6 started up fine, so that means it's not draining my battery?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Open up your trunk and inspect for moisture under the carpet. Clogged trunk drain passages can lead to localized module flooding back there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your help guys. It's stopped beeping now and audio is working again. After what jcolley said I'm also inclined to think it was a leak. Hard to believe these cars are so delicate. Having a vert doesn't help my cause I'm sure!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Open up your trunk and inspect for moisture under the carpet. Clogged trunk drain passages can lead to localized module flooding back there.

I had this, a BMW service doc said this was known issue and moving the electric items solved it. Cant tell you where they moved them too as the dealership done it.

My pdc and a mpm? module both fried.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I had this, a BMW service doc said this was known issue and moving the electric items solved it. Cant tell you where they moved them too as the dealership done it.

My pdc and a mpm? module both fried.
Probably this:

Pictorial DIY - E60 Trunk Electronics Relocate - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

I believe the amplifier module is located along the left side near the wheel well, so OP may want to check there. The convertible may have drainage passages near that for the clamshell hinge area.

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1410143975.173989.jpg

Customer's M6 vert. All three modules died in a rainstorm before the car came to us.

No audio in the car when these were in the car after the rain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts