BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Rather than every peake tool owner calling him, you'd think there would be one central place where he could get news out to all of us. If the reader is giving false codes, then that means it is somewhat still under construction...it's got some bugs. No biggie- no cursing or blowing up. I bought mine last fall so it is already "wrong" in some respect. I think he needs to find a place to get info out to all his customers rather than just the ones who call. I love my Peake, but I wish I could upgrade its software as Peake irons out the bugs. That is what would take me from happy to VERY damn happy. Anyone feel as I do or am I seeing it wrong? Again, no stones being cast. I'm glad we have what we have.

Bill
Yes, some form of product registration upon purchase that would allow us to subscribe to email updates, news and possible upgrades with newer Peake products would be a great step towards ultimate customer service. What I don't understand is seems like this problem with inaccurate tables started just recently with the latest version of the FCX-III, the older FCX's never had this problem as far as I know so you'd think they would thouroughly test out their new products before selling, there arent that many BMW models to go through, they could just go to Bimmerforums or another site to advertise for volunteers/testers and offer discounts on their products to those who showed up as well as a free reading...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is Dan a forum member or a supporting vendor? I think that might be a great first step. If he isn't one, become a supporting vendor and frequent this forum and others looking for opportunities to dispel rumors, false advice, or whatever. There are certainly other supporting vendors that all you have to do is "whistle" practically and they come to your aid post haste! Come on in, the water is fine and we don't (generally) bite-except Doug gets a little testy sometimes:cheers::haha2::haha2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey SlussM5, I also have a new Peake showing table 1B. What I don't get is what did Dan say about the cause of the problem, did he say the Peake reader was misprogrammed? Did he ask you to send it back and exchange it for a different one or just put up with the false code? I mean it's not a big deal to me to ignore the 1B, I'm just trying to understand exactly what he said. Thanks!
All,
Dan informed me that the Reader is fine. It is giving correct codes. The problem lies with the manual for this case.

Dan's version of the manual had the 1b table with the corrected codes, but the printed manual had the 1b table with 6cyl codes. He did not state what caused this, but told me to use the table 18 codes.

I asked him if the next release of the mnaual will have the fixes, and he informed me that it would, along with typo fixes, etc. but left no indication of timing.

I don't know if he is a forum member, but I told him that I was, and that there was a thread about his product.

Just so everyone knows, I do not know him personally, I just took the time to call the customer service hotline instead of using the email.

There are many good ideas that you have with the email updates, etc. Maybe if we send him the ideas, along with what we like and dislike about his product, he will make the improvements.

He thanked me for letting him know about the error, and told me to let you all know of how to handle it. He also told me that he was going to look into the other codes, to see if there were any other tables that may have been impacted.

I don't know how we get him to be a preferred vendor of the board.

John

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The one thing that I must say about Peake, is the customer service is AWESOME!!!! I was in such a hurry to order my reader last Friday, that I wanted it air frieght delivered on Monday. After my online order was placed, I received a phone call from Peake informing me that it would actually take longer with the express shipping because they are in San Jose, CA, and I live near Sacramento (about 90 mins away). They saved me the money, and the reader was delivered USPS, on Saturday!
Ditto.

I tell the same story- procrastinated on buying the reader, then got a code and next thing you know I am paying full price plus UPS red shipping.

I tell people to buy one before the light comes on...

They are also fantastic over the phone.

Regarding sponsorship- they are a pretty small outfit, and they don't have the volume you might think. Truth be told, what more would a sponsorship do for his bottom line?

A

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ditto.

I tell the same story- procrastinated on buying the reader, then got a code and next thing you know I am paying full price plus UPS red shipping.

I tell people to buy one before the light comes on...

They are also fantastic over the phone.

Regarding sponsorship- they are a pretty small outfit, and they don't have the volume you might think. Truth be told, what more would a sponsorship do for his bottom line?

A
I don't know...what does it do for any supporting vendors bottom line? Are you suggesting that a supporting vendor doesn't get any return for their investment? If that's the case I guess they just do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Anyway, he can be a member for free and the free marketing advice he will get might be the best free marketing he will ever find.

And Doug, I meant you! I was just pulling your chain after your post a few back!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now that the Peake reader issue has cleared, has anyone run into a code 50? I can't find a thing anywhere on the web that would help me understand what a Switch-chain grip is.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Now that the Peake reader issue has cleared, has anyone run into a code 50? I can't find a thing anywhere on the web that would help me understand what a Switch-chain grip is.
Didn't we determine that 50 in table 18 is a secondary air fault? and that Peake said table 1b should actually have the same list of faults as 18....

so Table 1b, code 50 = table 18, code 50

·
Registered
437 Posts

d-
You're a good guy Doug and make me laugh! I wouldn't have said it if I didn't think that you would know I was just having fun. You're a big help on these forum and I can see you have tremendous experience.

As far as the chain grip thing goes, I too would like to know what the hell it is. I am not sure about the 1b=table 18 as I don't know sitting here what table 1b says. I had table OF codes 50,& 51 and secondary air seemed a lot more plausible than this chain grip error and a MLF interface malfunction. I think it is MFL anyway and it's for the steering wheel controls of which I have no problem I know of. If anyone can tell us what this chain grip thing is, I'd like to know myself. Nothing in the manual about it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think it is more likely your air pump which has no affect on driveability whatsoever. Reset and see how soon it comes back. I really think it is a minor issue and hopefully you will find that you just need to replace the vacuum hose as they get small cracks in them and will leak even though they look OK.

Bill

·
Registered
936 Posts
Didn't we determine that 50 in table 18 is a secondary air fault? and that Peake said table 1b should actually have the same list of faults as 18....

so Table 1b, code 50 = table 18, code 50
Code 50 on table 18 is not to do with secondary air faults;

50 Switch-chain grip

Richie.

·
Registered
437 Posts
He (we) know this Richie, but thanks anyway. We are getting some conflicting info that table 1b is the same as table 18 for an M5 and table 1b says secondary air and table 18 says chain grip. You have to read back a few posts.:cheers:

·
Registered
936 Posts
He (we) know this Richie, but thanks anyway. We are getting some conflicting info that table 1b is the same as table 18 for an M5 and table 1b says secondary air and table 18 says chain grip. You have to read back a few posts.:cheers:
Yeah - think I'm getting confused ouich

It was just that Ard said 'didn't we determine that 50 in table 18 is a secondary air fault?' so I thought I would try to add to the confusion yawnnnn

cherrsagai

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think maybe his wording was wrong. Apparently Dan, the owner of Peake, said that there are a couple errors in the program and he said something to the effect that Table 1b, if indicated on the reader, might supercede what table 50 said. Who knows. I think if someone could tell us what the hell a chain grip is, then we might be able to determine whether it is even likely a real fault. I got codes earlier in the week on my 540i my 2000 codes 50 & 51.
For my car it came up table 0F , 50, 51, --. Table 0F says secondary air pump which makes 100% sense. On an M5, OP said they just got a code 50 on their M5. Dan was called and said it might be table 1B that was applicable in this case but that table 18 is generally always the tabke for an M5. We are trying to document the number of non-table18 faults anyone sees on an M5. We have two reports so far where a table came up first reading an M5 that were other tables. Don't feel bad, we are all a little confused and that is why Dan Peake joining the net might be a great addition for us and free market info for him. Still WHAY THE HELL IS A CHAIN GRIP?? Ferris....Anyone???

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'll save you guys the time - I've been googling "switch chain grip" for the last couple hours (unemployment has benefits when it comes to curiousity!) and have found nothing even remotely related to automotive.

d-

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think maybe his wording was wrong. Apparently Dan, the owner of Peake, said that there are a couple errors in the program and he said something to the effect that Table 1b, if indicated on the reader, might supercede what table 50 said. Who knows. I think if someone could tell us what the hell a chain grip is, then we might be able to determine whether it is even likely a real fault. I got codes earlier in the week on my 540i my 2000 codes 50 & 51.
For my car it came up table 0F , 50, 51, --. Table 0F says secondary air pump which makes 100% sense. On an M5, OP said they just got a code 50 on their M5. Dan was called and said it might be table 1B that was applicable in this case but that table 18 is generally always the tabke for an M5. We are trying to document the number of non-table18 faults anyone sees on an M5. We have two reports so far where a table came up first reading an M5 that were other tables. Don't feel bad, we are all a little confused and that is why Dan Peake joining the net might be a great addition for us and free market info for him. Still WHAY THE HELL IS A CHAIN GRIP?? Ferris....Anyone???
Okay, you may have determined that earlier, but in my manual table 18 has 50 being a switch chain grip.

Also, I stated that Dan said the printed manual that I had received had the incorrect codes under table 1b. That's where the errors were. We did not get into how the printed manual got screwed up. We did discuss what the correct codes were, and that in what he was looking at, (I am not sure if it was printed, or electronic, my guess electronic) the codes that correspond to the printed manual table 18 should have been listed under table 1b.

Keep in mind that my reader is the R5/FCX3 nd other readers that I have seen referenced in the board were R5FCXII, which may be adding to the confusion.

I will give you a copy paste of the proper codes for the M5 using a Peake reader model R5/FCX3:

Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:08 AM
To: SlussM5
Subject: BMW tool Table

John

Code System or Sensor

01 Fuel pump relay
02 Idle speed actuator (close)
03 Fuel Injector, Cyl #1
04 Fuel Injector, Cyl #3
05 Fuel Injector, Cyl #2
06 Timeout SMG-CAN
07 Intake camshaft position sensor
08 Intake camshaft position sensor 2 (V8)
09 Knock sensor 1
0A Exhaust camshaft position sensor
0B Exhaust camshaft position sensor 2 (V8)
0C PreCat oxygen sensor 2
0D PreCat oxygen sensor 1
0E Tank small leak
0F Crankshaft/Camshaft position correlation
10 Crankshaft sensor
11 SMG shifting
12 Map controlled thermostat actuator
13 Secondary air pump relay
14 Starter relay
15 Exhaust camshaft VANOS retard valve
16 Exhaust camshaft VANOS advance valve
17 Ignition Coil, Cyl #2
18 Ignition Coil, Cyl #3
19 Ignition Coil, Cyl #1
1A Ignition Coil, Cyl #8
1B DM-TL switching valve
1C Map controlled thermostat control
1D Idle speed actuator (open)
1E Control unit self-test, A/D converter monitoring
1F Fuel Injector, Cyl #5
20 Fuel Injector, Cyl #6
21 Fuel Injector, Cyl #4
22 Fuel Injector, Cyl #7
23 Fuel Injector, Cyl #8
24 Evaporative emission purge control valve
25 PreCat oxygen sensor 1 heater control
26 PreCat oxygen sensor 2 heater control
27 AfterCat oxygen sensor 1 heater control
28 AfterCat oxygen sensor 2 heater control
29 Air mass sensor 1
2A Vehicle speed input signal, hardwired "A" signal
2B Radiator outlet temperature sensor
2C Thermal oil level sensor
2D Drive-by-wire throttle actuator driver
2E Fuel consumption (KVA) signal output
2F Engine RPM (TD) signal output
30 A/C Compressor relay
32 Ignition Coil, Cyl #4
33 Ignition Coil, Cyl #6
34 Ignition Coil, Cyl #5
35 Electronic fan (relay)
36 Battery voltage behind main relay
37 Ignition Coil, Cyl #7
39 Air mass sensor 2
3A Sensor voltage supply 1
3B Sensor voltage supply 2
3C Pedal position sensor 1, master measurement
3D Pedal position sensor 2, master measurement
3F Secondary air switching valve
41 Throttle position sensor 2, slave measurement
42 EWS interface
43 Intake camshaft VANOS advance valve 1
45 Knock sensor 3
46 Knock sensor 2
47 Knock sensor 4
48 Intake camshaft VANOS retard valve 1
49 Air mass sensor, plausibility
4A Intake camshaft VANOS advance valve 2
4B Intake camshaft VANOS retard valve 2
4C Ambient pressure sensor
4D Intake air temperature sensor
4E Coolant temperature sensor
4F Exhaust gas temperature sensor
50 Switch-chain grip
51 MFL interface signal
52 Muffler flap
53 Exhaust camshaft VANOS advance valve 2
54 Exhaust camshaft VANOS retard valve 2
55 Throttle position sensor, master measurement
56 CAN bus offline
57 AfterCat oxygen sensor 1 voltage
58 AfterCat oxygen sensor 2 voltage
59 Control unit self-test, Safety Concept slave check
5A PreCat oxygen sensor 1 aging
5B PreCat oxygen sensor 2 aging
5C AfterCat oxygen sensor 1 aging
5D AfterCat oxygen sensor 2 aging
60 Radiator outlet temperature plausibility
63 Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check
64 Tire pressure left front
65 Tire pressure right front
66 Tire pressure right back
67 Tire pressure left back
69 Engine coolant temperature, Plausibility
6A Brake light switch
6B Control unit self-test, pre-drive check of drive-by-wire system
6C Switching valve oil circuit left
6D Switching valve oil circuit right
6E Sport switch LED indicator
6F Pedal position sensor 1, cross check
70 Pedal position sensor 2, cross check
71 Intake camshaft 2 VANOS position control
72 Exhaust camshaft 2 VANOS position control
73 Control unit self-test, internal ECU temperature
74 Servotronic valve current
75 Servotronic speed signal
76 Throttle position sensor 1
77 Throttle position sensor 2
78 Throttle position sensors, cross check
79 Throttle position sensors, both bad
7A Control unit self-test, master processor
7B Bus offline, SMG-CAN
7C Active engine bearing
7D Spoiler adjustment
7E Fuel pump crash shut-off
7F DM-TL module
80 Idle speed deviation
81 Catalyst protection engaged, fuel tank low
82 EWS signal, manipulation detected
83 DSC intervention, plausibility
84 DSC message timeout
85 Steering angle sensor message timeout
86 Instrument Cluster message timeout
87 Vehicle speed signals (both Discrete & CAN)
88 Idle speed controller
89 Jet stream pump
8A Differential lock
8B Cruise control system
8C Engine noise too high
8D Fuel level, plausibility
8E System jet stream pump
8F E-box-fan
90 Fuel control, Bank 1
91 Fuel control, Bank 2
95 Misfire w/ empty fuel tank
96 Control unit self-test, memory test master
97 Control unit self-test, driver diagnostics chain
98 Control unit self-test, communication master
9A Crankcase venting
9B Control unit self-test, adaption EEPROM master
9C Control unit self-test, adaption EEPROM slave
9D Control unit self-test, memory test slave
9E Control unit self-test, communication slave
9F Control unit self-test, knock detection IC 1
A0 Control unit self-test, knock detection IC 2
A1 Knock control
A2 Crankshaft/Camshaft position 2 correlation
A3 Control unit self-test, master resets
AA Secondary air system, flow too low
AB Secondary air system, valve sticking
AC VANOS pressure storage valve
AD Starter switch input
AE Air-fuel adaptation, Bank 1
AF Air-fuel adaptation, Bank 2
B0 DMTL Error
B1 MIL external info
B2 Catalyst system efficiency, Bank 1
B3 Catalyst system efficiency, Bank 2
B4 Tank leak detected
B5 Filler cap open
B6 Injection driver 1, over temp.
B7 Injection driver 2, over temp.
B8 Intake camshaft 1 VANOS position control
B9 Exhaust camshaft 1VANOS position control
BA Ignition output stage, Cyl #1
BB Ignition output stage, Cyl #2
BC Ignition output stage, Cyl #3
BD Ignition output stage, Cyl #4
BE Ignition output stage, Cyl #5
BF Ignition output stage, Cyl #6
C0 Ignition output stage, Cyl #7
C1 Ignition output stage, Cyl #8
C2 Control unit self-test, cruise control shut-off
C3 Control unit self-test, torque manager monitoring
C4 Misfire, Cyl #1
C5 Misfire, Cyl #2
C6 Misfire, Cyl #3
C7 Misfire, Cyl #4
C8 Misfire, Cyl #5
C9 Misfire, Cyl #6
CA Misfire, Cyl #7
CB Misfire, Cyl #8
CC Misfire, multiple cylinders
CD Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #1
CE Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #2
CF Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #3
D0 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #4
D1 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #5
D2 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #6
D3 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #7
D4 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #8
D5 Misfire during warm-up, multiple cylinders
D6 PreCat oxygen sensor 1 slow response
D7 PreCat oxygen sensor 2 slow response
D8 PreCat oxygen sensor 1 slow switching (rich to lean)
D9 PreCat oxygen sensor 2 slow switching (rich to lean)
DA PreCat oxygen sensor 1 signal size/amplitude
DB PreCat oxygen sensor 2 signal size/amplitude
DD Crankcase ventilation system check
DE CAN timeout - ZSG
DF Intake manifold pressure
E0 Load signal plausibility
E1 Ambient temperature
E2 Instrument cluster relative time
E4 Drive-by-wire, throttle control failure
E5 Drive-by-wire, throttle control failure
E6 Drive-by-wire, throttle position failure
E7 Control unit self-test, slave processor check
E8 Evaporative emissions purge valve functional check
F7 VANOS pressure accumulator valve
F8 Intake camshaft 1 VANOS moving time
F9 Exhaust camshaft 1 VANOS moving time
FA Intake camshaft 1 VANOS sealing
FB Exhaust camshaft 1 VANOS sealing
FC Intake camshaft 2 VANOS moving time
FD Exhaust camshaft 2 VANOS moving time
FE Intake camshaft 2 VANOS sealing
FF Exhaust camshaft 2 VANOS sealing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having just posted the correct codes as provided to me by Mr Peake. I am still in a quandry of what the heck a Switch chain grip is!?!?!?

I am beginning to agree with Doug and BMW X2 about the S&M connection. I am beginning to wonder if I am a masochist at heart. My car is full of leather, and it is beginning to become a pain to diagnose....

81 - 100 of 966 Posts